Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
currently at ...
the Forum HerLA vs ShanghaiUS vs ...
the Blog Order Filmmaker List by ...
0 films ranked
Share Post to Facebook
Posted to your Facebook profile
Rank It
500 characters left
Summary: A documentary centered on a young Frenchman who convinces a grieving Texas family that he is their 16-year-old son who went missing for 3 years. (imdb)
Country: UK, USA
Directed By: Bart Layton
Additional Information & Actions
More information at IMDb
Ratings
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na BoywithDog
na toytronicaz
na aney
T6
A truly mindblowing story. For the most part it is handled the way it should be, but the ending could have been better.
na soybomb42
na woods
na Mattam
na psim
na axleblaze
T8
A chilling and baffling film.
na Blachut
na filmcave
na John Castro
na eeeli
na gam01
na Ryan Lueders
T8
A very cool documentary about a Texas family who welcomes a complete stranger into their home. A 23 year old French man pretends to be a teenage missing boy from Texas. His stories are elaborate and shocking. This is definitely a great movie to watch if you like unsolved mysteries or murder cases. The whole thing is done very well. My biggest complaint is that you have more questions than answers by the end. Just remember to look at people's ears, that's how you really tell who is who.
na alik
na michaels
na dsjoerdsma
na d_drudges
T5
Not really a documentary at all, The Imposter is more of a fictionalized movie supposedly based on a true story. The subject is interesting, but the decision to obfuscate the line between real and "dramatized" footage and leave the audience no way of knowing what is actually true makes the film a farce.
na beast
na cmkrt
na FiratCelebi
na getmoney
T8
The PI is awesome. Like out of a real gumshoe detective story.
na jnmovie
na Drakula
na roonay3k
na chemical404
T8
DON'T READ ANYTHING ABOUT THIS FILM BEFORE WATCHING IT. This is really good life-stranger-than-fiction documentary that never ceases to surprise you. Somewhat similar to last years Catfish it sports a different, more serious tone and style. In the end, it doesn't go beyond interesting story well told, but there aren't too made of those to look this film over.
na aylakadam
na Zygrunte
na constantine
na Cro$by
na Henrik
T8
Love the way the film takes color entirely from its lying-his-ass-off subject. By the end of the film we are just as confused as the police, judges and other authorities must have been.
na jcs
na Kortee
T7
When I started to think everything that was there to see has been seen - here they were getting my attention again.
na MentalCritic
na PotemkinFC
na woofat
na KramYessev
T10
This is probably the closest a film has to come to "scaring" me since I realised that films aren't scary. The story itself is terrifying enough but it increases tenfold upon the realisation that this is an actual documentary (I went into this completely blind). Incredibly well made and a fascinating, nail-biting experience. One of this years best.
na jbyn
na FreddieQuell
na Bojangles
na FoxyRussian
T9
A fantastic documentary that has twist and turns. Sadly the ending is a little rushed (some of it for stylistic choices, others parts because I don't why...)
na esayar
na estragon
na educhristoph
na ZombieBuffet
na rumbleduke
na felipelahm
T4
The hype is there, but The Imposter, since its very beginning, when the film is fastly rewinded after the introduction and a Discovery Channel-like dramatization is staged, feels like a documentary that is always attempting to overcome the interest on its main subject, a french con artist that manages to fool spanish policemen, the FBI and a family of a missing child and even accuse this same family or killing this kid when he realizes his cover is no longer believable. Tricky, but not bright.
na PaulSandell
na bridgeferr
na Nygaard
na AFlickering
T4
its manipulation is too transparent; my all-encompassing suspicion prevented me from falling into the trap of mirroring the family's confirmation bias (and feeling implicated by that final shot). linklater's superior 'bernie' forced me to adopt the town's perspective with an innocuous tone echoing bernie's homely, earnest charm; i didn't feel manipulated, so i wasn't suspicious. mcconaughey's disgust left me feeling chastened and unsettled. 'the imposter' just left me feeling smarter than it.
na ahmetsena
na johnatanjj
na thewire
na dforman
na ibodirector
na future42
na homosuperior
T8
This fascinating account of how a 23-year old French scam artist, Frederic Bourdin, impersonated a missing 16-year old boy from Texas, going so far as to be accepted by the boy's family, moving in with them but finally being made by a private investigator and an initially clueless FBI agent, has all kinds of things to suggest about identity, grief, the presentation of self, deception and self-deception, guilt and survival, mostly of the American kind. Recommended.
na Ag0stoMesmer
T10
This doc had a lot going on; FFSing at the authorities, entertaining eccentrics -Boss Hogg detective was ace, knots of trauma and delusion. Fascinating stuff.
na danieu
na donofthedead
na ladymcdeath
na Space Pope
T7
There are a few stylistic touches early on in the recreations of Bourdin's initiating the con that rubbed me the wrong way, but once we reach the point where "Nicholas" is "reunited" with "his" family, it becomes intensely gripping and at one point actually made me mutter "oh, what the fuuuuck" when certain implications were made - implications that, for a number of reasons, were not entirely expanded on. This whole case is completely bananas. Bonus points for 16 Horsepower's Wayfaring Stranger.
na Strangeluv
na x@nder
na lo-fi
na barsch
na ifragment
na Faceplant
na myfavchords
T8
This is a really interesting documentary. The film is interesting the entire way and it raises several interesting questions. Unfortunately the film leaves you wanting to known what happened to one person at the end but because it is based on real events we do not know what actually happened. I definitely recommend this well made documentary.
na thinkalot
na Kerc
na SunMonkey
na buak
T5
Agustos 2013, Cesme & Filmin sonlarina dogru hissedilen gerilimli atmosferinin etkileyici oldugunu dusunuyorum. Bunu vermek konusunda basarili bir is. Lakin bundan ote de bir deger tasimiyor. Tortum'un dedigi gibi; hikaye guzel ve film de biraz onun ekmegini yiyor gibi.
na blueriddle
na kkarsan
na kemackelis
na rainingest
na Kianoto
na spudding
T3
Mildly interesting. Many may like it but for me it should have been a real documentary. No much more to say about it. I will recommend watching if you are into psychology and thrillers at the same time.
na EntertainMe
T3
Completely wicked premise stretched painfully out to 90 minutes. Very well-shot B-footage. Probably could have worked better as a full-on dramatization, actually, and I rarely say that.
na whotemp
na blahzor
na fenixdown
na cloak
T7
an incredible, unnerving, mysterious story. told with the grooming and near tonelessness that you might expect from this type of co-production documentary.
na incisor
na parmesan
na DLawrence
na Eglaia
T7
Wow, I guess life IS stranger than fiction. What a compelling story, although I think the documentary might be slightly on the side of the imposter as in the end we see that he is a very, very deceiving person, we are not told of this until the very end and it makes you think of the family as murderers. Which they might be, but a documentary has to be more objective. Really well shot, edited and told story. A little bit mainstream but still a great watch.
na Kongald
na Amadeus
na y.caliskan
na KasperL
T9
Suspenseful and probably the most entertaining documentary I've seen. The narration held me in its grip throughout and there are some nice twists and turns. The denouement is less than amazing but the film, though it's hard to believe, is about real life events, after all. It's beyond insane that this really happened.
na ludvigsen
na akjn
na dougsiu
na frnk23
T9
love to know what happened. nice to hear from the people involved after hearing such an outlandish story. who to believe?
na sonique
na b4con
na FrankHowley
na zenmovie
T10
Drama and suspense that Hollywood would pay millions for - and it's all a true story. Edge-of-your-seat fascinating.
na robotkarate
na shaphappy
na jphilade
na tinysausage
T4
Impeccably edited account of a remarkable tale. I did feel a bit cheated though: you wonder how the filmmaker is going to resolve the burning question of why the family embraced this man, and Layton hints at a sinister reason, but in the end doesn't follow through. Strangely, the pathological liar at the centre of this story comes across as the most believable character.
na K.Ozan
na zevel6
na Halfman
na td888
T7
Life is stranger than fiction. I don't want to give out spoilers, but the way the ending is edited had me sitting at the edge of my seat... All in all a fascinating watch and kudos for all the people involved to cooperate with the making of this documentary.
na mattnawrocki