Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
currently at ...
the Forum Reception v Intent
the Blog New Enhancement Film Typ...
0 films ranked
You Explore Interact Resources
Search
Profile All Your Rankings Starred Reviews Your Best TCIs PSIs Kumpels Wishlist
Random Film
Cave of Forgotten Dreams (2011)
Post to Facebook
Posted to your Facebook profile
Rank It
500 characters left
Summary: Werner Herzog gains exclusive access to film inside the Chauvet caves of Southern France, capturing the oldest known pictorial creations of humankind in their astonishing natural setting. (imdb)
Country: Germany
More information at IMDb
Ratings
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na theguest
na ed ved
na FunkyAstro
T6
Herzog manages to take relatively banal subject matter and through his mad genius and the wonderful way he asks insightful questions, he always seems to capture his audiences and really makes them think about the topic in a different way. He forgot to do that this time.
na richard_1979
na magnoliakid
na roybenshai
na Gobman
na Josh Forrest
na Moribunny
T8
Saw this in 2d unfortunately, but it's pretty great anyway. I'm no longer sure why I ever doubted that Herzog would be capable of getting an engaging hour and a half out of a single cave. He does foray into scientists' speculations about paleolithic Europe in general, and generally pursues everything these cave paintings might make you wonder.
na darthfrede
na lippecesar
na luc
na drstrangeluv
T8
Even without the 3D, this is still a thoroughly engrossing documentary. Watch as Werner explores what we can learn about our existence by studying 32,000 year old cave paintings. And of course, it wouldn't be a Herzog documentary without musings on things such as the art criticism of albino crocodiles.
na honeycuttwc
na O_o
na jojomill
na danastevens
T10
If you're interested in the history of the human race-if you're a member of the human race-you owe it to yourself to see this movie.
na killcare
na comepelicula
na mallamp
na TrixRabbi
T4
Very slow, very dry. The cave is amazing, but it feels like Herzog is treading water far too often. It honestly would have worked much better as a short.
na orkunersin
na CHOICECOD
na karamazov.
T6
Better than whatever documentary's on television right now, I guess. Ending was excellent.
na JasonKDarby
na stailea
na hattrik
na Kojiless
T4
The paintings are awe-inspiring, and Herzog does an excellent job of poking and prodding the quirky characters who work in and around the cave, but as is the case with most of his movies, CoFD ends up being 15 minutes of content stretched in Herzogian fashion to 60.
na ericdupont
na wpp
na comanchex
na Rufam
T5
Both Herzog's infectious enthusiasm and the inherent fascination of the subject matter result in a lot of awe-inspiring sequences and thought-provoking observations. Still, it's a somewhat overlong and uneven film, one that goes back and forth between genuinely eye-popping footage and commentary and several dull, unnecessary stretches.
na mandy
T6
Memorable and insightful - wonderfully narrated and directed by Herzog.
na kakivsjok
na lucbapt
na DBibby
na emtilt
T4
(2D version) This film is something of a failure. It's rather unfocused and poorly structured, while also lacking enough content for its length.
na chemtrails
Glad I watched this
na Darkling
na pilgermann
T4
I'm glad I got to see this, but it was sorta disappointing. The people that are featured are nice intelligent folks, but they aren't the interesting sorts that the director finds, not even the perfume expert. Herzog's narration also isn't as clever or inspired. There's a long stretch towards the end of nothing but paintings and music, and it's beautiful. The 3D effect is impressive with almost tangible contours of stone and ghostly lighting. Would've worked better if it were shorter.
na Coredor
na RUIMJO
na redmdb
na joseywales
T4
Quite disappointing. I went in expecting another fantastic Herzogian Documentary and instead got a Discovery Channel special. The art and its history were fantastic but the film just wasn't.
na TraverseTown
na firebirdekb
na blahzor
na jacobb1313
T7
Whatever. This film completely worked for me. Herzog envelops you in the idea that this art... has been around... for 30,000 years. For comparison, Christianity has been around for 2,000. From that perspective, these scratches of horses on cave walls hold profound cultural and spiritual resonance, something proto and primal, that I think validates all of Herzog's funky wanderings into albino crocodiles. It's something beyond him, definitely, to explain, but also way beyond us.
na samcoarse
T9
Quite a stunning hardcut from the second last shot to the shot the final credits roll over. This film makes me consider a few things. Leaving a mark for the future might just be the only admirable beacon someone can light during a life. As well as part of what Herzog covered in the post script, that we are here now, a floating collection of consciousness with no solid state, we have no representation of what is real unless it is hard carved into time like these drawings. How far have we come?
na Phelipe
na LordBeefJerk
na EgbertSouse
na DavidJohnson
T5
Interesting, but about 45 minutes too long. Would have been a better 1 hour TV special or something. Lot's of long shots of art that ultimately looks like it was done by a 12 year old. Maybe I'm the only one, but the art isn't the thing that's interesting, it's the backstory of what could have taken place, and something so historic that's interesting, so I'm sorry if I'm bored by a 10 minute slideshow with no dialogue near the end.
na DetoxP
na dzacharyt
na Guernica
na Disaster
T5
The subject matter and some of his framing made me feel uncomfortable, like squirming under a bright light. At times, however, I felt the pacing to be a bit too meandering and flighty. The end bit was staggering, though.
na imdb
na lauratron
na Aron Ericson
na closedmouth
T4
Some nice images, but Herzog's narration is pretty overcooked and rambling (the postscript is incomprehensible). About two-thirds of the way through he seems to run out of ideas and the film just kind of slowly fades away.
na tomelce
T9
Thematically expansive and visually resplendent, Cave of Forgotten Dreams reaffirms Herzog's standing as a premier documentarian. Speaking in cinematic language without losing sight of the monumentally interesting facets of age-old discoveries of human art and natural history made inside the titular cave, his film amazes and delights with breadth of insight and heartfelt testimony. Cave's success alone is almost enough to make 2011 a banner year for documentary films.
na ekxon
na Cornica
na upagainst
na Rufflesack
T5
oldgoat pretty much says it. The paintings are spectacular, interesting, awe-inspiring - the use of 3D an inspired act in itself. But basically, this is a documentary about one particularly large canvas of painting, where most of what fills the canvas is fairly similar, and it lasts 90 minutes which is easily twice as long as it should be. A lot of interesting stuff but it's really not a singularly solid documentary like Grizzly Man was. Must be seen though, and in 3D.
na cosmocean
na quez2go
T4
Much more interesting than I expected, and some beautiful visuals, but longer than it needs to be and lulled me into a rather pleasant sleep for about 20 minutes in the middle.
na p00q
na The Way
na Timmer
na Tomhet
T7
Herzog could film himself reading a shampoo bottle and it would somehow end up being enthralling and profound.
na Golfingdanls
na dormice
na Derekstar
T4
To be honest, it felt like Herzog had about an hour (or perhaps even less) of useful footage, and elected out of necessity to show the same paintings several times from different perspectives. That's how it felt, anyways. I'm a huge fan of Herzog, and if you ask me every one of his documentaries are worth seeing. But Cave of Forgotten Dreams is one of his lesser ones. And as to the 3D, I can't see 3D in movies, so it quite literally added nothing for me.
na gwynplaine
na NRM01
na readingowl
na jodamico
T9
There were some missed opportunities, and a weird tension between the History Channel bits and the Herzogy-bits, but there were also moments of almost unutterable beauty. That ten-minute or so montage at the end of all the paintings was breathtaking. The 3D truly was imperative - not just on the texture of the wall as I anticipated but in a myriad of little ways, like the way it brought out the sparkling crystal surface of the cave.
na ktothea
na zurnzurn
na felixm85
na OMGFridge
T7
Interesting subject matter yet I never felt fully engulfed or transported by Herzog. More like a very solid tv special.
na Viva Vox
na doughbaron
na TAYLOR-MANIA
na IluvMovies
na gloam
na PerryStroika
T8
With 3D this is a truly unforgettable experience.
na jspidah
na Darth Jenius
na Gordon Cole
na ahamel7896
na littlepanda
na felipetschuk
na KasperL
T3
Beautiful shots and some effective 3D wasn't enough. The interviewees clearly found the cave drawings much more interesting than me.
na hardcoreufo