Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
currently at ...
the Forum Criticker MOM August 2014
the Blog Order Filmmaker List by ...
0 films ranked
Share Post to Facebook
Posted to your Facebook profile
Rank It
500 characters left
Summary: A documentary centered on a young Frenchman who convinces a grieving Texas family that he is their 16-year-old son who went missing for 3 years. (imdb)
Country: UK, USA
Directed By: Bart Layton
Additional Information & Actions
More information at IMDb
Ratings
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na ludvigsen
na K.Ozan
na KasperL
T9
Suspenseful and probably the most entertaining documentary I've seen. The narration held me in its grip throughout and there are some nice twists and turns. The denouement is less than amazing but the film, though it's hard to believe, is about real life events, after all. It's beyond insane that this really happened.
na schnofel
na Choni
na y.caliskan
na dtortum
T5
Hikaye cok cok guzel! Film biraz onun ekmegini yiyor sanki bi tik daha dusundurucu olabilirdi
na zevel6
na Mondarable
na JJ1986
na Obdurate
T10
Knowing nothing about the real case I didn't know what to expect. I liked the premise and wanted to see what came from it. Turns out this is a pretty complex docu-thriller, and not what I thought at all. It draws you into the world of a pathological liar/identity theft, goes from being a gripping tale of a family and loss to a true-crime movie. Like his identity, you're left wondering what the truth is in all of this, what happened to Nicholas?
na undinum
T7
man, how awesome is that private eye? "THE EARS!!!"
na ctavares
na TMDaines
na dougsiu
na kakivsjok
na Wezzo
T9
Absolutely mesmerising from start to finish, The Imposter plays out stunningly, yet inevitably.
na CHOICECOD
na jnmovie
na Holygrail2
na PotemkinFC
na pmcatra
na Moribunny
T8
Fascinating on several levels.
na Abraham
na jjack229
na kkarsan
na WalkenRoll
T7
Very interesting, and the re enactments don't take away from this true story. Great editing, but at times you'll question it...
na jcs
na beware
na guvolefou
na td888
T7
Life is stranger than fiction. I don't want to give out spoilers, but the way the ending is edited had me sitting at the edge of my seat... All in all a fascinating watch and kudos for all the people involved to cooperate with the making of this documentary.
na Kekton
na Achk
na aa6264a
na PeaceAnarchy
T9
This is an example of a fantastic and unbelievable story given just the right treatment. The film doesn't heighten the drama or play manipulative games, but it does turn an already strange story about a man pretending to be an abducted teenager into something even stranger. The main players are sympathetic but also a bit dubious and there's always a hook pushing you towards the next revelation.
na Mattam
na Guernica
na scanscalan
na nikolajrh
na KMcNeil
na freakazoid
na d_drudges
T5
Not really a documentary at all, The Imposter is more of a fictionalized movie supposedly based on a true story. The subject is interesting, but the decision to obfuscate the line between real and "dramatized" footage and leave the audience no way of knowing what is actually true makes the film a farce.
na Hölle
na jbyn
na Astralgod
na 35mm
na dsjoerdsma
na axleblaze
T8
A chilling and baffling film.
na DLawrence
na delgado
na stimes19
na stoickov
na Yuma
na FoxyRussian
T9
A fantastic documentary that has twist and turns. Sadly the ending is a little rushed (some of it for stylistic choices, others parts because I don't why...)
na Pingy
na TJinAustin
na ok292
na jbourne84
na Chukkamans
na tinysausage
T4
Impeccably edited account of a remarkable tale. I did feel a bit cheated though: you wonder how the filmmaker is going to resolve the burning question of why the family embraced this man, and Layton hints at a sinister reason, but in the end doesn't follow through. Strangely, the pathological liar at the centre of this story comes across as the most believable character.
na elikfrom
na doomy1986
na adamreid1
na B.2
T9
Fascinating story, adeptly narrated.
na fahasch
na myfavchords
T8
This is a really interesting documentary. The film is interesting the entire way and it raises several interesting questions. Unfortunately the film leaves you wanting to known what happened to one person at the end but because it is based on real events we do not know what actually happened. I definitely recommend this well made documentary.
na ifragment
na thefriedone
na IrishCassidy
na bown
T8
Bourdin is just an incredible character. His playful, smug retelling of the whole tale elevates the movie so much. Perhaps a little too dramatised and selective - they definitely deliberately picked parts where the family came off as stupid - but the movie's still tense as shit and legitimately unbelievable.
na von krogh
na ichibansan
na getmoney
T8
The PI is awesome. Like out of a real gumshoe detective story.
na DallasSD
na Minxie
na pain20040
na anonconmatt
na Ag0stoMesmer
T10
This doc had a lot going on; FFSing at the authorities, entertaining eccentrics -Boss Hogg detective was ace, knots of trauma and delusion. Fascinating stuff.
na geeenuh
na Daffy6964
na frnk23
T9
love to know what happened. nice to hear from the people involved after hearing such an outlandish story. who to believe?
na CarsonWid
T8
It started very slowly and I just felt like everyone was trying to make themself seem awesome or at least not as stupid as they looked, but it built up to a very good ending and turned out to be quite interesting...if not for the story, then for the filmmaking
na mrkacmaz
T1
na dr. radical
na thehynes
T5
Frédéric Bourdin seems like a truly vile man.As for the story - bizarre. Hard to know what to think.Poor Nicholas
na emrah
na brandonpcv
na Emmcooke
na Kortee
T7
When I started to think everything that was there to see has been seen - here they were getting my attention again.
na anselmo
na fdurgan
na alik
na damil
T9
It ended up being a whole lot more interesting and messed up than I anticipated. I enjoyed watching it a lot. It was very compelling and even nerve-wracking. It’s a pretty insane story, and it’s hard to believe it’s true. The film was very well-made, with great editing and effective use of dramatisations. I definitely recommend this.
na kyle.loomis
na akjn
na drummerx357
na caiman
T2
I went into this with some misconceptions. For whatever reason I was expecting a much more intelligent, eerie depiction of a strange crime, with perhaps a touch of Exit Through the Gift Shop style meta-reality. But that's not what this is; rather it's a fairly generic crime story that you'd be likely to see on prime time TV. True the polished style sets it beyond that stylistically, but the level of involvement I felt was nothing greater than that of a 15 minute Dateline NBC story.
na bmmello
na Maruf Merru
na djemba
na Pursus
T2
This is a "truth is stranger than fiction" doc that is legit in the beginning. Midway through, it makes some bold allegations. Then, due to the editing of the final scene with the P.I. it effectively ends on a cliffhanger. I'm not really cool with a documentary that presents things like that. If it's a fictional movie, fine, but if you are making a legitimate documentary you have a responsibility to present the facts even if they don't support your allegations or aren't as entertaining.
na cangogs
na redfrost
na mkellins
T6
Fairly interesting portrayal of an unbelievable story. To fully appreciate it don't read anything about the story beforehand.
na beast