Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
0 films ranked
Song of the South (1946)
Your Rating
500 characters left
Summary: Uncle Remus draws upon his tales of Brer Rabbit to help little Johnny deal his confusion over his parents'... (imdb)
Country: USA
Additional Information & Actions
More information at IMDb
Post to Facebook
Posted to your Facebook profile
Buy
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na IMDb-byvotes
na On_Target
na jacobb1313
T8
The live-action/animation combo scenes are unbelievable, with Baskett's phenomenal acting carrys the film's suspension of disbelief. While I do admit the Tar-Baby scene is racist, I don't think the rest of it is. Remus becomes a father figure to the young boy, and so is treated positively (to be honest, it's the same basic plot structure as Mary Poppins). My personal caveat: if Gone With the Wind can be loved and appreciated and sold in the US, this should be too. It's probably even less racist.
na mitchelly
na DrewTheDude
na laughy
na PeaceAnarchy
T1
Hey, it's offensive and incredibly boring, what a winning combination. I think the animated parts may have been decent, but I've tried to block as much of this film as possible from my memory.
na jeffayle
na monoglot
na remusclaw
na WaitingScene
na svenvrossen
na babamots
T4
Definitely a child-oriented film; not being in the target demographic, I was predictably unimpressed. However, Remus's soothing voice got me through as I watched out for racism. White characters' words are accepted like orders, but Remus is such a clear hero that the message seemed to even out.
na filman7
T9
The animated sequences and the relationship between Driscoll's Johnny and Baskett's Uncle Remus are the strong points in a film of pure brilliance.
na Rocketo
na avgcrtckr
na gtrmp
na Warchild
T5
Entertaining, love the songs.
na rottentomat
na Kublai Khan
na gimmefiction
na arcane369
na Dicke_Taube
na Frosty
na Goldbluming
T1
How can something be so boring and offensive at the same time?
na TheOnionRing
na b0ger
na Kusanagi
na Icarus
T6
Remus is the hero of this film which nicely mixes animation with live action. He is the most interesting and complex character, and in spite of the over-the-top down home feel to the African-American characters, they are all more sympathetic than any of the white characters save the child. In terms of narrative, it's definitely simplistic, but the animated sequences are inventive and the film contains numerous moments that kids will love. A solid Disney classic.
na Dimentia
T3
The film's fatal flaw is that it's boring (excepting the animated sequences). It's not half as awful as its infamous reputation implies - its rosy viewpoints of Reconstruction-era Georgia are pretty cringeworthy, but not outright racist. (The Tar Baby thing is from African-American folklore, it's not exactly a racial slur) James Baskett is very, very good at what he does though.
na jksterup
na donquixotic
na ThePunisher
na moeta2
na rb42083
na manwich
na tma1
T3
Maybe I'm too old to enjoy it, but I found it pretty boring. The mix of live-action and animation was well done. A good theme song. That's about it.
na Mulholland
na ScrumYummy
na soothsayer
na Alex Watkins
T2
Zippity doo dah, zippity aye/ My oh my what a wonderful day/ Here in the south whites give me no pay/ Zippity doo dah, zippity aye.
na dognamedfrog
na redpatriot
na margot
na miss jesus
T1
The cartoons are as much fun as any classic Disney, but the amount of racist content in the film is unbelievable, from the tar baby to the depiction of Uncle Remus, and right on into the overarching "moral." The child actors are also far from appealing. The best thing about this film was the "Aunt Jemima's Mash Liquor" parody on SNL a few years ago.
na sheesh
na comanchex
na youtellme93
T1
Racism aside, this isn't amusing or entertaining in the slightest. Thumbs down.
na mynameisdoug
na jeff_v
na Dunstan-x
na Llanirev
na Warren
T1
This is a film with a real troubled legacy, but the end result for me is more of a bored shrug than moral outrage or scandal. It's not overly racist, I don't think (its heart is in the right place), but it's just so full of quaint, old-timey southern cliches that it's kind of a boring experience. The animated scenes don't even offer much in terms of inventiveness or humour. James Baskett's performance is steeped in cliche but he's an appropriately pleasant and genial presence for a kids' film.
na naviniea
na TripleSH
na Zaltys
na Nick C.
T3
Good story, but the only three things I really praise are the animation, James Baskket's performance, and the main song.
na Red_Falcon_
T6
The song Zip-a-Doo-Dah and James Basket's performance as Uncle Remus are the highlights of this lower tier film from Disney's Golden Age.
na sceptre_777