Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
currently at ...
the Forum Impersonation False Id...
the Blog New Enhancement Film Typ...
0 films ranked
Post to Facebook
Posted to your Facebook profile
Rank It
500 characters left
Summary: A documentary centered on a young Frenchman who convinces a grieving Texas family that he is their 16-year-old son who went missing for 3 years. (imdb)
Country: UK, USA
Directed By: Bart Layton
Additional Information & Actions
More information at IMDb
Ratings
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na creck
na dforman
na ConradGamma
na Quimbo
T9
Unbelievable... there is almost definitely more to this story, and it's frustrating that the truth has never come out.
na jspidah
na DavidBlast
T7
The story has such a rich tapestry of bizarre circumstances that the highly stylized way in which it is told becomes a terrible distraction. The overambitious cinematography betrays Layton's apparent lack of trust in the material, as he reaches for a 'Capturing the Friedmands' kind of openness towards the end. Haha. That final crane shot alone; what circus clowns the participants must have felt like.
na spudding
T3
Mildly interesting. Many may like it but for me it should have been a real documentary. No much more to say about it. I will recommend watching if you are into psychology and thrillers at the same time.
na muratkrks
na damlaergan
na annie
na Kongald
na undinum
T7
man, how awesome is that private eye? "THE EARS!!!"
na panchovilla
na Videodromsim
na kdove
na Inquisitor
T1
na zenmovie
T10
Drama and suspense that Hollywood would pay millions for - and it's all a true story. Edge-of-your-seat fascinating.
na LesterGroans
na JooJoo
na Corey M
na PeaceAnarchy
T9
This is an example of a fantastic and unbelievable story given just the right treatment. The film doesn't heighten the drama or play manipulative games, but it does turn an already strange story about a man pretending to be an abducted teenager into something even stranger. The main players are sympathetic but also a bit dubious and there's always a hook pushing you towards the next revelation.
na lawngreen
na dequinix
na zurnzurn
na CarsonWid
T8
It started very slowly and I just felt like everyone was trying to make themself seem awesome or at least not as stupid as they looked, but it built up to a very good ending and turned out to be quite interesting...if not for the story, then for the filmmaking
na denial
na grodrig1
na blahzor
na WalkenRoll
T7
Very interesting, and the re enactments don't take away from this true story. Great editing, but at times you'll question it...
na harlingtoxad
na myfavchords
T8
This is a really interesting documentary. The film is interesting the entire way and it raises several interesting questions. Unfortunately the film leaves you wanting to known what happened to one person at the end but because it is based on real events we do not know what actually happened. I definitely recommend this well made documentary.
na DesertPunk
T9
The Imposter is emotionally complex in such a disturbing way. Every time you form an opinion, it's changed in a second by one word or one image that feels like a punch in the face. This is how you make a documentary.
na bones_r
na pisser
na soraxtm
na Jazzaloha
T2
Maybe I'm missing something, but it basically seemed like a typical episode of Unsolved Mysteries. The film could have benefited from exploring what made some one of the central characters tick; the fact that there is little information and clues at the end of the film also disappointed me(predicated score: 72)
na Merc
na Booziesioux
na bellafilm
na Telemecus
T9
Tedious at first - only got interesting with the second crime possibility.
na Abraham
na mavrodief
na nocebo
na Achk
na Rocko
na peaceloveska
na dtortum
T5
Hikaye cok cok guzel! Film biraz onun ekmegini yiyor sanki bi tik daha dusundurucu olabilirdi
na anselmo
na megikiara
na FunkyAstro
T7
Seriously? Only in Texas I suppose.
na Gaile
na Josh Forrest
na Gladstone
na SlantMag
T7
"The film shrewdly opts not to proffer its own hypothesis about the true reasons behind the Gibson family buying Frédéric Bourdin's story." - Nick Schager
na JaclynMarie
na gemma2809
na beware
na Eglaia
T7
Wow, I guess life IS stranger than fiction. What a compelling story, although I think the documentary might be slightly on the side of the imposter as in the end we see that he is a very, very deceiving person, we are not told of this until the very end and it makes you think of the family as murderers. Which they might be, but a documentary has to be more objective. Really well shot, edited and told story. A little bit mainstream but still a great watch.
na Johnny6Gun
na laika
na JimmyLeresky
na Chukkamans
na AlleyLights2
na podger13
na axleblaze
T8
A chilling and baffling film.
na doctorjay
na frnk23
T9
love to know what happened. nice to hear from the people involved after hearing such an outlandish story. who to believe?
na fenixdown
na hattrik
na Kianoto
na djemba
na cloque
na NRM03
na B.2
T9
Fascinating story, adeptly narrated.
na Iwantham
na Daffy6964
na mrkacmaz
na EntertainMe
T3
Completely wicked premise stretched painfully out to 90 minutes. Very well-shot B-footage. Probably could have worked better as a full-on dramatization, actually, and I rarely say that.
na kemackelis
na mrmrulus
na Jerky
na ldsix
na xAvengedKx
na forehead1
T9
Well-directed one-watch doc that fully immerses you in the story from beginning to end. Includes plenty of honest testimony from the main players, while successfully keeping you guessing about all of them. The re-enactment scenes are used sparingly and interspersed well too. 'The dig' was a bit of a tease though.
na cbaarck
na hellboy76
na Serok Sartre
na Wezzo
T9
Absolutely mesmerising from start to finish, The Imposter plays out stunningly, yet inevitably.
na cdalepirate
na caiman
T2
I went into this with some misconceptions. For whatever reason I was expecting a much more intelligent, eerie depiction of a strange crime, with perhaps a touch of Exit Through the Gift Shop style meta-reality. But that's not what this is; rather it's a fairly generic crime story that you'd be likely to see on prime time TV. True the polished style sets it beyond that stylistically, but the level of involvement I felt was nothing greater than that of a 15 minute Dateline NBC story.
na AKS
na dr. radical
na jonjj7
na bizort
T7
Good story. Just feels like a really long episode of a police investigation show, though.
na nikolajrh
na fzycow
na jeff_v
na Ag0stoMesmer
T10
This doc had a lot going on; FFSing at the authorities, entertaining eccentrics -Boss Hogg detective was ace, knots of trauma and delusion. Fascinating stuff.
na b4con
na boao
na ckirkman
na Henrik
T8
Love the way the film takes color entirely from its lying-his-ass-off subject. By the end of the film we are just as confused as the police, judges and other authorities must have been.
na ecem
na twincinema
na turgay
na mkellins
T6
Fairly interesting portrayal of an unbelievable story. To fully appreciate it don't read anything about the story beforehand.
na twhitcomb91
na mamadoly
na MentalCritic
na Ryan Lueders
T8
A very cool documentary about a Texas family who welcomes a complete stranger into their home. A 23 year old French man pretends to be a teenage missing boy from Texas. His stories are elaborate and shocking. This is definitely a great movie to watch if you like unsolved mysteries or murder cases. The whole thing is done very well. My biggest complaint is that you have more questions than answers by the end. Just remember to look at people's ears, that's how you really tell who is who.
na anonconmatt
na jetboy
na notsothinman
na damil
T9
It ended up being a whole lot more interesting and messed up than I anticipated. I enjoyed watching it a lot. It was very compelling and even nerve-wracking. It’s a pretty insane story, and it’s hard to believe it’s true. The film was very well-made, with great editing and effective use of dramatisations. I definitely recommend this.
na Gsaelzbaerle
na Moribunny
T8
Fascinating on several levels.
na HobbesZ
na cambel
na ruben88
na FiratCelebi
na begoniabol
T9
Truly fascinating and blew my mind. Seems like a movie, but it really happened. Knew nothing about it, so if you don't, check it out. It's unbelievable
na OziiX
na Meta Critic
na skamac
na rannydoscoe
na lo-fi
na AlexanderMG
na AFlickering
T4
its manipulation is too transparent; my all-encompassing suspicion prevented me from falling into the trap of mirroring the family's confirmation bias (and feeling implicated by that final shot). linklater's superior 'bernie' forced me to adopt the town's perspective with an innocuous tone echoing bernie's homely, earnest charm; i didn't feel manipulated, so i wasn't suspicious. mcconaughey's disgust left me feeling chastened and unsettled. 'the imposter' just left me feeling smarter than it.
na faruksongur
na VerticalGunn
na dougsiu
na buak
T5
Agustos 2013, Cesme & Filmin sonlarina dogru hissedilen gerilimli atmosferinin etkileyici oldugunu dusunuyorum. Bunu vermek konusunda basarili bir is. Lakin bundan ote de bir deger tasimiyor. Tortum'un dedigi gibi; hikaye guzel ve film de biraz onun ekmegini yiyor gibi.
na sg31873