Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
currently at ...
the Forum Criticker MOM October ...
the Blog New Enhancement Film Typ...
0 films ranked
Post to Facebook
Posted to your Facebook profile
Rank It
500 characters left
Summary: A documentary centered on a young Frenchman who convinces a grieving Texas family that he is their 16-year-old son who went missing for 3 years. (imdb)
Country: UK, USA
Directed By: Bart Layton
Additional Information & Actions
More information at IMDb
Ratings
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na zunpre
na whitejeft
na snallygaster
T7
I have a pretty hard heart and even I found this difficult to watch at times. I can't help think that the one extra angle introduced weakens the power of the story somewhat, but it is certainly interesting.
na sonique
na chiefg
na screamin_p
na buak
T5
Agustos 2013, Cesme & Filmin sonlarina dogru hissedilen gerilimli atmosferinin etkileyici oldugunu dusunuyorum. Bunu vermek konusunda basarili bir is. Lakin bundan ote de bir deger tasimiyor. Tortum'un dedigi gibi; hikaye guzel ve film de biraz onun ekmegini yiyor gibi.
na Gabriel_p
na Heen
na hellabased
na spudding
T3
Mildly interesting. Many may like it but for me it should have been a real documentary. No much more to say about it. I will recommend watching if you are into psychology and thrillers at the same time.
na niksus777
na GoodMovie
na penguinfreud
na Ag0stoMesmer
T10
This doc had a lot going on; FFSing at the authorities, entertaining eccentrics -Boss Hogg detective was ace, knots of trauma and delusion. Fascinating stuff.
na kyle.loomis
na wrigoo
na TheSean
na onuryilyang
na filmcave
na Johnny6Gun
na Wezzo
T9
Absolutely mesmerising from start to finish, The Imposter plays out stunningly, yet inevitably.
na Quimbo
T9
Unbelievable... there is almost definitely more to this story, and it's frustrating that the truth has never come out.
na soraxtm
na H9k
na zerothh
na B.2
T9
Fascinating story, adeptly narrated.
na struizzle
na johnatanjj
na jspidah
na KasperL
T9
Suspenseful and probably the most entertaining documentary I've seen. The narration held me in its grip throughout and there are some nice twists and turns. The denouement is less than amazing but the film, though it's hard to believe, is about real life events, after all. It's beyond insane that this really happened.
na doddsinator
na annie
na starkist777
na caiman
T2
I went into this with some misconceptions. For whatever reason I was expecting a much more intelligent, eerie depiction of a strange crime, with perhaps a touch of Exit Through the Gift Shop style meta-reality. But that's not what this is; rather it's a fairly generic crime story that you'd be likely to see on prime time TV. True the polished style sets it beyond that stylistically, but the level of involvement I felt was nothing greater than that of a 15 minute Dateline NBC story.
na raven77
na cyhnqcl
na sg31873
na axleblaze
T8
A chilling and baffling film.
na eeeli
na Movida
na ltjjj89
na AFlickering
T4
its manipulation is too transparent; my all-encompassing suspicion prevented me from falling into the trap of mirroring the family's confirmation bias (and feeling implicated by that final shot). linklater's superior 'bernie' forced me to adopt the town's perspective with an innocuous tone echoing bernie's homely, earnest charm; i didn't feel manipulated, so i wasn't suspicious. mcconaughey's disgust left me feeling chastened and unsettled. 'the imposter' just left me feeling smarter than it.
na delgado
na VerticalGunn
na insane
na WWallce4prez
T7
The bizarre aspects of this story are so numerous its baffling. Edited to give us a pretty suspenseful documentary.
na notsothinman
na EntertainMe
T8
My terrible first review (score: 40) "Completely wicked premise stretched painfully out to 90 minutes. Very well-shot B-footage. Probably could have worked better as a full-on dramatization, actually, and I rarely say that." Ugh
na lawngreen
na wzw
na jimmyjazz
na M.Robitussin
T6
i wasn't crazy about the reliance on reenactments but this was still a cool story.
na katsuben
na trip9
na korbenPL
na homosuperior
T8
This fascinating account of how a 23-year old French scam artist, Frederic Bourdin, impersonated a missing 16-year old boy from Texas, going so far as to be accepted by the boy's family, moving in with them but finally being made by a private investigator and an initially clueless FBI agent, has all kinds of things to suggest about identity, grief, the presentation of self, deception and self-deception, guilt and survival, mostly of the American kind. Recommended.
na TheDiceman
Very good.
na muratkrks
na Tova
na myfavchords
T8
This is a really interesting documentary. The film is interesting the entire way and it raises several interesting questions. Unfortunately the film leaves you wanting to known what happened to one person at the end but because it is based on real events we do not know what actually happened. I definitely recommend this well made documentary.
na noi
na grodrig1
na dunetails
na dequinix
na Bunken
T3
Yes, the story is extremely special, but besides some great editing I didn't find The Imposter very interesting. Seemed like an extended version of a weekly unsolved crime show...
na damil
T9
It ended up being a whole lot more interesting and messed up than I anticipated. I enjoyed watching it a lot. It was very compelling and even nerve-wracking. Itís a pretty insane story, and itís hard to believe itís true. The film was very well-made, with great editing and effective use of dramatisations. I definitely recommend this.
na DivineMrE
na thecritic7
na dougsiu
na Obdurate
T10
Knowing nothing about the real case I didn't know what to expect. I liked the premise and wanted to see what came from it. Turns out this is a pretty complex docu-thriller, and not what I thought at all. It draws you into the world of a pathological liar/identity theft, goes from being a gripping tale of a family and loss to a true-crime movie. Like his identity, you're left wondering what the truth is in all of this, what happened to Nicholas?
na mattnawrocki
na Cowman
na Toke Za
na lo-fi
na TAYLOR-MANIA
na The_Serdar
na bizort
T7
Good story. Just feels like a really long episode of a police investigation show, though.
na kemackelis
na DavidBlast
T7
The story has such a rich tapestry of bizarre circumstances that the highly stylized way in which it is told becomes a terrible distraction. The overambitious cinematography betrays Layton's apparent lack of trust in the material, as he reaches for a 'Capturing the Friedmands' kind of openness towards the end. Haha. That final crane shot alone; what circus clowns the participants must have felt like.
na fenixdown
na konrad401
na beckot
na FunkyAstro
T8
Seriously? Only in Texas I suppose.
na erlichte
na nrm4
na ceyhun_mr
na Ryan Lueders
T8
A very cool documentary about a Texas family who welcomes a complete stranger into their home. A 23 year old French man pretends to be a teenage missing boy from Texas. His stories are elaborate and shocking. This is definitely a great movie to watch if you like unsolved mysteries or murder cases. The whole thing is done very well. My biggest complaint is that you have more questions than answers by the end. Just remember to look at people's ears, that's how you really tell who is who.
na holdingemail
na Cro$by
na Meta Critic
na lavmiyu
na cloak
T7
an incredible, unnerving, mysterious story. told with the grooming and near tonelessness that you might expect from this type of co-production documentary.
na Evan D
na robixsmash
na educhristoph
na frnk23
T9
love to know what happened. nice to hear from the people involved after hearing such an outlandish story. who to believe?
na manifold
na pstrauss
na pasnouma
na bown
T8
Bourdin is just an incredible character. His playful, smug retelling of the whole tale elevates the movie so much. Perhaps a little too dramatised and selective - they definitely deliberately picked parts where the family came off as stupid - but the movie's still tense as shit and legitimately unbelievable.
na ztay
na steekjelos
na tradingair
na grade4
na mentos81
na aylakadam
na mkellins
T6
Fairly interesting portrayal of an unbelievable story. To fully appreciate it don't read anything about the story beforehand.
na Kortee
T7
When I started to think everything that was there to see has been seen - here they were getting my attention again.
na MurphDick
na BaconDrew
na Gladstone
na getmoney
T8
The PI is awesome. Like out of a real gumshoe detective story.
na Kongald
na Enoki
na lauratron
na pisser
na forehead1
T9
Well-directed one-watch doc that fully immerses you in the story from beginning to end. Includes plenty of honest testimony from the main players, while successfully keeping you guessing about all of them. The re-enactment scenes are used sparingly and interspersed well too. 'The dig' was a bit of a tease though.
na honeycuttwc