Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
currently at ...
the Forum Most disturbing movies ...
the Blog New Enhancement Film Typ...
0 films ranked
Post to Facebook
Posted to your Facebook profile
Rank It
500 characters left
Summary: Plagued by a series of apocalyptic visions, a young husband and father questions whether to shelter his family from a coming storm, or from himself. (imdb)
Genre: Drama
Country: USA
Directed By: Jeff Nichols
Written By: Jeff Nichols
Additional Information & Actions
More information at IMDb
Invalid Trailer
If you'd like, provide a new one!
Ratings
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na Dean Franz
T9
My natural instinct is to put this down as merely a dose of heartland paranoia and "just-add-water"-spirituality, but my non-Redneck leanings aside, this film has the austere appeal of a late Johnny Cash song and needs to be appreciated as such. And any movie that concludes with a song by Nichols is fine by me. (Dickish review, I know, but I trust my fellow critickers are gonna cover all the important allegory-territory and the fact that Shannon is the fucking man, so forgive me my lazyness.)
na lotr-sam0711
na mxr110
na xeorg
na Ytadel
T5
It would make many film critics physically attack me to hear me say so, but over the years the tropes and cliches of indie arthouse character studies have become almost as codified as those of slick summer blockbusters. Chilly dinner table scenes? Check. Protagonist having a third act freakout scene? Check. Abrupt, ambiguous ending? Check. Dream sequences galore too. Loved Michael Shannon's performance (it's a shame he's almost forced to underact on Boardwalk Empire) and the score though.
na x@nder
na Nick Hamden
na Hennimore
na worleyjamers
T10
One of the best films of 2011. A brilliant film in every way. Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain give Oscar caliber performances in this emotional drama. The last 30-40 minutes are the most intense I've ever seen. I absolutely loved it!
na busesoysall
na ArticSounds
na orkunersin
na yoohoo
T9
Powerful acting by Shannon. Excellent story and very well done overall. Curtis is the kind of character who may seem slightly obnoxious in his mystery, but he's a believer.
na gunes
na Rotten Users
na nfrederickx
na frederic_g54
T10
(2nd viewing) Wow, Shannon plays his heart out as Curtis; I was shaken by my willingness to identify with his growing torment which speaks volumes about both his performance and the film's veracity. Just a knockout of a film that had me glued to my seat, unfolding like a waking nightmare while subtly yet brilliantly building up to one of the most intense climaxes of recent years. A great film from an exciting filmmaker, despite the climax not holding up well after a rewatch.
na cloque
na walkabout
na nuotio
na still
na atticuszink
na Bunken
T10
Shannon own this movie...
na DanCook
na KeanuGrieves
T10
A riveting thriller disguised as a quiet indie drama; one of the best films of 2011. (Full review: http://tinyurl.com/8y49e3y)
na bookhouseboy
#12#, reviews, story
na almanccc
na Onix Verumi
na bentien
T10
Aside from the schematic feel of the dream sequences this is a terrific film with superb performances, intense atmosphere and clever use of different genres.
na dgstan
na funkybusnss
na avdibeg
na RaymundLi
T9
A rich and complex portrait of both madness and the uncertainty of these times. Nichols captures feelings of creeping dread and growing panic with precision. And Shannon, of course, gives a marvelous and surprisingly restrained performance.
na Grouchy
na FallenAnzel
na JBIRD
na damil
T7
Iím not quite sure what to make of this one. Some of the scenes were awesome. They were dark, scary, unnerving, intenseÖ But a lot of it was rather slow-moving and with little happening in it. Iím not necessarily saying thatís a bad thing, but I donít know how well they worked together. It was well-shot and looked beautiful and it did captivate me. Good performances all around, especially from Michael Shannon.
na Henrik
T1
na geckoteck
na quez2go
T6
This is a cool, unusual movie with great performances from Jessica Chastain and Michael Shannon. Jeff Nichols builds the tension in this film so well, it will really suck you in to its world. I urge skeptical people to give this movie a watch.
na machanstyle
na Badger
T7
This is one helluva indie film. Solid acting once again from Michael Shannon, great paranoid tone.
na bal3x
na jewellrunner
na oracle2b
na d_drudges
T9
Take Shelter shows us a man who is finally becoming unhinged trying to deal with the social life in a modern capitalistic society, and the schizophrenic realities inherent in it. Michael Shannon is amazing as the unwitting protagonist. I had problems relating to the shelter building plot device, but that's probably due to me being from somewhere where major storms can't happen.
na woofat
na Tjekhov
na jjackson80
na wokhedinn
T7
Shannon and Chastain deliver top notch performances in a film better suited as an hour long TV episode than a two hour feature. Nichols has a solid idea in place and executes it well when he has time, but more often than not the script is just lengthening things out early on in some vain attempt at building character. If you can make it past the lengthy first act you'll reach an emotional finale with a gorgeous score. But making that far may not be worth the journey.
na lethias
na Junior1919
na ATLANTIS1
na Ryan Lueders
T4
I can only describe this movie as depressing. From almost the very beginning you see the life of a man unravel because he believes his dreams about a storm that's coming will come true. He starts building a storm shelter and puts his family in debt, he loses his job and his family suffers. The movie moves at a glacial pace but having patience pays off as the ending is quite wonderful. I'm just not a fan of watching someone's depressing life for an hour and forty-five minutes.
na stojke.igor
na Ercan
na ibnisabbah
na PDMChubby
T9
Emotionally intense. Shannon and Chastain are absolutely fantastic in their performances. There's a little bit of on-the-nose symbolism, but it's easy to forgive. Also a lot of food for thought here about the state of the American mindset, both collectively and personally, and it means so much more because you get deeply invested in the characters.
na SpookyFox
na CatScandal
na VTJoker
na MrGreedy
T9
Great and engaging from start to finish. It left me thinking about the film for a few days after as it has a particular mood and atmosphere that's not quite horror, but disturbing never the less. Can't wait for the blu-ray release.
na gemtea
na kristna184
na heidavey
na Noblet
T7
Works as both a character study of an everyday man dealing with all kinds of familiar problems and as a super tense, excellently paced thriller. The acting is great all-around, and the imagery presented throughout the film is frightening and memorable.
na Mirelurk
na Ram0n
na AlphaBale
na Petroleum
T7
A psychological thriller that really pays to watch. It's a look into the life of a man who doesn't know if he is going insane or can see something that no one else can. The acting is what seriously brings the movie home. A rare End-of-the-World genre movie done right.
na I'm prowler
na Rigters
na nikolajrh
na BillyShears
T10
"Now dont get me started on this economy!" Great lil slow burn. (This made a REALLY DARK double feature with the Muppets)
na DeadlyRaven
na AVclub
na arzinger
na gwynplaine
na chemical404
T8
Schizophrenia is my greatest fear so I bought into story and protagonist right away. Michael Shannon is great, and I guess he was an obvious choise for this role. I feel that the script needed some extra work on it - ambiguous ending in this case feels like a total cop-out.
na dmtls