Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
profile
The Puffy Chair (2005)
Your Rating
500 characters left
Summary: The story of three very different people and a giant purple puffy chair in a too-small van. -- and one of them has to go before the trip's end. (Roadside Attraction)
Genre: Comedy
Country: USA
Additional Information & Actions
More information at IMDb
Invalid Trailer
If you'd like, provide a new one!
Ratings
loading Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na schizotoast schizotoast
na Matthew Matthew
na sandri sandri
na pzingg
na Drumpie
na SlantMag SlantMag
T7
"The film never quite strikes a comfortable or graceful balance between silliness and solemnity." - Nick Schager
na hypnotoad1
na amerigo amerigo
na ScrumYummy
na Moribunny Moribunny
T8
One of the more effective "mumblecore" films, The Puffy Chair is a no-budget independent effort that relies on genuinely interesting characters in realistic and interesting situations. Co-director Mark Duplass plays the lead, a conniving douchebag who is somehow sympathetic.
na kastenm kastenm
na gargantua gargantua
na ari
na Ytadel Ytadel
T8
The minimal production values are overcome by three really strong leading performances and a tone that hews so closely to real life that I was totally drawn in. The emotional impact of certain scenes was downright visceral.
na mercer
na Exidor
na SirStuckey SirStuckey
T7
"No budget, no problem. Instead we'll create simple stories that border on absurd and yet feel incredibly realistic because we create meaningful characters that everyone can relate to in some way." - The Duplass Brothers to Hollywood
na Vmfs
na mallamp
na paulstomb
na sebby sebby
T5
The hippie brother is such a dipshit. Damn it, I hate hippies so much. Duplass is such a dude, wants his cake and to eat it, too (his g/f, she sucks ass, is the cake in this metaphor, by the way), and goes Rambo on two different dudes for fucking with his chair. Really great stuff. Man, the g/f sucks so much. Total nightmare witch, inviting herself onto the man-trip and then stirring up crazy shit. Witch Brew. But Duplass is such a dude he's like, "You can come and we'll fuck, but that's that."
na forehead1
T3
A guy, his girlfriend and his brother drive cross-country to pick up an armchair, running into a couple of bumps along the way. Towards the end there are two or three very good discussions on the subject of marriage/relationships, but too many pointless scenes throughout (mainly involving the hippy brother) add nothing and just take up valuable time in such a short film. Having never seen Duplass acting before, I was impressed by his performance in this.
na moviefreak moviefreak
na salty_dog salty dog
na chbbread
na mattorama12 mattorama12
T5
Shows a mastery of tone that's rare among first time filmmakers. The characters are all interesting and well-layered. The horribly annoying camera (evoking The Office) and lackadaisical plot really keep this from being something I could really into though.
na Kauf
na nminichino nminichino
na joshpatton joshpatton
na Riptide0 Riptide0
T7
This a movie too good for me to have almost forgotten it. Very funny and insightful as three people try to do just one thing together and end up getting in each other's way. Very much worth a watch.
na Deaths
na freeipods freeipods
na pascally
na DesertPunk DesertPunk
T9
There's something about the story of The Puffy Chair that hits a really hard chord in me, and I'm not even sure why. Way more effective than you'd think.
na mightysparks mightysparks
na sidehacker sidehacker
na nateamill
na Jazzaloha
T7
Mark Duplass' film persona is not necessarily likable, but I can't deny that he is funny. Rhett Atkins is also pretty funny in this. The story is not so great, but there some good comedic moments.
na Baby Sloth
na Learntoread
na WillsW0rld WillsW0rld
T3
I love the Duplass style, but the plot of the film just wasn't cutting it for me.
na dooooooley
na JGH JGH
na OhYes OhYes
na JohnSandwich JohnSandwich
T8
I liked it. The hippie brother character and the actor playing him was quite annoying. Other than that, yeah, pretty good.
na chrisssslim chrisssslim
na teckgecko teckgecko
na donquixotic
na theScud
na tinysausage tinysausage
T4
A pretty good script - some of the relationship dynamics really rang true. But come on Duplass Bros. - you're filmmakers, learn how to focus a camera already.
na demirtas
na Meta_Critic Meta Critic
na abouthil
na bob thrillin
T1
This is an amalgam of every quirky, post-Wes Anderson indie dramedy cliche imaginable.
na LadyBird LadyBird
na Mohko Mohko
T8
Fun little indie drama-comedy. At times the charactes feel a bit too caricature like but the cast has an awesome chemistry between them. Also Mark Duplass is just always a joy to watch.
na Pickpocket Pickpocket
na chaw
na dezzic10
na closedmouth closedmouth
T9
Maybe it's because I've been watching The League lately and consequently find Mark and Katie immediately likeable, but I thought this was a compelling, beautiful, complex depiction of a real, messy relationship, and relationships in general. Far from being plotless, it uses the MacGuffins of the road trip and the titular chair to tell a series of short stories illustrating the fascinating flaws of these complex characters. Even the lame ending with all its false catharsis seems appropriate.
na spookyjon
na kxlly kxlly
na Pyromancer
na bookhouseboy bookhouseboy
T9
Duplass-Brothers feature debut is a road trip on a shoestring budget, and we're following two brothers and a girl on a funny,charming and emotional journey; a slice of life that's realistic and relatable thanks to the screenplay and good performances from the lead trio, especially Katie.A is impressive. *Preview*: #12#, exp-3*, story, reviews, writers-directors Duplass'/1, Katie.A/6, M.Duplass/4, R4.
na Cherish Cherish
na writerish
na Paracosm Paracosm
na Slvbarek Actionberg
T7
I can't really speak to the film's role in the Mumblecore movement because I still don't get exactly what separates it from a lot of American independent cinema dating back several decades, but overall I thought it was pretty good. It establishes this kind of intimacy with the main relationship that makes it hard to not get emotionally involved. The ending was its most superb moment, one that really rings true to life with its frankness.
na lotr23 lotr23
na IMDb_byvotes IMDb-byvotes
na bobdigi
na jack_parsons jack parsons
T8
It is really inspiring seeing a movie that doesn't rely on cinematography, especially for guys trying to create no budget films. This was just fantastic writing and GREAT performances. The Duplass brothers know how to write, direct, and act. An incredibly talented duo!
na kangadoodoo kangadoodoo