Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
currently at ...
the Forum Guess the movie from th...
the Blog Order Filmmaker List by ...
0 films ranked
Share Post to Facebook
Posted to your Facebook profile
Rank It
500 characters left
Summary: Plagued by a series of apocalyptic visions, a young husband and father questions whether to shelter his family from a coming storm, or from himself. (imdb)
Genre: Drama
Country: USA
Directed By: Jeff Nichols
Written By: Jeff Nichols
Additional Information & Actions
More information at IMDb
Invalid Trailer
If you'd like, provide a new one!
Ratings
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na dumanx
na soraxtm
na Judo Koala
T10
The film is often overpowering in its emotional impact, thanks in large part to Shannon's role as a truly tormented, heartwrenchingly fragile family man (and his wife, tormented by association, but sympathetic all the same, played wonderfully by Chastain), and to Nichols's pace which begins as a slow-burn, and continues to a finale which is nearly suffocating in its anxiety and subsequent catharsis. Phenomenal stuff.
na Mazros
na jgreenwood
na Teovern
na frederic_g54
T10
(2nd viewing) Wow, Shannon plays his heart out as Curtis; I was shaken by my willingness to identify with his growing torment which speaks volumes about both his performance and the film's veracity. Just a knockout of a film that had me glued to my seat, unfolding like a waking nightmare while subtly yet brilliantly building up to one of the most intense climaxes of recent years. A great film from an exciting filmmaker, despite the climax not holding up well after a rewatch.
na Ofterdingen
na sarm2005
na steve5
na pzingg
T7
Stylistically cliche, but rates at least a 90 for the marvelous script that crosses the line on so many 2010 topics: climate change, terrorism and its effects on the paranoid US political culture, mental illness, America's shitty healthcare system wholly inadequate for families with disabilities, economic impossibilities for the middle class, etc.
na Trooth
T9
It's a pretty slow-moving movie, but it's very good at building tension. It's pretty rare to see a movie where the ending was approaching, and I legitimately didn't know what was about to happen.
na interworld
na Henrik
na BillyShears
T10
"Now dont get me started on this economy!" Great lil slow burn. (This made a REALLY DARK double feature with the Muppets)
na themadelf66
na mjf333
na Ariaz
na yoohoo
T9
Powerful acting by Shannon. Excellent story and very well done overall. Curtis is the kind of character who may seem slightly obnoxious in his mystery, but he's a believer.
na tenhas
na Steven32
na JohnSandwich
T10
Shotgun Stories wasn't all that, but it did show some promise. And here Nichols delivers on that. The film looks great, has a nice score, good editing. And then you also have the perfect role for Michael Shannon (just a joke he isn't among the Academy Award nominees) who's ably supported by an equally impressive Chastain. It might be a little too long and fizzles a bit, but it is really a very impressive film. Excellent stuff.
na SpaceSpiff
na delrey
na toby5
na Eglaia
T10
One of the greatest films I've seen in a very long time, I don't even remember why I have it, but i'm so glad I got for whatever reason.. Amazing acting, even greater directing and a good script. Just a pure good cinema, fresh. It was good!
na Timoteo77
na TnS
na gazpacho
na thinkalot
na KramYessev
T9
The best American film of the year. "Take Shelter" is a lot deeper than it initially appears although the feeling of anxiety and unease is constant throughout, helped along by Shannon's incredible and subtle performance. It becomes so engaging and emotional at times, even to the point where it becomes hard to watch (in a good way) that I became too enveloped in what was going on and didn't read into the actual message, which will stick with you long after the end credits.
na Liz
na batui
na Alienz555
na DaeSanye
na snallygaster
T9
The portrayal of mental illness (if that's what it is, and in my opinion it is) doesn't completely escape Hollywoodisms, but it does better than most. It's a real shame the CGI falls so short of maintaining the illusion. Excellent performance by Shannon and the entire cast.
na maksler
na Coriolan
na beowafle
na Pickpocket
T9
Possibly the most overlooked film of 2011. Jeff Nichols proves that his first film was no fluke, guy is legit and he has a great muse in Michael Shannon who is once again fantastic. Jessica Chastain was perfectly cast as well. The pacing was great and the ending was solid.
na SMP
na DanCook
na numan
na FrederikA
T10
Typically this type of movie, no matter how good, has the disadvantage of setting up for a pretty narrow either/or climax (in this case; He's either crazy or his premonitions are correct). Take Shelter moves beyond this, and offers a honest, believable drama with fantastic performances and an great sense of ambiguity (up until the coda, which I'm still a bit on the fence about)
na sevinceda
na Nordvig
na dsjoerdsma
na JakeAesthete
T7
Far more ambitious than Shotgun Stories, but also far more problematic.
na babakmod
na cayh
na denese
na lunarstyle
na ozonepaul
na Snazz
T9
Something is coming... take shelter! Shannon does a brilliant job portraying a man suffering from paranoia. He is driven by the sudden strong feeling that danger is looming and that he must protect his beloved family. Chastain delivers a strong performance as well, as his wife, who is affected greatly by his strange behavioural changes caused the psychological strain of his condition. So far one of the strongest drama productions of 2012 (Denmark), though perhaps slightly slow paced for 120 min.
na Guaporense
na SirStuckey
T9
A slow methodically paced movie that does the best job of representing the onset of what a potential mental illness that I have seen. Like the main character the audience constantly feels like something horrible is destined to happen even though no one else believes it. The acting is top notch and the setting fits the mood perfectly. It was slightly overlong (which is accentuated by how slow the film is) and there are a few plot points I didn't care for, but it's definitely worth a watch.
na ProgGenesis
na rfdutra
na 2be
na TreyAtwood
T3
It shouldn't really be 2 hours long. The film is too long and boring most of the times and I'm really not happy to had been dragged to this flick with the expectation of being a trhilling apocalyptic story.
na chadcrawford
na philips
na gwynplaine
na Dean Franz
T9
My natural instinct is to put this down as merely a dose of heartland paranoia and "just-add-water"-spirituality, but my non-Redneck leanings aside, this film has the austere appeal of a late Johnny Cash song and needs to be appreciated as such. And any movie that concludes with a song by Nichols is fine by me. (Dickish review, I know, but I trust my fellow critickers are gonna cover all the important allegory-territory and the fact that Shannon is the fucking man, so forgive me my lazyness.)
na Baby Fish
na mandy
T8
Intense and unpredictable. There is so much in this film about trust, love and dealing with mental instability. Fantastic, believable performances from both leads.
na QuickyAPI
na bhoyo
na hubies
na mert
T9
Be aware to Curtis names nowadays:)
na dgstan
na MArkjp
T9
Okay, since nobody else seems to be willing to adress this, I guess I'll have to: This feels like a M. Night. Shyamalan film gone absolutely right.
na kordkarimi
na Colten97
na redfrost
na Calexico
T8
Very good drama. The characters are well-developed and intriguing. It's quite beautifully shot.
na caracal
na Alban
na fcherchi
na felipelahm
T8
It came to a certain point that I got really confused. I just didn't know if I were watching a dreadful diary of another mad man, a frightening tale about the end of the world or a very smart horror film inspired by the financial crisis and the consequent breakdown of happy families. Take Shelter immerses itself in a long suburban journey of anxiety, fear and total lack of security. And it only reveals more and more disturbance.
na axleblaze
na IcyBrian
na acrolyne
na lex
T9
Nichols kicks it up a notch from Shotgun Stories' perfected simplicity and makes a film both captivating and relevant in this age of apocalyptic obsessions. With two films, Nichols is already on my list of favorite contemporary filmmakers.
na Vmfs