Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
currently at ...
the Forum Guess the movie from th...
the Blog Order Filmmaker List by ...
0 films ranked
Share Post to Facebook
Posted to your Facebook profile
Rank It
500 characters left
Summary: Plagued by a series of apocalyptic visions, a young husband and father questions whether to shelter his family from a coming storm, or from himself. (imdb)
Genre: Drama
Country: USA
Directed By: Jeff Nichols
Written By: Jeff Nichols
Additional Information & Actions
More information at IMDb
Invalid Trailer
If you'd like, provide a new one!
Buy
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na paah
na moses
na Carpetgiant
T8
Pretty good for an independent film - especially regarding special effects and the acting - about a million-billions times better than any original movie that airs on the Syfy channel. The story is a little predictable at times, but not to the point that it bothered me - I still enjoyed it. I can't really say much more than that without spoiling anything. Definitely worth a rental.
na numbersix_99
na bown
T9
It's a wonderful mediation on the onset of mental illness, to start, but it's more than that - it's a comment on our society, and the anxiety and worry that can grip us all with the world in its current state. Shannon is a goddamn acting powerhouse, and Chastain is great as usual. Beautiful Malickian visuals, a fantastically unsettling tone, and a breathtaking final message. The best American film of the year. ps if you think the final scene means "he was right all along" you're mad dumb
na pedromga
na korbenPL
na explorer
na FrederikA
T10
Typically this type of movie, no matter how good, has the disadvantage of setting up for a pretty narrow either/or climax (in this case; He's either crazy or his premonitions are correct). Take Shelter moves beyond this, and offers a honest, believable drama with fantastic performances and an great sense of ambiguity (up until the coda, which I'm still a bit on the fence about)
na nberezo
na chadcrawford
na pjdevitt
na nvcnancy
na WBadger
na Ammit
na quez2go
T6
This is a cool, unusual movie with great performances from Jessica Chastain and Michael Shannon. Jeff Nichols builds the tension in this film so well, it will really suck you in to its world. I urge skeptical people to give this movie a watch.
na heljohnsn
na Oni
na Luk92
na ozdemibr
T9
insanın kendine, kendi emeğine, ilişkilerine, dünyaya ve yaşama yabancılaşması üzerine.
na Piglet
T10
Unsettling, and another accomplishment by Nichols, who most likely has a brilliant career ahead of him!
na Corey M
na OziiX
na intheboolite
na djross
T9
Very well-done and interesting film, that both creates great tension and handles its themes with subtlety and nuance. It is more than either a psychological and sociological account of mental illness, or a generic apocalyptic tale. Rather, it is an investigation of contemporary collective feelings of anxiety and foreboding, and it takes these feelings as genuine questions, rather than as either evidence of insanity or signs of prophetic truth. The first work I have seen by a promising director. [Full Review]
na Kusanagi
T9
Normally, I dislike the overuse of dream sequences (I think they're mostly a cop-out), this is the first time in many years that I've looked forward to every single one. This definitely seems to be Chastain's year (why she was Nomed for the Help and not for this, I'll never understand), but Shannon's certainly no slouch. High points, besides performances, go to a solid cinematography and score.
na lebnof
na Darbicus
na jakartan
na roofs_runner
T9
Take Shelter is a multilayered cake that works both on your emotions and perception of reality. Another excellent realization of the idea of intense anticipation. Something same big since the Coen's A Serious Man.
na nicks112
na twincinema
na Mattsdmf
na mkellins
T7
It wasn't quite as captivating as I was hoping for. Some scenes tend to drag and some of the actions of the characters seemed forced. Still, it is a pretty impressive film. The acting is great and the film is shot very beautifully. It's absolutely worth watching.
na Brettster
na thatgreatwar
na lionesque
na KasperL
T10
Entranced me. Part of its ability to mesmerize comes from the amazing Shannon and Chastain but everything about the film is superb, really. The nightmare sequences are haunting. One can believe that they take such a strong hold on Curtis, and his (possible) descent into madness is adeptly depicted. 'Take Shelter' joins the ranks of two other transcendental domestic dramas, 'A Separation' and 'The Tree of Life', completing a trifecta of 2011-masterpieces.
na EzeeE
na lunarstyle
na PekkaVaino
na Dufftone
na Rubens
na smhdlk
na muutanet
T10
Well acted and build story of upcoming inner and outer storm. I liked the subtle effects and the mystery what's going on.
na Rojon
na jjrocketman
na TechKnee
na snallygaster
T9
The portrayal of mental illness (if that's what it is, and in my opinion it is) doesn't completely escape Hollywoodisms, but it does better than most. It's a real shame the CGI falls so short of maintaining the illusion. Excellent performance by Shannon and the entire cast.
na luke.noise
na nateamill
na overrated
na murtyrock
na TheDiceman
T9
Shannon seems to have a remarkable talent for playing mentally deranged characters.
na zurnzurn
na Happywombat
na auhasarderik
na CinematicESP
T10
The kind of film that leaves me feeling like things aren't gonna be okay, in the best way. Shannon and Chastain are acting forces to be reckoned with.
na nuotio
na rthornhill
T7
shannon has some memorable mad moments.....
na fasoares
na Blindfolk
na Teisomania
na Moribunny
T8
"Foreboding" is how I'd describe this in a single word. Jeff Nichols' proficient cinematography was already evident in Shotgun Stories, but his storytelling lagged behind. It takes a step forward in Take Shelter. Though it still doesn't have much depth, and is still a tad too slow-burning, the characterizations are just naturalistic enough to prop up the fatalistic "brewing storm" mood that makes this gripping.
na Rckeller093
na Derek_
na moss piglet
na Dicke_Taube
na DrCalculator
na methad1
T5
I found myself getting impatient with this film and felt that it could of done with being about 30 minutes shorter - if you're going to do a movie that is slow paced, fine, just try not to drag it out too much. Acting was good and I really liked the score.
na tata
na daystron7
na Bandy
na JohnSandwich
T10
Shotgun Stories wasn't all that, but it did show some promise. And here Nichols delivers on that. The film looks great, has a nice score, good editing. And then you also have the perfect role for Michael Shannon (just a joke he isn't among the Academy Award nominees) who's ably supported by an equally impressive Chastain. It might be a little too long and fizzles a bit, but it is really a very impressive film. Excellent stuff.
na sarm2005
na gimmefiction
na diogorma
na avgcrtckr
na yoohoo
T9
Powerful acting by Shannon. Excellent story and very well done overall. Curtis is the kind of character who may seem slightly obnoxious in his mystery, but he's a believer.
na Gizmo
na svenerik
na eats-almonds
na Bunken
T10
Shannon own this movie...
na Maandysheera
na johnhuss
na adouble
T10
An absolutely phenomenal film. Michael Shannon gives an incredible performance as a man who might be losing his mind, and is terrified by the thought of that. He's backed up wonderfully by Chastain as his almost unbelievably supportive wife. The movie builds the tension continuously throughout, leading to an extremely appropriate finale. A true masterpiece.
na friendo55
T10
Michael Shannon was robbed of a Best Actor nomination. Adding to that, Jessica Chastain WAS nominated, but for the wrong movie this year! Both Shannon & Chastain were fantastic here. This is a movie that builds slowly but very tense throughout until that controversial ending. I love the well-rounded character built for Shannon in that he does everything he can to deal with his visions and dreams. Seeing the Q&A and meeting Chastain after the film at TIFF was a lovely cherry on top. Amazing film!
na benobeno
na amccaffrey
na Nepeta
T9
Utterly compelling. It tiptoes beautifully between being a spine-chilling psychological horror film, an emotionally intense look in to mental illness and how it can isolate you from those around you, and a look at the effort and love it can take for a family to keep together when there are so many needs to balance and keep met. The ending is ambiguous and stunning.
na rydmcalboy
na lotr23
na natebarrios
na myfavchords
T9
This is a great movie with two powerhouse performances by Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain. The script is excellent and original. I highly recommend this movie.
na leland1984
na siptar
na Spunkie
na Snazz
T9
Something is coming... take shelter! Shannon does a brilliant job portraying a man suffering from paranoia. He is driven by the sudden strong feeling that danger is looming and that he must protect his beloved family. Chastain delivers a strong performance as well, as his wife, who is affected greatly by his strange behavioural changes caused the psychological strain of his condition. So far one of the strongest drama productions of 2012 (Denmark), though perhaps slightly slow paced for 120 min.
na NRM03
na k-pax
na I.L.
na arzinger
na Filligan
T8
As Take Shelter deliberately drags on, it becomes a deeply unsettling psychological thriller. As the ending drew near, I was convinced there wasn't any route this film would shy away from, and that slowly pulled me closer to the edge of my seat. Shannon does a great, criminally overlooked job. The ending seals the deal as something worth thought and debate.
na BrotherAck