Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
currently at ...
the Forum Guess the movie from th...
the Blog Order Filmmaker List by ...
0 films ranked
You Explore Interact Resources
Search
Profile All Your Rankings Starred Reviews Your Best TCIs PSIs Kumpels Wishlist
Random Film
Cave of Forgotten Dreams (2011)
Share Post to Facebook
Posted to your Facebook profile
Rank It
500 characters left
Summary: Werner Herzog gains exclusive access to film inside the Chauvet caves of Southern France, capturing the oldest known pictorial creations of humankind in their astonishing natural setting. (imdb)
Country: Germany
More information at IMDb
Ratings
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na nicks112
na frankslater
na Ag0stoMesmer
T10
[2D TV] Surprisingly affecting film, showing the works 'through' the awe and enthusiasm of the investigators -a likeable and slightly eccentric bunch- was a great move. It's a shame some were dubbed but perhaps subtitles would 'break' the 3d. Unusual and stylish soundtrack.
na moonsmilk
na joaobaldoni
na Henrik
na Communicants
na DavidJohnson
T5
Interesting, but about 45 minutes too long. Would have been a better 1 hour TV special or something. Lot's of long shots of art that ultimately looks like it was done by a 12 year old. Maybe I'm the only one, but the art isn't the thing that's interesting, it's the backstory of what could have taken place, and something so historic that's interesting, so I'm sorry if I'm bored by a 10 minute slideshow with no dialogue near the end.
na cRckls
na KTP
na Gui
na d_drudges
T8
Herzog turns something that should have been boring as hell into something fascinating. As usual, Herzog strikes the perfect balance between letting his footage speak for itself and leading the audience on. I'd take these cave paintings over "modern" art every day.
na TrixRabbi
T4
Very slow, very dry. The cave is amazing, but it feels like Herzog is treading water far too often. It honestly would have worked much better as a short.
na bof
na electriccafe
na PDMChubby
na tinysausage
T7
The usual Herzog concoction of beauty, poetry, eccentrics and... alligators. Again.
na Kagemand
na Hushimitzu
na ekxon
na yesistasty
T10
Werner Herzog has the most easily-parodied style of documentary film-making. Even so, he manages to create a transcendent ode to the human spirit
na roybenshai
na alexandrsaar
na xmoffx
na Nathan S
T6
I really should've seen this in 3D. Nonetheless, it's a good movie. Being Herzog, you should expect more than archaeology, history, and facts. He fills the narration with poetics, delves into some of the scientists' personal eccentricities, and digresses from his main subject. There's not anything much wrong with it, but it doesn't hit me quite as hard as a lot of his other work.
na Uhrmacher
na jodamico
T9
There were some missed opportunities, and a weird tension between the History Channel bits and the Herzogy-bits, but there were also moments of almost unutterable beauty. That ten-minute or so montage at the end of all the paintings was breathtaking. The 3D truly was imperative - not just on the texture of the wall as I anticipated but in a myriad of little ways, like the way it brought out the sparkling crystal surface of the cave.
na Actionberg
T6
The immobile closeup shots of the cave paintings are the finest implementation of 3D I've ever seen; the astounding and borderline spiritual depth that is elicited from this technique is very memorable. However, anything not related to the former is so jarring and pointless. Why does the entire documentary have to feature 3D effects, especially when it's just a guy sitting in a room talking to Herzog? Everyone should probably see it, but the director has done better.
na blahzor
na adamquelch
na Josh Forrest
na friendo55
T7
I really wish I could've watched this in 3D - and I can't believe I'm saying that.
na CFoxtrot
na Carlospro
na Cornica
na krf7
T4
Sort of a hybrid Herzog film/Discovery Channel film that doesn't do well in either category. From an information perspective, not enough is explained about the cave and its place in history, and from the Herzog perspective, his deep-thinking questions are a bit bizarre and daft even for him. Have to give it a little credit, though, because this might be the only real-time look we ever get at this cave.
na Moribunny
T8
Saw this in 2d unfortunately, but it's pretty great anyway. I'm no longer sure why I ever doubted that Herzog would be capable of getting an engaging hour and a half out of a single cave. He does foray into scientists' speculations about paleolithic Europe in general, and generally pursues everything these cave paintings might make you wonder.
na Ranald
T2
The cave paintings are extraordinary and it's a privilege to see them. However, the interview portions are so slow and uninformative, with interesting facts being parceled out at such long intervals, that the movie ends up being a drag.
na pristina
na bones_r
na cayh
na OMGFridge
T7
Interesting subject matter yet I never felt fully engulfed or transported by Herzog. More like a very solid tv special.
na Jos
na mtks
na bobyang
na danastevens
T10
If you're interested in the history of the human race-if you're a member of the human race-you owe it to yourself to see this movie.
na immolations
na Rigters
na p00q
na ozonepaul
na awprokop
na karamazov.
T6
Better than whatever documentary's on television right now, I guess. Ending was excellent.
na NoSex
na aethling
na coutinho
na caiman
T9
A beautiful movie, visually and thematically. I dislike 3D, but this was an exception. The depth and curvature of the amazing walls came to life with the effect. Hopefully this film will serve as precedent of the potential artistic merits of 3D.
na kurisu1974
na NRM02
na -Vahid-
na closedmouth
T4
Some nice images, but Herzog's narration is pretty overcooked and rambling (the postscript is incomprehensible). About two-thirds of the way through he seems to run out of ideas and the film just kind of slowly fades away.
na guppy
na Gesine
na daisylegs
na janus
T5
A little too wacky for a straight doc but doesn't take enough steps in that direction to become a "film essay" like Koyaanisqatsi or F for Fake. Still, the paintings and the cave are fantastic, and captured well. I wasn't able to see it in 3d, which I gather is an essential part of the experience for once.
na ed ved
na drstrangeluv
T8
Even without the 3D, this is still a thoroughly engrossing documentary. Watch as Werner explores what we can learn about our existence by studying 32,000 year old cave paintings. And of course, it wouldn't be a Herzog documentary without musings on things such as the art criticism of albino crocodiles.
na etherealtard
na BadCosmonaut
na ggggg1
na angrypierre
T10
A truly beautiful film. Herzog clearly loves the subject matter, and balances between image, fact and his own flights of fancy of interpretation. Just looking at the paintings is half an hour. The expert testimony is another half hour. The rest is Herzog taking you on a journey of imagination. He tells you what he thinks and feels, but ultimately leaves the viewer to interpret what they see. Fantastic.
na Gody85
na adidawha
na ritamaria
na cruelclown
na bakcheia
T8
Very slow, but rewarding.
na skopofil
na Janky
na Mr. Mocata
na brendoman
T6
Caves are awesome and so is Werner Herzog so I really dug it.
na rahsirrah
na MCR
na cosmocean
na auhasarderik
T6
Narrative is shapeless and overlong, but its subject matter, presentations and the expected insights and ruminations of Herzog make an interesting journey, which includes a final silent montage of astounding power and beauty.
na TarantinOle
na Holygrail2
na danieldebem
na PerryStroika
T8
With 3D this is a truly unforgettable experience.
na IsaacFord
na nrm5
na psych0naut
na pilgermann
T4
I'm glad I got to see this, but it was sorta disappointing. The people that are featured are nice intelligent folks, but they aren't the interesting sorts that the director finds, not even the perfume expert. Herzog's narration also isn't as clever or inspired. There's a long stretch towards the end of nothing but paintings and music, and it's beautiful. The 3D effect is impressive with almost tangible contours of stone and ghostly lighting. Would've worked better if it were shorter.
na bal3x
na malinowski
na oread
na Vali�
T9
For an archeology geek like me, Cave of forgotten dreams was an unforgettable experience and no one could've done it better than Werner Herzog.
na Madeline