Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
currently at ...
the Forum Guess the movie from th...
the Blog Order Filmmaker List by ...
0 films ranked
You Explore Interact Resources
Search
Profile All Your Rankings Starred Reviews Your Best TCIs PSIs Kumpels Wishlist
Random Film
Cave of Forgotten Dreams (2011)
Share Post to Facebook
Posted to your Facebook profile
Rank It
500 characters left
Summary: Werner Herzog gains exclusive access to film inside the Chauvet caves of Southern France, capturing the oldest known pictorial creations of humankind in their astonishing natural setting. (imdb)
Country: Germany
More information at IMDb
Ratings
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na Tomhet
T7
Herzog could film himself reading a shampoo bottle and it would somehow end up being enthralling and profound.
na Dan41
na NeoRaven
na imdb
na brendoman
T6
Caves are awesome and so is Werner Herzog so I really dug it.
na adidawha
na JasonKDarby
na fartblaster
na honeycuttwc
na PDMChubby
na GadnoKopele
na mandy
T6
Memorable and insightful - wonderfully narrated and directed by Herzog.
na FreddieQuell
na danastevens
T10
If you're interested in the history of the human race-if you're a member of the human race-you owe it to yourself to see this movie.
na Darbicus
na IMDBpredict
na cruelclown
na quez2go
T4
Much more interesting than I expected, and some beautiful visuals, but longer than it needs to be and lulled me into a rather pleasant sleep for about 20 minutes in the middle.
na Actionberg
T6
The immobile closeup shots of the cave paintings are the finest implementation of 3D I've ever seen; the astounding and borderline spiritual depth that is elicited from this technique is very memorable. However, anything not related to the former is so jarring and pointless. Why does the entire documentary have to feature 3D effects, especially when it's just a guy sitting in a room talking to Herzog? Everyone should probably see it, but the director has done better.
na coutinho
na CHOICECOD
na Duval Spit
na closedmouth
T4
Some nice images, but Herzog's narration is pretty overcooked and rambling (the postscript is incomprehensible). About two-thirds of the way through he seems to run out of ideas and the film just kind of slowly fades away.
na magnoliakid
na cosmocean
na dzacharyt
na Derekstar
T4
To be honest, it felt like Herzog had about an hour (or perhaps even less) of useful footage, and elected out of necessity to show the same paintings several times from different perspectives. That's how it felt, anyways. I'm a huge fan of Herzog, and if you ask me every one of his documentaries are worth seeing. But Cave of Forgotten Dreams is one of his lesser ones. And as to the 3D, I can't see 3D in movies, so it quite literally added nothing for me.
na stailea
na Barkinson
na ozonepaul
na Ag0stoMesmer
T10
[2D TV] Surprisingly affecting film, showing the works 'through' the awe and enthusiasm of the investigators -a likeable and slightly eccentric bunch- was a great move. It's a shame some were dubbed but perhaps subtitles would 'break' the 3d. Unusual and stylish soundtrack.
na killcare
na 3rdman
na theficionado
na TAYLOR-MANIA
na skopofil
na Gesine
na jacobb1313
T7
Whatever. This film completely worked for me. Herzog envelops you in the idea that this art... has been around... for 30,000 years. For comparison, Christianity has been around for 2,000. From that perspective, these scratches of horses on cave walls hold profound cultural and spiritual resonance, something proto and primal, that I think validates all of Herzog's funky wanderings into albino crocodiles. It's something beyond him, definitely, to explain, but also way beyond us.
na NRM02
na moonsmilk
na LouisMazzini
na samcoarse
T9
Quite a stunning hardcut from the second last shot to the shot the final credits roll over. This film makes me consider a few things. Leaving a mark for the future might just be the only admirable beacon someone can light during a life. As well as part of what Herzog covered in the post script, that we are here now, a floating collection of consciousness with no solid state, we have no representation of what is real unless it is hard carved into time like these drawings. How far have we come?
na maksler
na ed ved
na Telemecus
na drstrangeluv
T8
Even without the 3D, this is still a thoroughly engrossing documentary. Watch as Werner explores what we can learn about our existence by studying 32,000 year old cave paintings. And of course, it wouldn't be a Herzog documentary without musings on things such as the art criticism of albino crocodiles.
na The Way
na Budhisattva
na Tylerlee06
na ArmondWhite
T7
Leave it to Werner Herzog to find a use for 3D technology that isn't part of some gimmick to hoodwink kids of all ages.
na GothamCity
na Scottathon
na Plotinus
na DeadFox
na andymalafaya
na Rufflesack
T5
oldgoat pretty much says it. The paintings are spectacular, interesting, awe-inspiring - the use of 3D an inspired act in itself. But basically, this is a documentary about one particularly large canvas of painting, where most of what fills the canvas is fairly similar, and it lasts 90 minutes which is easily twice as long as it should be. A lot of interesting stuff but it's really not a singularly solid documentary like Grizzly Man was. Must be seen though, and in 3D.
na krf7
T4
Sort of a hybrid Herzog film/Discovery Channel film that doesn't do well in either category. From an information perspective, not enough is explained about the cave and its place in history, and from the Herzog perspective, his deep-thinking questions are a bit bizarre and daft even for him. Have to give it a little credit, though, because this might be the only real-time look we ever get at this cave.
na pristina
na beast
na Tova
na DavidJohnson
T5
Interesting, but about 45 minutes too long. Would have been a better 1 hour TV special or something. Lot's of long shots of art that ultimately looks like it was done by a 12 year old. Maybe I'm the only one, but the art isn't the thing that's interesting, it's the backstory of what could have taken place, and something so historic that's interesting, so I'm sorry if I'm bored by a 10 minute slideshow with no dialogue near the end.
na Hkit
na EchoWilder
na HVM
na TrixRabbi
T4
Very slow, very dry. The cave is amazing, but it feels like Herzog is treading water far too often. It honestly would have worked much better as a short.
na ahamel7896
na fenixdown
na Henrik
na MartinTeller
T6
Herzog narrates the film with his usual spellbinding tones, waxing poetic about the mysteries of the universe. It does occasionally resemble self-parody but I could listen to that guy talk all day. It's not one of his best docs, though. It could use some more interesting interview subjects or some more esoteric tangents. As interesting as the caves are, they don't seem to be quite enough to sustain 90 minutes on their own. But, some mild repetitiveness aside, it's a rather captivating study.
na upagainst
na kubrick86
na NRM01
na caiman
T9
A beautiful movie, visually and thematically. I dislike 3D, but this was an exception. The depth and curvature of the amazing walls came to life with the effect. Hopefully this film will serve as precedent of the potential artistic merits of 3D.
na DetoxP
na camara
na bal3x
na payens
T7
Enhanced experience if seen on 3D at the British Museum.
na Electronic6
na pilgermann
T4
I'm glad I got to see this, but it was sorta disappointing. The people that are featured are nice intelligent folks, but they aren't the interesting sorts that the director finds, not even the perfume expert. Herzog's narration also isn't as clever or inspired. There's a long stretch towards the end of nothing but paintings and music, and it's beautiful. The 3D effect is impressive with almost tangible contours of stone and ghostly lighting. Would've worked better if it were shorter.
na SpaceEcho
na roybenshai
na kevcart4
na Cinema_Asia
T8
In typical Herzog fashion he tries to uncover the thought process behind the subject of this documentary. In this case it's paleolithic artists who painted incredible images in a cave in France. It's great just to hear the wonderment in describing the mindset and the intent on capturing kinetic movement and "frames" that we take as normal. The focus though seems to be the spiritual conjoining of man and his environment. The sense of self is just a depiction on the wall that is timeless.
na matilda
na Simon M.
na fabioleal
na d_drudges
T8
Herzog turns something that should have been boring as hell into something fascinating. As usual, Herzog strikes the perfect balance between letting his footage speak for itself and leading the audience on. I'd take these cave paintings over "modern" art every day.
na sa1988
na laika
na Ercan
na KasperL
T3
Beautiful shots and some effective 3D wasn't enough. The interviewees clearly found the cave drawings much more interesting than me.
na tdawson48
na Viva Vox
na Mattsdmf
na mkellins
T7
Herzog does a wonderful job portraying the cave and the paintings. The interviews are also captivating. The film probably needs to be viewed on a big screen, rather than a lap top, to really appreciate the drawings.
na mtks