Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
currently at ...
the Forum Guess the movie from th...
the Blog New Enhancement Film Typ...
0 films ranked
Post to Facebook
Posted to your Facebook profile
Rank It
500 characters left
Summary: Plagued by a series of apocalyptic visions, a young husband and father questions whether to shelter his family from a coming storm, or from himself. (imdb)
Genre: Drama
Country: USA
Directed By: Jeff Nichols
Written By: Jeff Nichols
Additional Information & Actions
More information at IMDb
Invalid Trailer
If you'd like, provide a new one!
Ratings
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na GeneralGrind
na Amember
na JakeAesthete
T7
Far more ambitious than Shotgun Stories, but also far more problematic.
na Nygaard
na Kavu
T7
I liked the drama but was a little put off by the complete lack of mystery about whether the storm was coming or not.
na nutterjr
na Aturion
na kingofjew
na begoniabol
T10
The acting is exceptionally good, has some nice cinematography and I think it shows very well how it would be like to be schizophrenic. Has a few creepy moments (I'm a wuss) and the ending is perfect
na monte
na mjh0811
na anonconmatt
na M.Robitussin
T6
pretty good. a little on the nose and predictable, but michael shannon and especially jessica chastain are fantastic. for most of the movie i really liked the score, but the song that plays over the end credits is fucking AWFUL. seriously bad. i wanna knock this down another five points for that song but that doesn't seem fair. oh, and people who are mad about the last scene are very silly.
na djaunb
na CatScandal
na pietias231
na cwaits
T8
Whether this movie was about the dreams/apocalyptic storm on the way or a family dealing with mental illness and the willingness to cope and love, it still shined in my opinion. The acting and script were spot on. I am just frustrated that so many hate the ending or misinterpret it.
na froce
na raboom
na Nick Hamden
na njjohn10
na Delek
na methad1
T5
I found myself getting impatient with this film and felt that it could of done with being about 30 minutes shorter - if you're going to do a movie that is slow paced, fine, just try not to drag it out too much. Acting was good and I really liked the score.
na clusterfunk
na Catt
na kino.dk
na EntertainMe
T9
Will he open the door? These little moments become huge.
na AbortedHugs
na JimmyLeresky
na danieldebem
na LittleJoeII
na viva hate
na dudelaxer
na Icarus
T5
A tough film to review. The struggle that plays out in Curtis' life between the need for security and the desire for normalcy is dramatized very well. Shannon is great in the lead, while Chastain plays a believably confused yet supportive wife. However, the film suffers from a bit too glacial pacing, as well as a final sequence of shots which destroys the fundamental ambiguity that Nichols has so carefully constructed over the course of the film.
na tsyni
na KeebsGS
na Losanq
na Eglaia
T10
One of the greatest films I've seen in a very long time, I don't even remember why I have it, but i'm so glad I got for whatever reason.. Amazing acting, even greater directing and a good script. Just a pure good cinema, fresh. It was good!
na r.Din
na tatabaanee
na AlleyLights2
na syvyys
T1
syd field proudly presents: cheap tricks part 2. learn everything about dreams and disabled children.
na funkybusnss
na explorer
na rydmcalboy
na Okkervil
T10
An undoubted work of genius. Tense, frightening, beautiful & touching, "Take Shelter" is indeed a rare concoction; mixing family drama, psychological exploration & possibly even a whisper of sci-fi!? The characters are brilliantly written, their relationships honest & real, with Shannon's performance absolutely staggering! The score is great too & there are several monumental scenes in this masterpiece from Nichols, but it was the epic final moments gave me goosebumps! Must see it again soon.
na amerigo
na fasoares
na Particles
na pzingg
T7
Stylistically cliche, but rates at least a 90 for the marvelous script that crosses the line on so many 2010 topics: climate change, terrorism and its effects on the paranoid US political culture, mental illness, America's shitty healthcare system wholly inadequate for families with disabilities, economic impossibilities for the middle class, etc.
na arirang
na AJD612
na Maandysheera
na Judo Koala
T10
The film is often overpowering in its emotional impact, thanks in large part to Shannon's role as a truly tormented, heartwrenchingly fragile family man (and his wife, tormented by association, but sympathetic all the same, played wonderfully by Chastain), and to Nichols's pace which begins as a slow-burn, and continues to a finale which is nearly suffocating in its anxiety and subsequent catharsis. Phenomenal stuff.
na mjjoao
na EzeeE
na snb
na adouble
T10
An absolutely phenomenal film. Michael Shannon gives an incredible performance as a man who might be losing his mind, and is terrified by the thought of that. He's backed up wonderfully by Chastain as his almost unbelievably supportive wife. The movie builds the tension continuously throughout, leading to an extremely appropriate finale. A true masterpiece.
na drreza
na TVCasualty
na muratkrks
na yoohoo
T9
Powerful acting by Shannon. Excellent story and very well done overall. Curtis is the kind of character who may seem slightly obnoxious in his mystery, but he's a believer.
na tsarstruck
na 2be
na tehguru
na parmesan
na t-h-o-r
na FrederikA
T10
Typically this type of movie, no matter how good, has the disadvantage of setting up for a pretty narrow either/or climax (in this case; He's either crazy or his premonitions are correct). Take Shelter moves beyond this, and offers a honest, believable drama with fantastic performances and an great sense of ambiguity (up until the coda, which I'm still a bit on the fence about)
na jkathrens
na Alan_Laidlaw
na LiamE
na quez2go
T6
This is a cool, unusual movie with great performances from Jessica Chastain and Michael Shannon. Jeff Nichols builds the tension in this film so well, it will really suck you in to its world. I urge skeptical people to give this movie a watch.
na M_A
na undinum
na DrAtomik
na krf7
T10
Please make more movies Jeff Nichols.
na Pecota
na Ryan Lueders
T4
I can only describe this movie as depressing. From almost the very beginning you see the life of a man unravel because he believes his dreams about a storm that's coming will come true. He starts building a storm shelter and puts his family in debt, he loses his job and his family suffers. The movie moves at a glacial pace but having patience pays off as the ending is quite wonderful. I'm just not a fan of watching someone's depressing life for an hour and forty-five minutes.
na mystery_man
na XakkMaster
T10
It's not about the storm. This is one of the most touching films about family, trust and understanding that I have ever had the pleasure of viewing. The relationship between Curtis and Sam takes us through the emotional wringer, powered by impeccable performances from Shannon and Chastain. Curtis's unraveling and obsession with the shelter is riveting, to be sure, but more poignant is the honesty and commitment of this 21st century American family in the face of medical and economic hardships.
na delrey
na thinkalot
na Nelson Nog
na chemical404
T8
Schizophrenia is my greatest fear so I bought into story and protagonist right away. Michael Shannon is great, and I guess he was an obvious choise for this role. I feel that the script needed some extra work on it - ambiguous ending in this case feels like a total cop-out.
na Hhitech
na benjamins88
na yrguner
na caiman
T9
Michael Shannon is simply one of the best actors working today. That he wasn't nominated for an Oscar for this role is, as the trite expression goes, absolutely criminal. The film maintains a well-balanced, well-paced sense of increasing tension for its entire running time. Some of his visions were quite frightening. And boy, that ending. I'll just say this: the more I think about the ending, the less certain I am that I "got" everything about this movie. Deceptively complex. Great stuff.
na PipoAlpuche
na ehrenkm
na homosuperior
T2
This is an overlong, rather dull psychological mystery with sci-fi overtones and it proves that there really isn't such a fine line between vague and incoherent. Despite the studied restraint the ending is nevertheless overdetermined and inevitable. Michael Shannon tries hard, I guess, but his part serves the premise, not the other way around.
na Suture Self
T10
I like Take Shelter because I'm an American and this movie is clearly about American apprehension and paranoia, or, specifically, the anxiety of becoming a father and starting a family in the modern-age, and the feeling you get from Jeff Nichols' story is a feeling that's very strong and very real, for many families and many people. An exciting work, because Jeff Nichols made this when he was only 32 years old, and hopefully has a promising future ahead of him.
na jacub82