Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
currently at ...
the Forum Actors with the most fi...
the Blog New Enhancement Film Typ...
0 films ranked
Post to Facebook
Posted to your Facebook profile
Rank It
500 characters left
Summary: Plagued by a series of apocalyptic visions, a young husband and father questions whether to shelter his family from a coming storm, or from himself. (imdb)
Genre: Drama
Country: USA
Directed By: Jeff Nichols
Written By: Jeff Nichols
Additional Information & Actions
More information at IMDb
Invalid Trailer
If you'd like, provide a new one!
Ratings
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na Natachita
na Vasily
na Mirelurk
na Ross
T10
Great performances and some beautiful visuals keep you on the edge of your seat, despite the slow pacing. The story is very simple, but perfectly balanced between elements of sympathy for Shannon and anger towards his action.
na thedeadwalk!
na DirtyHarry
na scanoni
na astrakhan
T6
The premise was interesting but I found the pace of the film a little too slow to deal with, and the fatal flaw was that I was never really rooting for the central character to survive/recover/pull through. The character was missing a sympathetic side, in that regard. His wife and daughter I could root for, but with the man it was always being on the outside looking in. Good acting but a too spartan story and characters not polished enough, making it one of the more overhyped films of 2011.
na Guernica
na ajessen03
na macab
na quez2go
T6
This is a cool, unusual movie with great performances from Jessica Chastain and Michael Shannon. Jeff Nichols builds the tension in this film so well, it will really suck you in to its world. I urge skeptical people to give this movie a watch.
na Giskard
na diegosdiner
na Gr8Googly
na closedmouth
T6
Nichols's sense of pacing has improved dramatically in the space of two films. I'm really impressed with the amount of tension and genuine emotion he gets from this scenario without sacrificing that deliberate pace and the detached, languid atmosphere that he was going for, with less success, in Shotgun Stories. My only problem came with the last shot, which I thought undermined what seemed up to that point to be a pretty insightful portrayal of mental illness. A shame.
na negativland
na Kusanagi
T9
Normally, I dislike the overuse of dream sequences (I think they're mostly a cop-out), this is the first time in many years that I've looked forward to every single one. This definitely seems to be Chastain's year (why she was Nomed for the Help and not for this, I'll never understand), but Shannon's certainly no slouch. High points, besides performances, go to a solid cinematography and score.
na katsuben
na mrsackles
na BillyShears
T10
"Now dont get me started on this economy!" Great lil slow burn. (This made a REALLY DARK double feature with the Muppets)
na HiResDes
na arzinger
na timmo
T5
Great performances, even though the plot lends itself to general predictability.
na irbis
na Quimbo
na gwynplaine
na Riptide0
T10
An amazing performance from Michael Shannon centers this intense drama. The film is very grounded and never gives much either way to show if he's insane or actually getting signs from above and the way Shannon handles the internal struggles of the character is amazing. The films also benefits from a solid supporting cast and directing as well as surprisingly beautiful shots and special effects. One of the best of the year.
na norval_jones
na TonyS.
na puchi
na begoniabol
T10
The acting is exceptionally good, has some nice cinematography and I think it shows very well how it would be like to be schizophrenic. Has a few creepy moments (I'm a wuss) and the ending is perfect
na pizdin_dim
na Menji76
na GimpChimp
na eCitizen
T4
While the main character does seem to redeem himself by the end, it was a long and tedious path to watch him get there. The director took too many opportunities to just let the camera sit there and stretched out inconsequential moments to become boring. It was somewhat interesting to watch this man question his sanity, and take steps to addressing it. Otherwise, this is not a very remarkable story. I really liked the role of he wife though.
na Koalafish
na Melvelet
na kino.dk
na worleyjamers
T10
One of the best films of 2011. A brilliant film in every way. Michael Shannon and Jessica Chastain give Oscar caliber performances in this emotional drama. The last 30-40 minutes are the most intense I've ever seen. I absolutely loved it!
na clayj41
na dforman
na justinhilton
na almanccc
na LouisMazzini
T6
Strong performances but the film has little else. Ultimately felt it was pointless.
na GGplato
na orkunersin
na Typha
na Derekstar
T7
Can we all just agree that Jessica Chastain is a paragon of virtue? I'd let that woman ruin my life, I don't give a shit.
na gimmefiction
na betorocha
na periboku
na PeaceAnarchy
T6
It's a shame this never feels like a complete movie and stumbles towards its finale, because it does a very good job of setting the emotional tone.
na PeterdeJ
na tembelist
na TVCasualty
na SirStuckey
T9
A slow methodically paced movie that does the best job of representing the onset of what a potential mental illness that I have seen. Like the main character the audience constantly feels like something horrible is destined to happen even though no one else believes it. The acting is top notch and the setting fits the mood perfectly. It was slightly overlong (which is accentuated by how slow the film is) and there are a few plot points I didn't care for, but it's definitely worth a watch.
na flowing
na Elliott?
na XakkMaster
T10
It's not about the storm. This is one of the most touching films about family, trust and understanding that I have ever had the pleasure of viewing. The relationship between Curtis and Sam takes us through the emotional wringer, powered by impeccable performances from Shannon and Chastain. Curtis's unraveling and obsession with the shelter is riveting, to be sure, but more poignant is the honesty and commitment of this 21st century American family in the face of medical and economic hardships.
na svenerik
na Simon M.
na bsgb
na Suture Self
T10
I like Take Shelter because I'm an American and this movie is clearly about American apprehension and paranoia, or, specifically, the anxiety of becoming a father and starting a family in the modern-age, and the feeling you get from Jeff Nichols' story is a feeling that's very strong and very real, for many families and many people. An exciting work, because Jeff Nichols made this when he was only 32 years old, and hopefully has a promising future ahead of him.
na lebnof
na kronstadtli
na cmcgrew87
na dmbbearcat
na efonseca
na Goratory
na whatismyname
T9
In a way it was predictable, but its one of those few films that possibly knowing what will happen doesn't affect the enjoyment. Been wanting to see more of Michael Shannon since first seeing him in Boardwalk Empire and he does a tremendous job in this role.
na TrixRabbi
na lex
T9
Nichols kicks it up a notch from Shotgun Stories' perfected simplicity and makes a film both captivating and relevant in this age of apocalyptic obsessions. With two films, Nichols is already on my list of favorite contemporary filmmakers.
na SlantMag
T8
"Michael Shannon's haunting performance as a blue-collar Ohio man victimized by schizophrenia carries this dread-infused character study." - Bill Weber
na Lobo_Lopez
na monte
na alexandros6
na CAMcleod
T8
A ponderous, subtle film which draws you in slowly with its images and its music. Michael Shannon once again shines out like some insane star, and Jessica Chastain gives another interesting performance in what must be one of the most exciting debut years for any actress ever! Disturbing, as well, this film, in a good way...Looking forward to more from Jeff Nichols in future.
na dumbjaw
na siptar
na SMP
na hellboy76
T10
Pretty brilliant film from Nichols. Shannon really gets to shine and Chastain is good in the sort of predictable confused wife role. I personally loved the ending.
na lamborgini
na Achk
na peekingpanda
na ozdemibr
T9
insanın kendine, kendi emeğine, ilişkilerine, dünyaya ve yaşama yabancılaşması üzerine.
na snallygaster
T9
The portrayal of mental illness (if that's what it is, and in my opinion it is) doesn't completely escape Hollywoodisms, but it does better than most. It's a real shame the CGI falls so short of maintaining the illusion. Excellent performance by Shannon and the entire cast.
na Choni
na Gordon Cole
na nyg500
na Dogubomb
na thirdeye89
na Valenzetti
T9
It's a bit too up-front with its symbolism, but beautifully crafted all the same. It's telling that a film which pairs its economic troubles with psychotic episodes comes across as relatively muted for an American working-class drama these days. I'd like to see the rise of an American Neo(sur)realism.
na hattrik
na earthlydel
na Teovern
na Kavu
T7
I liked the drama but was a little put off by the complete lack of mystery about whether the storm was coming or not.
na filmcave
na spookey
na daystron7
na Shadrik
na shalev
na DanCook
na Petroleum
T7
A psychological thriller that really pays to watch. It's a look into the life of a man who doesn't know if he is going insane or can see something that no one else can. The acting is what seriously brings the movie home. A rare End-of-the-World genre movie done right.
na TarantinOle
na RaymundLi
T10
A rich and complex portrait of both madness and the uncertainty of these times. Nichols captures feelings of creeping dread and growing panic with precision. And Shannon, of course, gives a marvelous and surprisingly restrained performance.
na damil
T7
I’m not quite sure what to make of this one. Some of the scenes were awesome. They were dark, scary, unnerving, intense… But a lot of it was rather slow-moving and with little happening in it. I’m not necessarily saying that’s a bad thing, but I don’t know how well they worked together. It was well-shot and looked beautiful and it did captivate me. Good performances all around, especially from Michael Shannon.
na maul.77
na Mattsdmf
na Bryan C.
na Judo Koala
T10
The film is often overpowering in its emotional impact, thanks in large part to Shannon's role as a truly tormented, heartwrenchingly fragile family man (and his wife, tormented by association, but sympathetic all the same, played wonderfully by Chastain), and to Nichols's pace which begins as a slow-burn, and continues to a finale which is nearly suffocating in its anxiety and subsequent catharsis. Phenomenal stuff.
na jsopanen
na intheboolite
na yoohoo
T9
Powerful acting by Shannon. Excellent story and very well done overall. Curtis is the kind of character who may seem slightly obnoxious in his mystery, but he's a believer.
na jrisgod