Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
currently at ...
the Forum Favorite MiniReviews
the Blog New Enhancement Film Typ...
0 films ranked
You Explore Interact Resources
Search
Profile All Your Rankings Starred Reviews Your Best TCIs PSIs Kumpels Wishlist
Random Film
Hannah Takes the Stairs (2007)
Post to Facebook
Posted to your Facebook profile
Rank It
500 characters left
Summary: Hannah, a recent college graduate, spends a brutally hot Chicago summer falling in and out of love. As she struggles to find personal and professional fulfillment through various relationships with friends and coworkers, she risks leaving destruction in her wake. Working collaboratively with his cast, which features several prominent independent filmmakers, Joe Swanberg follows up his previous efforts, "Kissing on the Mouth" and "LOL", with this delicate look at friendship, ambition, and the pursuit of happiness. (IFC Films)
Genre: Drama
Country: USA
Directed By: Joe Swanberg
Additional Information & Actions
More information at IMDb
Ratings
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na volver
na mrbluesky
na ifudontknow
na understamp
na JJ1986
na Coheed
T1
I would give this 40 points if it wasn't for the fact that I dread this is where American cinema could go in terms of presentation and manifesto. Strangling its own moments of actual emotional depth with pointlessly shaking cameras and meandering conversation.
na SlantMag
na NRM01
na CMQuinn
na Anomaly1
T3
It's purpose is clear but there are no feelings of things serving a higher function that is essential when filming banality, and no ambition to aim for. And I couldn't appreciate the moment, because the moment was covered up with unnecessary camera jerkiness, zooms, and closeups. Greta Gerwig gives a good performance and on the strength of that performance it is watchable, but there is nothing to distinguish it from every other film of its type.
na frnk23
na IMDb-byvotes
na Meta Critic
na Jazzaloha
T7
This is a character study of Hannah (Greta Gerwig), a confused, maybe insecure, young woman trying to find...something (herself? purpose and meaning?) via the relationships with various men. Gerwig is good in this and you can she has potential.
na mastablasta
na kneudorf
na psim
na Ytadel
T8
It's not quite up to the level of Bujalski's two "mumblecore" films, but it's still a must-watch for fans of the genre like me who get off on the awkward, low-budget adventures of well-educated, aimless 20-somethings. The movie hinges on the quality of its lead, and thankfully, Greta Gerwig is electric.
na astrakhan
T4
A dazzling light illuminating the screen... the way Joe Swanberg's gaze lingers adoringly on Greta Gerwig's face recalls some of the iconic director-star partnerships of cinema history. The film starts out interestingly but unfortunately it eventually peters out when it becomes apparent that none of the characters or events are going anywhere, apart from up some tenuous metaphorical staircase. Good at atmosphere and mood, considerably weaker at narrative and structure. A slight disappointment.
na frg
na rickyafraid
na winds
na kangadoodoo
na roujin
na Orly1962
na Moribunny
T8
Hannah is disillusioned by her boyfriend, quickly gets a crush on another guy, and finds herself in a pattern, chewing guys up and spitting them out. I feel for her, but I hate that bitch too, because I know her kind. A good specimen of mumblecore, with acting leads from Swanberg's fellow directors Mark Duplass and Andrew Bujalski, and a powerful starring performance by Greta Gerwig.
na DavidKahane
T8
The movie has a thin plot. What it makes it effective is how perfectly it captures a mood, that drifting feeling of uncertainty that accompanies a person's early twenties, when the station-to-station certainty of higher education gives way to the stifling vastness of professional choices, when possibility itself feels like a sort of dead end. Gerwig plays off against this context, making her character's most problematic, unlikely choices understandable, even, in an odd way, sort of endearing.
na lotr23
na AAAutin
na RetinaScan
na Meowfresh
na kokirijazz
na sebby
T2
Another totally bleh low budget indie mumblecore "film."
na zoidd
na shahness
T10
Another strong "mumble-core" addition to the filmic realm. Though the film never quite feels as real, or as awkward, as Bujalksi's two films, the cast, especially Gerwig, deliver relatable twenty-somethings stumbling through life. For bare sets and low production value, Swanberg still works the mise-en-scene and blocking to maximum potential. With no real heavy narrative drive, the film works as a slice of life piece filled with enough poignant beats about love, life and humanity.
na filmaffinity
na MentalCritic
na nminichino
na dooooooley
T4
great characters, organic as all the mumblecores, but the value of the movie is too conversation-based
na hypnotoad1
na paulofilmo
T5
This is really endearing. I think it works. There's a part where they're kissing, and I had to look away because it felt like I was imposing on their moment.
na Theodora
na bmmello
na cdub12
na mullacc
na dsjoerdsma
na hellsditch
T4
I don't know why I keep going back to the lo-fi Greta Gerwig-starring well, but here I am again, although I suspect it'll be my last time. And that's not because I hated this, because I didn't. In fact, out of "Beeswax" and "Nights and Weekends", I found "Hannah" to boast, if not exactly the most rounded, at least the most easily recognizable and interesting characters (even if I wanted to throttle a few of them) of the bunch and the film seemed to have a clear focus of what it wanted to be.
na Cabrera