Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
currently at ...
the Forum Guess the movie from th...
the Blog New Enhancement Film Typ...
0 films ranked
Post to Facebook
Posted to your Facebook profile
Rank It
500 characters left
Summary: In twelfth-century Mongolia, nine-year-old Temudgin, who will grow up to become the warrior known as Genghis Khan, must flee his home shortly after choosing the spirited Borte as his bride when his father is murdered and a rival seizes power. With the help of his blood brother, tribal prince Jamukha, the adult Temudgin battles his rivals and works to unite the region's warring clans under his authority. (oscar.com)
Directed By: Sergei Bodrov
AKA: Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan
Additional Information & Actions
More information at IMDb
Ratings
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na ggg2000
na WoraZ
na martryn
T7
The plot was a bit all over the place, but the movie itself was well shot. Not so much the story of Genghis Khan, but the story of a young Genghis Khan.
na I'm prowler
na corndc
na GoodMovie
na nilkynarfy
T5
It does make up most of this shit whole cloth and piecemeal, but I get what they were trying to do. I mean, up until this film, Genghis was always depicted as a drooling satanic babyeater. Hell, the name of his culture is used as a derogatory synonym for the mentally handicapped-- an obvious consequence of being an illiterate, incurious person that conquered literate, curious peoples exclusively. Anyway, nice to see him at least depicted as homo sapiens. Cool battle scenes too.
na mistercado
na chemical404
na winds
na no_clubs
T8
I have to admit -- I'm a Gengis Khan fan. Ready for the sequel.
na Dan41
na kangadoodoo
na Ross
na muku25
na SickForay
na mehregan
na thehynes
T5
One of history's biggest mass murderers gets the soft soap treatment
na dustin
na yonetmenSFK
na mogwai
na Derekstar
T9
So, so good. Amazing battles, we get a hint of strategy which is more than we usually get in these kinds of epics. The locations looked absolutely breathtaking. I know that some people were looking for more epic battles, and we may get some of those in the sequel(s), if they ever come, but I find it much more suspenseful when you have, let's say, under 50 men, and every single person counts. And also I found myself touched by the romantic story. There's nothing wrong with this movie.
na Mirabell
na hattrik
na ggggg1
na PeaceAnarchy
T7
Historical accuracy is out the window and there are certainly leaps in time that leave you asking "why didn't they show us that?" All that said, it still tells a coherent and captivating story, this version of Genghis Kahn is harsh but still possible to root for, and the visuals are beautiful. Treat it as fiction and enjoy the ride.
na Estutmirleid
na Nanarama
na TV+Film-Hub
na DrewTheDude
T5
I really hate how they decided to heavily fictionalized Temujin's story in order to insert some bullshit love story about him and Borte as well as some bullshit about slavery. Not to mention how much I hated how they didn't get the Mongolian swords right, and instead used some Arabian curved swords. That aside, the movie itself was rather boring and the way it paced itself and built up its drama was poorly done. How did Temujin go from recruiting soldiers to having an army the next scene?
na bkam
na megasuperdoc
na Jarmann
T5
Good scenery although sometimes bordering on kitch. The story is a bit messy and unfocused at times. There are some scens though, that make up for these mistakes and make the movie watchable.
na DougieD
na gigafan
na ednorog
na torontodog
T6
Pretty messy. They put you through several bizarre events that may have happened to the young Khan (before he was Khan). But some were completely made up, and others happened quite differently. I guess really big events, like taking over half of the world, were left out for a sequel? Solid acting and awesome scenery make it bearable though.
na TomPotter
na mertgurul
na afirm
na Stripy
T4
It's pretty good-involves a touching love story and epic battles-but a bit too slow for me
na NeoRaven
na ernani10
na MBBinger
na Ytadel
T6
I really enjoyed the cinematography, battle scenes, epic scope, and (fictionalized as it may be) depiction of Genghis Khan's early life. That said, the abrupt shift from "I must gather an army" to him having his massive army and engaging in the final battle in literally the next scene was ridiculously jarring, and makes Mongol feel like a 3.5-hour movie that's been edited down to 2. I'll certainly see the sequels, though.
na tsarstruck
na sebasbuchner
na Deaths
na juicestice
T10
Great flic, quality action, acting and a great story to boot.
na bspawn
na pedromga
na jacobb1313
T2
Feels like there's 90 minutes of necessary footage hiding somewhere that we didn't get to see: In their attempt to 'Braveheart' and 'El Cid' Genghis, they left out the conquering and focused on a romance that rang false and a yin-yang villain that seemed to incomprehensibly, quickly, amass armies. Frustrating.
na cambelboy
na viva34
na zmunimaker
na tufan1986
na hansen1973
na sexydeadstar
na Zealot185
T4
A fairly strong and emotional first act kept me interested for the entire 2-hour runtime, but dwelling upon the movie afterwards made me realize how simple the plot really was. The fight scenes and scenery were excellent, but there was nothing in the storyline to really entice me to see the rest of this Genghis Khan trilogy.
na jeff_v
T6
Good old-fashioned epic in the mold of Braveheart, with aspirations to Kurosawa occasionally surfacing. Sets up the conflicts well, and is consistently entertaining, though for a movie that only covers the rise of Genghis Kahn, it's frustrating to see certain crucial parts elided (like, he gets out of prison and re-united with his family, and next thing you know he's commanding a vast army).
na lebowski34
na ajohar
na gurru
na gor41
T2
Handsomely shot but dull telling of Genghis Khan's early years. Lots of slow-mo blood spurting but little originality to enliven proceedings.
na pekin
na c_moach
na masoo
T5
The movie suggests that Genghis Khan had God on his side. Well, don't all dictators think something similar? It's like one of those athletes ... "I couldn't have scored that touchdown without the good Lord." God helps Genghis Khan conquer the world, which makes everything he did OK, I guess.
na eric-jan
T8
Loved it! Just sit back and relax and see a young determined kid go through countless hardships to become the greatest conquerer of all time. I thought it was kind of like Dances with Wolves because of the length of the movie, the 'weight' of it and the beautiful scenery.
na Filmest
na JimmyLeresky
na Matthulhu
na td888
T7
Bring your lunch, you're in for a long ride. But every time it gets boring, something happens to keep your attention.
na frnk23
na beardedTITAN
na vordven
na iyisinek
T9
cengiz han (cengiz han'in kücüklügünden, mogollarin basina gectigi zmana kadar ki öyküsünü paylasiyor. ordularin basina gecme kismi biraz havada kalmis onun disinda oldukca güzel bir biyografi)
na megadert