Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
currently at ...
the Forum Canvassing opinions on ...
the Blog Order Filmmaker List by ...
0 films ranked
You Explore Interact Resources
Search
Profile All Your Rankings Starred Reviews Your Best TCIs PSIs Kumpels Wishlist
Random Film
Cave of Forgotten Dreams (2011)
Share Post to Facebook
Posted to your Facebook profile
Rank It
500 characters left
Summary: Werner Herzog gains exclusive access to film inside the Chauvet caves of Southern France, capturing the oldest known pictorial creations of humankind in their astonishing natural setting. (imdb)
Country: Germany
More information at IMDb
Ratings
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na MrCarmady
T5
I want my life to have a Herzog voiceover.
na AICHE
na Cantstopdrew
na bones_r
na bad_juice
na rant1229
na karamazov.
T7
Better than whatever documentary's on television right now, I guess. Ending was excellent.
na wpp
na Luk92
na Kerc
na Moribunny
T8
Saw this in 2d unfortunately, but it's pretty great anyway. I'm no longer sure why I ever doubted that Herzog would be capable of getting an engaging hour and a half out of a single cave. He does foray into scientists' speculations about paleolithic Europe in general, and generally pursues everything these cave paintings might make you wonder.
na jgreenwood
na brandonpcv
na spacehamm
na drstrangeluv
T8
Even without the 3D, this is still a thoroughly engrossing documentary. Watch as Werner explores what we can learn about our existence by studying 32,000 year old cave paintings. And of course, it wouldn't be a Herzog documentary without musings on things such as the art criticism of albino crocodiles.
na david99
na daniel.kojak
na Disaster
T5
The subject matter and some of his framing made me feel uncomfortable, like squirming under a bright light. At times, however, I felt the pacing to be a bit too meandering and flighty. The end bit was staggering, though.
na Kagemand
na psych0naut
na ratedargh
na MartinTeller
T6
Herzog narrates the film with his usual spellbinding tones, waxing poetic about the mysteries of the universe. It does occasionally resemble self-parody but I could listen to that guy talk all day. It's not one of his best docs, though. It could use some more interesting interview subjects or some more esoteric tangents. As interesting as the caves are, they don't seem to be quite enough to sustain 90 minutes on their own. But, some mild repetitiveness aside, it's a rather captivating study.
na Budhisattva
na mannylage
na AVclub
na yesistasty
T10
Werner Herzog has the most easily-parodied style of documentary film-making. Even so, he manages to create a transcendent ode to the human spirit
na Hushimitzu
na ritamaria
na NRM01
na joseywales
T4
Quite disappointing. I went in expecting another fantastic Herzogian Documentary and instead got a Discovery Channel special. The art and its history were fantastic but the film just wasn't.
na f-adam
na greenhil
na Cornica
na felixm85
na samcoarse
T9
Quite a stunning hardcut from the second last shot to the shot the final credits roll over. This film makes me consider a few things. Leaving a mark for the future might just be the only admirable beacon someone can light during a life. As well as part of what Herzog covered in the post script, that we are here now, a floating collection of consciousness with no solid state, we have no representation of what is real unless it is hard carved into time like these drawings. How far have we come?
na EchoWilder
na Vmfs
na zurnzurn
na JEMN
na xxzcuzxx
na Linara
na danastevens
T10
If you're interested in the history of the human race-if you're a member of the human race-you owe it to yourself to see this movie.
na LouisMazzini
na Timmer
na pjdevitt
na caiman
T9
A beautiful movie, visually and thematically. I dislike 3D, but this was an exception. The depth and curvature of the amazing walls came to life with the effect. Hopefully this film will serve as precedent of the potential artistic merits of 3D.
na mehdirik
na davidgn
na macgyvebot
na DavidJohnson
T5
Interesting, but about 45 minutes too long. Would have been a better 1 hour TV special or something. Lot's of long shots of art that ultimately looks like it was done by a 12 year old. Maybe I'm the only one, but the art isn't the thing that's interesting, it's the backstory of what could have taken place, and something so historic that's interesting, so I'm sorry if I'm bored by a 10 minute slideshow with no dialogue near the end.
na Unanimous
na matty5190
na zamanzaman
na venice
na pilgermann
T4
I'm glad I got to see this, but it was sorta disappointing. The people that are featured are nice intelligent folks, but they aren't the interesting sorts that the director finds, not even the perfume expert. Herzog's narration also isn't as clever or inspired. There's a long stretch towards the end of nothing but paintings and music, and it's beautiful. The 3D effect is impressive with almost tangible contours of stone and ghostly lighting. Would've worked better if it were shorter.
na ArmondWhite
T7
Leave it to Werner Herzog to find a use for 3D technology that isn't part of some gimmick to hoodwink kids of all ages.
na blahzor
na Colten97
na adamquelch
na d_drudges
T8
Herzog turns something that should have been boring as hell into something fascinating. As usual, Herzog strikes the perfect balance between letting his footage speak for itself and leading the audience on. I'd take these cave paintings over "modern" art every day.
na CHOICECOD
na RUIMJO
na PDMChubby
na Cinema_Asia
T8
In typical Herzog fashion he tries to uncover the thought process behind the subject of this documentary. In this case it's paleolithic artists who painted incredible images in a cave in France. It's great just to hear the wonderment in describing the mindset and the intent on capturing kinetic movement and "frames" that we take as normal. The focus though seems to be the spiritual conjoining of man and his environment. The sense of self is just a depiction on the wall that is timeless.
na ifudontknow
na Tomhet
T7
Herzog could film himself reading a shampoo bottle and it would somehow end up being enthralling and profound.
na jodamico
T9
There were some missed opportunities, and a weird tension between the History Channel bits and the Herzogy-bits, but there were also moments of almost unutterable beauty. That ten-minute or so montage at the end of all the paintings was breathtaking. The 3D truly was imperative - not just on the texture of the wall as I anticipated but in a myriad of little ways, like the way it brought out the sparkling crystal surface of the cave.
na 3rdman
na NeoRaven
na TraverseTown
na wikke
T10
Herzog decided to share this cave with us, and I'm very glad he did. He firmly frames the cave and the drawings within spirituality. And to me, that is where the real strength of this film lies. The music, atmosphere and (rather typically murky) 3D image add to the experience in a positive way. For an evening I found myself again completely immersed in Herzog's way of thinking. Recommended!
na gabaguillar
na Calabria
35,000 years old.
na sebby
T4
One of Herzog's poorer documentary efforts.
na givethanks
na The Way
na Tova
na quez2go
T4
Much more interesting than I expected, and some beautiful visuals, but longer than it needs to be and lulled me into a rather pleasant sleep for about 20 minutes in the middle.
na prior
na babyoneeye
na kristiankarl
na abstraktruth
na Sardelynn
na Ag0stoMesmer
T10
[2D TV] Surprisingly affecting film, showing the works 'through' the awe and enthusiasm of the investigators -a likeable and slightly eccentric bunch- was a great move. It's a shame some were dubbed but perhaps subtitles would 'break' the 3d. Unusual and stylish soundtrack.
na jacobb1313
T7
Whatever. This film completely worked for me. Herzog envelops you in the idea that this art... has been around... for 30,000 years. For comparison, Christianity has been around for 2,000. From that perspective, these scratches of horses on cave walls hold profound cultural and spiritual resonance, something proto and primal, that I think validates all of Herzog's funky wanderings into albino crocodiles. It's something beyond him, definitely, to explain, but also way beyond us.
na Coredor
na STFUDonny
na Positive Jon
na oldgoat
T2
Poorly put together. No flow. Focused too much on one detail then jumped past a big theme. This could have been so good and the shots of the drawings were beautiful but that's about it.
na pyrosexual
na Rufam
T5
Both Herzog's infectious enthusiasm and the inherent fascination of the subject matter result in a lot of awe-inspiring sequences and thought-provoking observations. Still, it's a somewhat overlong and uneven film, one that goes back and forth between genuinely eye-popping footage and commentary and several dull, unnecessary stretches.
na KasperL
T3
Beautiful shots and some effective 3D wasn't enough. The interviewees clearly found the cave drawings much more interesting than me.
na ericdupont