Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
0 films ranked
The Imposter (2012)
Your Rating
500 characters left
Summary: A documentary centered on a young Frenchman who convinces a grieving Texas family that he is their 16-year-old son who went missing for 3 years. (imdb)
Country: UK, USA
Posted to your Facebook profile
Ratings
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na ceyhun_mr
na B.2
T9
Fascinating story, adeptly narrated.
na Littlepip
na beware
na boao
na Ric
T2
Made me feel a bit queasy, with not much cinematic reward to show for it
na DeadFox
na PaRaNoYa7
na The_Serdar
na DavidBlast
T7
The story has such a rich tapestry of bizarre circumstances that the highly stylized way in which it is told becomes a terrible distraction. The overambitious cinematography betrays Layton's apparent lack of trust in the material, as he reaches for a 'Capturing the Friedmands' kind of openness towards the end. Haha. That final crane shot alone; what circus clowns the participants must have felt like.
na justingrima
na sherlock1024
na bown
T8
Bourdin is just an incredible character. His playful, smug retelling of the whole tale elevates the movie so much. Perhaps a little too dramatised and selective - they definitely deliberately picked parts where the family came off as stupid - but the movie's still tense as shit and legitimately unbelievable.
na Allynhi
na CarsonWid
T8
It started very slowly and I just felt like everyone was trying to make themself seem awesome or at least not as stupid as they looked, but it built up to a very good ending and turned out to be quite interesting...if not for the story, then for the filmmaking
na Chukkamans
na Ag0stoMesmer
T10
This doc had a lot going on; FFSing at the authorities, entertaining eccentrics -Boss Hogg detective was ace, knots of trauma and delusion. Fascinating stuff.
na sagantyson
na al bundy
na cyhnqcl
na WalkenRoll
T7
Very interesting, and the re enactments don't take away from this true story. Great editing, but at times you'll question it...
na Holygrail2
na ibodirector
na lo-fi
na twincinema
na ventilaator
na Space Pope
T7
There are a few stylistic touches early on in the recreations of Bourdin's initiating the con that rubbed me the wrong way, but once we reach the point where "Nicholas" is "reunited" with "his" family, it becomes intensely gripping and at one point actually made me mutter "oh, what the fuuuuck" when certain implications were made - implications that, for a number of reasons, were not entirely expanded on. This whole case is completely bananas. Bonus points for 16 Horsepower's Wayfaring Stranger.
na AVclub
na chiphall72
na Corey M
na Bunken
T3
Yes, the story is extremely special, but besides some great editing I didn't find The Imposter very interesting. Seemed like an extended version of a weekly unsolved crime show...
na kerolayn
na AFlickering
T4
its manipulation is too transparent; my all-encompassing suspicion prevented me from falling into the trap of mirroring the family's confirmation bias (and feeling implicated by that final shot). linklater's superior 'bernie' forced me to adopt the town's perspective with an innocuous tone echoing bernie's homely, earnest charm; i didn't feel manipulated, so i wasn't suspicious. mcconaughey's disgust left me feeling chastened and unsettled. 'the imposter' just left me feeling smarter than it.
na mavrodief
na gokhanince
na K.Ozan
na emrah
na M.Robitussin
T6
i wasn't crazy about the reliance on reenactments but this was still a cool story.
na Mondarable
na balcis
na robbbbbie
na Ryan Lueders
T8
A very cool documentary about a Texas family who welcomes a complete stranger into their home. A 23 year old French man pretends to be a teenage missing boy from Texas. His stories are elaborate and shocking. This is definitely a great movie to watch if you like unsolved mysteries or murder cases. The whole thing is done very well. My biggest complaint is that you have more questions than answers by the end. Just remember to look at people's ears, that's how you really tell who is who.
na rickyafraid
na shanw
na wzw
na fzycow
na forehead1
T9
Well-directed one-watch doc that fully immerses you in the story from beginning to end. Includes plenty of honest testimony from the main players, while successfully keeping you guessing about all of them. The re-enactment scenes are used sparingly and interspersed well too. 'The dig' was a bit of a tease though.
na fhmc
na Booziesioux
na Tatsuya
na eeeli
na Jerky
na DesertPunk
T9
The Imposter is emotionally complex in such a disturbing way. Every time you form an opinion, it's changed in a second by one word or one image that feels like a punch in the face. This is how you make a documentary.
na Spunkie
na ferrvq
na ecem
na dtortum
T5
Hikaye cok cok guzel! Film biraz onun ekmegini yiyor sanki bi tik daha dusundurucu olabilirdi
na jkwall
na Yuma
na incisor
na KramYessev
T10
This is probably the closest a film has to come to "scaring" me since I realised that films aren't scary. The story itself is terrifying enough but it increases tenfold upon the realisation that this is an actual documentary (I went into this completely blind). Incredibly well made and a fascinating, nail-biting experience. One of this years best.
na OzGrenouille
na tinky
na Minxie
na FoxyRussian
T9
A fantastic documentary that has twist and turns. Sadly the ending is a little rushed (some of it for stylistic choices, others parts because I don't why...)
na jebus19
na dessaccades
na Movida
na thehynes
T5
Frédéric Bourdin seems like a truly vile man.As for the story - bizarre. Hard to know what to think.Poor Nicholas
na Shadrik
na guvolefou
na ZujGag
na undinum
T7
man, how awesome is that private eye? "THE EARS!!!"
na PaulSandell
na arif
na tom20
na felipelahm
T4
The hype is there, but The Imposter, since its very beginning, when the film is fastly rewinded after the introduction and a Discovery Channel-like dramatization is staged, feels like a documentary that is always attempting to overcome the interest on its main subject, a french con artist that manages to fool spanish policemen, the FBI and a family of a missing child and even accuse this same family or killing this kid when he realizes his cover is no longer believable. Tricky, but not bright.
na soybomb42
na Tova
na laika
na Eglaia
T8
Wow, I guess life IS stranger than fiction. What a compelling story, although I think the documentary might be slightly on the side of the imposter as in the end we see that he is a very, very deceiving person, we are not told of this until the very end and it makes you think of the family as murderers. Which they might be, but a documentary has to be more objective. Really well shot, edited and told story. A little bit mainstream but still a great watch.
na jnmovie
na anildemirhan
na peaceloveska
na EntertainMe
T8
My terrible first review (score: 40) "Completely wicked premise stretched painfully out to 90 minutes. Very well-shot B-footage. Probably could have worked better as a full-on dramatization, actually, and I rarely say that." Ugh
na getmoney
T8
The PI is awesome. Like out of a real gumshoe detective story.
na sunno