Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
0 films ranked
profile
Hannah Takes the Stairs (2007)
Your Rating
500 characters left
Summary: Hannah, a recent college graduate, spends a brutally hot Chicago summer falling in and out of love. As she struggles to find personal and professional fulfillment through various relationships with friends and coworkers, she risks leaving destruction in her wake. Working collaboratively with his cast, which features several prominent independent filmmakers, Joe Swanberg follows up his previous efforts, "Kissing on the Mouth" and "LOL", with this delicate look at friendship, ambition, and the pursuit of happiness. (IFC Films)
Genre: Drama
Country: USA
Directed By: Joe Swanberg
Additional Information & Actions
More information at IMDb
Ratings
loading Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na IMDb_byvotes IMDb-byvotes
na CMQuinn CMQuinn
na cranky cranky
na las las
na kjfellows kokirijazz
na Ytadel Ytadel
T8
It's not quite up to the level of Bujalski's two "mumblecore" films, but it's still a must-watch for fans of the genre like me who get off on the awkward, low-budget adventures of well-educated, aimless 20-somethings. The movie hinges on the quality of its lead, and thankfully, Greta Gerwig is electric.
na roujin roujin
na nminichino nminichino
na volver
na dooooooley
T4
great characters, organic as all the mumblecores, but the value of the movie is too conversation-based
na kangadoodoo kangadoodoo
na dmk dmk
na SirRobbie SirRobbie
na hellsditch hellsditch
T4
I don't know why I keep going back to the lo-fi Greta Gerwig-starring well, but here I am again, although I suspect it'll be my last time. And that's not because I hated this, because I didn't. In fact, out of "Beeswax" and "Nights and Weekends", I found "Hannah" to boast, if not exactly the most rounded, at least the most easily recognizable and interesting characters (even if I wanted to throttle a few of them) of the bunch and the film seemed to have a clear focus of what it wanted to be.
na JapeMan
na psim psim
na rettelo rettelo
na NRM01
na avgcrtckr avgcrtckr
na Theodora Theodora
na sebby sebby
T2
Another totally bleh low budget indie mumblecore "film."
na feralgreen
na Piglet Piglet
na kneudorf kneudorf
na Jazzaloha
T7
This is a character study of Hannah (Greta Gerwig), a confused, maybe insecure, young woman trying to find...something (herself? purpose and meaning?) via the relationships with various men. Gerwig is good in this and you can she has potential.
na Baby Sloth
na Anomaly1 Anomaly1
T3
It's purpose is clear but there are no feelings of things serving a higher function that is essential when filming banality, and no ambition to aim for. And I couldn't appreciate the moment, because the moment was covered up with unnecessary camera jerkiness, zooms, and closeups. Greta Gerwig gives a good performance and on the strength of that performance it is watchable, but there is nothing to distinguish it from every other film of its type.
na Moribunny Moribunny
T8
Hannah is disillusioned by her boyfriend, quickly gets a crush on another guy, and finds herself in a pattern, chewing guys up and spitting them out. I feel for her, but I hate that bitch too, because I know her kind. A good specimen of mumblecore, with acting leads from Swanberg's fellow directors Mark Duplass and Andrew Bujalski, and a powerful starring performance by Greta Gerwig.
na wokelstein wokelstein
na mongosal
na ifudontknow
na CriticalMaus
na Cherish Cherish
na mightysparks mightysparks
na DavidKahane DavidKahane
T8
The movie has a thin plot. What it makes it effective is how perfectly it captures a mood, that drifting feeling of uncertainty that accompanies a person's early twenties, when the station-to-station certainty of higher education gives way to the stifling vastness of professional choices, when possibility itself feels like a sort of dead end. Gerwig plays off against this context, making her character's most problematic, unlikely choices understandable, even, in an odd way, sort of endearing.
na djw263 djw263
na landpwner
na Cornica Cornica
na gwynplaine gwynplaine
na zacd
na rickyafraid rickyafraid
na shahness
T10
Another strong "mumble-core" addition to the filmic realm. Though the film never quite feels as real, or as awkward, as Bujalksi's two films, the cast, especially Gerwig, deliver relatable twenty-somethings stumbling through life. For bare sets and low production value, Swanberg still works the mise-en-scene and blocking to maximum potential. With no real heavy narrative drive, the film works as a slice of life piece filled with enough poignant beats about love, life and humanity.
na undinum undinum
na Meta_Critic Meta Critic
na winds winds
na astrakhan astrakhan
T4
A dazzling light illuminating the screen... the way Joe Swanberg's gaze lingers adoringly on Greta Gerwig's face recalls some of the iconic director-star partnerships of cinema history. The film starts out interestingly but unfortunately it eventually peters out when it becomes apparent that none of the characters or events are going anywhere, apart from up some tenuous metaphorical staircase. Good at atmosphere and mood, considerably weaker at narrative and structure. A slight disappointment.
na filmaffinity filmaffinity
na imdb imdb
na mrbluesky mrbluesky
na Coheed
T1
I would give this 40 points if it wasn't for the fact that I dread this is where American cinema could go in terms of presentation and manifesto. Strangling its own moments of actual emotional depth with pointlessly shaking cameras and meandering conversation.
na coltrane
T9
na negative
na maborosi maborosi
na cory.nowacky
na lotr23 lotr23
na paulofilmo paulofilmo
T5
This is really endearing. I think it works. There's a part where they're kissing, and I had to look away because it felt like I was imposing on their moment.
na dsjoerdsma