Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
profile
Take Shelter (2011)
Your Rating
500 characters left
Summary: Plagued by a series of apocalyptic visions, a young husband and father questions whether to shelter his family from a coming storm, or from himself. (imdb)
Genre: Drama
Country: USA
Directed By: Jeff Nichols
Written By: Jeff Nichols
Additional Information & Actions
More information at IMDb
Invalid Trailer
If you'd like, provide a new one!
Ratings
loading Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na erwinrommel
na cgcore cgcore
na yoohoo883 yoohoo
T9
Powerful acting by Shannon. Excellent story and very well done overall. Curtis is the kind of character who may seem slightly obnoxious in his mystery, but he's a believer.
na himsul
na Dogubomb Dogubomb
na mightysparks mightysparks
na clayj41 clayj41
na gdpr
na KramYessev KramYessev
T9
The best American film of the year. "Take Shelter" is a lot deeper than it initially appears although the feeling of anxiety and unease is constant throughout, helped along by Shannon's incredible and subtle performance. It becomes so engaging and emotional at times, even to the point where it becomes hard to watch (in a good way) that I became too enveloped in what was going on and didn't read into the actual message, which will stick with you long after the end credits.
na turumcu
na Holygrail2
na CMQuinn CMQuinn
na LennyNero LennyNero
T9
The acting was top notch, the visions very eerie and the ending is fittingly ambiguous. A complex tale about madness and "religious visions".
na DiegoL_ii Diego_L
na ed ved
na YodasBrain
na Ryan_Lueders Ryan Lueders
T4
I can only describe this movie as depressing. From almost the very beginning you see the life of a man unravel because he believes his dreams about a storm that's coming will come true. He starts building a storm shelter and puts his family in debt, he loses his job and his family suffers. The movie moves at a glacial pace but having patience pays off as the ending is quite wonderful. I'm just not a fan of watching someone's depressing life for an hour and forty-five minutes.
na Bigfox Bigfox
na DrCalculator DrCalculator
na upagainst upagainst
na CinemaAsia Cinema_Asia
T9
There's genius use of tension and claustrophobia despite the comfortable staid middle class American life with wide open plains that it portrays. This contrast highlights the enclosed impenetrable mental state of a madman amongst a society that values openness and close relations as a community. It's difficult to interpret the somewhat ambiguous ending but I prefer a more mundane explanation of coming to terms that fits in with the character and his past as we see it.
na Johnny_Mo Johnny Mo
T9
The peak of both young director/writer Jeff Nichols and his fellow Michael Shannon.
na istayaway
na johnhuss
na synweap synweap
na chemical404 chemical404
T8
Schizophrenia is my greatest fear so I bought into story and protagonist right away. Michael Shannon is great, and I guess he was an obvious choise for this role. I feel that the script needed some extra work on it - ambiguous ending in this case feels like a total cop-out.
na Luna6ix Luna6ix
T8
it's pretty good and kept me guessing up until the end. it was well written and well acted, but i must admit that i assumed he was having seizures the entire time, so this whole acting like a prophet for the end times crap seemed pretty stupid. oh, guy you have lapses in memory and your body starts convulsing uncontrollably? must be a message from god, that's the only explanation.
na boyboymosia
na Thomassejer Thomassejer
na nickv nickv
na Carpetgiant Carpetgiant
T8
Pretty good for an independent film - especially regarding special effects and the acting - about a million-billions times better than any original movie that airs on the Syfy channel. The story is a little predictable at times, but not to the point that it bothered me - I still enjoyed it. I can't really say much more than that without spoiling anything. Definitely worth a rental.
na C12H17N2O4P C12H17N2O4P
na DrAtomik
na Koalafish Koalafish
na Judo_Koala Judo Koala
T10
The film is often overpowering in its emotional impact, thanks in large part to Shannon's role as a truly tormented, heartwrenchingly fragile family man (and his wife, tormented by association, but sympathetic all the same, played wonderfully by Chastain), and to Nichols's pace which begins as a slow-burn, and continues to a finale which is nearly suffocating in its anxiety and subsequent catharsis. Phenomenal stuff.
na The Director
na kyleloomis kyle.loomis
na anahtar
na kronstadtli kronstadtli
na okoronkwho
na SlantMag SlantMag
T8
"Michael Shannon's haunting performance as a blue-collar Ohio man victimized by schizophrenia carries this dread-infused character study." - Bill Weber
na Cuculiza Cuculiza
na odessey odessey
na ddrudges d_drudges
T9
Take Shelter shows us a man who is finally becoming unhinged trying to deal with the social life in a modern capitalistic society, and the schizophrenic realities inherent in it. Michael Shannon is amazing as the unwitting protagonist. I had problems relating to the shelter building plot device, but that's probably due to me being from somewhere where major storms can't happen.
na devotchka devotchka
na Lonewolf2003
na okan okan
na agladwin
na turgay turgay
na djaunb djaunb
na Kavu Kavu
T7
I liked the drama but was a little put off by the complete lack of mystery about whether the storm was coming or not.
na daisylegs daisylegs
na heidavey
na ArloJWiley
na MArkjp MArkjp
T9
Okay, since nobody else seems to be willing to adress this, I guess I'll have to: This feels like a M. Night. Shyamalan film gone absolutely right.
na mfkaraca mfkaraca
na Yaxley Yaxley
na Onix Verumi
na PeaceAnarchy PeaceAnarchy
T6
It's a shame this never feels like a complete movie and stumbles towards its finale, because it does a very good job of setting the emotional tone.
na masoimoran masoimoran
na bedirhankara bedirhankara
na router314 router314
na KasperL KasperL
T10
Entranced me. Part of its ability to mesmerize comes from the amazing Shannon and Chastain but everything about the film is superb, really. The nightmare sequences are haunting. One can believe that they take such a strong hold on Curtis, and his (possible) descent into madness is adeptly depicted. 'Take Shelter' joins the ranks of two other transcendental domestic dramas, 'A Separation' and 'The Tree of Life', completing a trifecta of 2011-masterpieces.
na ozonepaul
na ofkoru
na shotton25 shotton25
na bentien
T10
Aside from the schematic feel of the dream sequences this is a terrific film with superb performances, intense atmosphere and clever use of different genres.
na cwaits cwaits
T8
Whether this movie was about the dreams/apocalyptic storm on the way or a family dealing with mental illness and the willingness to cope and love, it still shined in my opinion. The acting and script were spot on. I am just frustrated that so many hate the ending or misinterpret it.
na simonj
na tsyni tsyni
na Winston4th
na Trooth Trooth
T9
It's a pretty slow-moving movie, but it's very good at building tension. It's pretty rare to see a movie where the ending was approaching, and I legitimately didn't know what was about to happen.
na Gideon Gideon
na frajer
na iMASLAN
na Difontaine Difontaine
T9
Or, "Why Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain are such big deals acting wise". Whilst the plot is a bit thin, this is carried by the two in style
na worleyjamers
T10
One of the best films of 2011. A brilliant film in every way. Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain give Oscar caliber performances in this emotional drama. The last 30-40 minutes are the most intense I've ever seen. I absolutely loved it!
na Diggler
na pedromga
na Cinemuck Cinemuck
na thaklos thaklos
T1
This film was an arduous experience, I didn't find the midwestern setting or the increasingly metaphorical difficulties facing Shannon's Curtis compelling enough to warrant the time I invested in this film. That isn't to say that the film is poorly executed, or that the performances are bad, because the performances are quite good and I think the film said exactly what it wanted to say, I just didn't care to hear it.
na BrotherReed BrotherReed
na mt11
na P_u_l_p P u l p
na negativland
na juntakinte68
na HiResDes HiResDes
na AndreasThau AndreasThau
T7
There is probably no one who can depict a mental downfall as Michael Shannon. He's got a capability of including his hole body in his acting, from top to toe. It's rather incredible how from just looking at him sitting at a table, you can tell whether he slept well! That to me makes the luring apocalypse in this film intense, interesting and credible.
na pittler pittler