Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
currently at ...
the Forum VHS era 70s or most lik...
the Blog New Enhancement Film Typ...
0 films ranked
You Explore Interact Resources
Search
Profile All Your Rankings Starred Reviews Your Best TCIs PSIs Kumpels Wishlist
Random Film
Cave of Forgotten Dreams (2011)
Post to Facebook
Posted to your Facebook profile
Rank It
500 characters left
Summary: Werner Herzog gains exclusive access to film inside the Chauvet caves of Southern France, capturing the oldest known pictorial creations of humankind in their astonishing natural setting. (imdb)
Country: Germany
More information at IMDb
Ratings
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na Parallax
na mkellins
T7
Herzog does a wonderful job portraying the cave and the paintings. The interviews are also captivating. The film probably needs to be viewed on a big screen, rather than a lap top, to really appreciate the drawings.
na mandy
T6
Memorable and insightful - wonderfully narrated and directed by Herzog.
na laika
na STFUDonny
na DoubleJ-B
na wikke
T10
Herzog decided to share this cave with us, and I'm very glad he did. He firmly frames the cave and the drawings within spirituality. And to me, that is where the real strength of this film lies. The music, atmosphere and (rather typically murky) 3D image add to the experience in a positive way. For an evening I found myself again completely immersed in Herzog's way of thinking. Recommended!
na Mattsdmf
na blahzor
na p00q
na FunkyAstro
T6
Herzog manages to take relatively banal subject matter and through his mad genius and the wonderful way he asks insightful questions, he always seems to capture his audiences and really makes them think about the topic in a different way. He forgot to do that this time.
na SpaceEcho
na ed ved
na Maandysheera
na Cantstopdrew
na !nsomn!a
na JooJoo
T8
Werner Herzog has given meaning and value to 3D. Is there anything he can't do?
na babyoneeye
na mawy
na IluvMovies
na brendoman
T6
Caves are awesome and so is Werner Herzog so I really dug it.
na Bocuma
na pilgermann
T4
I'm glad I got to see this, but it was sorta disappointing. The people that are featured are nice intelligent folks, but they aren't the interesting sorts that the director finds, not even the perfume expert. Herzog's narration also isn't as clever or inspired. There's a long stretch towards the end of nothing but paintings and music, and it's beautiful. The 3D effect is impressive with almost tangible contours of stone and ghostly lighting. Would've worked better if it were shorter.
na The Way
na luminais
na Digger
na f-adam
na martin846
na KasperL
T3
Beautiful shots and some effective 3D wasn't enough. The interviewees clearly found the cave drawings much more interesting than me.
na Zen Lunatic
na filmaffinity
na ARUCARD
na closedmouth
T4
Some nice images, but Herzog's narration is pretty overcooked and rambling (the postscript is incomprehensible). About two-thirds of the way through he seems to run out of ideas and the film just kind of slowly fades away.
na ritamaria
na drstrangeluv
T8
Even without the 3D, this is still a thoroughly engrossing documentary. Watch as Werner explores what we can learn about our existence by studying 32,000 year old cave paintings. And of course, it wouldn't be a Herzog documentary without musings on things such as the art criticism of albino crocodiles.
na friendo55
T7
I really wish I could've watched this in 3D - and I can't believe I'm saying that.
na marcelvidal
na cranky
na zopz
na lippecesar
na Dicke_Taube
na adamquelch
na payens
T7
Enhanced experience if seen on 3D at the British Museum.
na Ercan
na theficionado
na awprokop
na krf7
T3
Sort of a hybrid Herzog film/Discovery Channel film that doesn't do well in either category. From an information perspective, not enough is explained about the cave and its place in history, and from the Herzog perspective, his deep-thinking questions are a bit bizarre and daft even for him. Have to give it a little credit, though, because this might be the only real-time look we ever get at this cave.
na Suture Self
na dusticus
na Madeline
na sebby
T4
One of Herzog's poorer documentary efforts.
na ratedargh
na Gesine
na SickForay
na jacobb1313
T7
Whatever. This film completely worked for me. Herzog envelops you in the idea that this art... has been around... for 30,000 years. For comparison, Christianity has been around for 2,000. From that perspective, these scratches of horses on cave walls hold profound cultural and spiritual resonance, something proto and primal, that I think validates all of Herzog's funky wanderings into albino crocodiles. It's something beyond him, definitely, to explain, but also way beyond us.
na LouisMazzini
na bal3x
na ArmondWhite
T7
Leave it to Werner Herzog to find a use for 3D technology that isn't part of some gimmick to hoodwink kids of all ages.
na bad_juice
na mannylage
na striate
na angrypierre
T10
A truly beautiful film. Herzog clearly loves the subject matter, and balances between image, fact and his own flights of fancy of interpretation. Just looking at the paintings is half an hour. The expert testimony is another half hour. The rest is Herzog taking you on a journey of imagination. He tells you what he thinks and feels, but ultimately leaves the viewer to interpret what they see. Fantastic.
na lineuphere
na spacerace
na littlepanda
na caiman
T9
A beautiful movie, visually and thematically. I dislike 3D, but this was an exception. The depth and curvature of the amazing walls came to life with the effect. Hopefully this film will serve as precedent of the potential artistic merits of 3D.
na TrixRabbi
T4
Very slow, very dry. The cave is amazing, but it feels like Herzog is treading water far too often. It honestly would have worked much better as a short.
na DBibby
na coutinho
na Tova
na danastevens
T10
If you're interested in the history of the human race-if you're a member of the human race-you owe it to yourself to see this movie.
na Holygrail2
na rant1229
na Nelson Nog
na oldgoat
T2
Poorly put together. No flow. Focused too much on one detail then jumped past a big theme. This could have been so good and the shots of the drawings were beautiful but that's about it.
na roybenshai
na joseywales
T4
Quite disappointing. I went in expecting another fantastic Herzogian Documentary and instead got a Discovery Channel special. The art and its history were fantastic but the film just wasn't.
na Lobo_Lopez
na joaobaldoni
na malinowski
na Actionberg
T6
The immobile closeup shots of the cave paintings are the finest implementation of 3D I've ever seen; the astounding and borderline spiritual depth that is elicited from this technique is very memorable. However, anything not related to the former is so jarring and pointless. Why does the entire documentary have to feature 3D effects, especially when it's just a guy sitting in a room talking to Herzog? Everyone should probably see it, but the director has done better.
na fabiovisnadi
na aylakadam
na Maps
na Vali�
T9
For an archeology geek like me, Cave of forgotten dreams was an unforgettable experience and no one could've done it better than Werner Herzog.
na FancyMike
na Derekstar
T4
To be honest, it felt like Herzog had about an hour (or perhaps even less) of useful footage, and elected out of necessity to show the same paintings several times from different perspectives. That's how it felt, anyways. I'm a huge fan of Herzog, and if you ask me every one of his documentaries are worth seeing. But Cave of Forgotten Dreams is one of his lesser ones. And as to the 3D, I can't see 3D in movies, so it quite literally added nothing for me.
na RUIMJO
na kastenm
na matty5190
na cmiles
na barbarrett
na Kojiless
T4
The paintings are awe-inspiring, and Herzog does an excellent job of poking and prodding the quirky characters who work in and around the cave, but as is the case with most of his movies, CoFD ends up being 15 minutes of content stretched in Herzogian fashion to 60.
na herge
na lotr-sam0711
na jodamico
T9
There were some missed opportunities, and a weird tension between the History Channel bits and the Herzogy-bits, but there were also moments of almost unutterable beauty. That ten-minute or so montage at the end of all the paintings was breathtaking. The 3D truly was imperative - not just on the texture of the wall as I anticipated but in a myriad of little ways, like the way it brought out the sparkling crystal surface of the cave.
na Szeretlek
na ktothea
na Henrik
na venice
na adidawha
na TarantinOle
na karamazov.
T6
Better than whatever documentary's on television right now, I guess. Ending was excellent.
na Achk
na MurphDick
na matilda
na darthfrede
na DetoxP
na samcoarse
T9
Quite a stunning hardcut from the second last shot to the shot the final credits roll over. This film makes me consider a few things. Leaving a mark for the future might just be the only admirable beacon someone can light during a life. As well as part of what Herzog covered in the post script, that we are here now, a floating collection of consciousness with no solid state, we have no representation of what is real unless it is hard carved into time like these drawings. How far have we come?
na HVM