Criticker.com - Film Recommendations and Community
currently at ...
the Forum XMen Origins Wolverine ...
the Blog New Enhancement Film Typ...
0 films ranked
You Explore Interact Resources
Search
Profile All Your Rankings Starred Reviews Your Best TCIs PSIs Kumpels Wishlist
Random Film
The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978)
TV Movie Post to Facebook
Posted to your Facebook profile
Rank It
500 characters left
Summary: Chewie and Han Solo are trying to get home to Chewie's family, so they can celebrate Lifeday. (imdb)
Country: USA
Additional Information & Actions
More information at IMDb
Ratings
Loading Products from Amazon and Ebay
Show:All Rankings | With Reviews
Order by:TCI | Tier | Date Ranked | # Stars (Reviews)
TCI User Score
na oisteing
T9
na youtellme93
T1
This movie should be used to interrogate prisoners, it's that bad. I managed 25 minutes before I decided I'd rather watch paint dry. How in the world did the cast manage to act through those lines? Shooting that must have been awful.
na pomattovich
na annaud
na nausic
na boredom
na Evolution
T1
If I had the same people and sets etc. to work with I couldn't have made a film worse than this if I tried.
na Detonathor
T1
On one hand, it needs to be seen to be believed...but then you can't unsee it.
na RealMacgyver
na fenixdown
na admiralmpj
na marsnoir
T1
So bad, its good! Watch it with the commercials, to bring you back to a time when 'Made in the USA' meant for something.
na Pingy
na cantaloupe
na gimli999
na VengefulKBM
T1
Do not watch it. Even out of curiosity. If you MUST, look up the Bea Arthur segment on YouTube, watch that, and pretend the rest of the movie is anywhere near as good.
na ME_Criticker
na terrymac
na chiefg
na FrederikA
T1
When I heard about it, I said "that's so dumb I need to see it". When I was 3 minutes into it, I shouted "Holy shit this is hilarious!" When I'd watched appx 20 minutes of un-subtitled wookie sit-com cross-cut with terrible 70s music-videos I found myself with shotgun barrel in my mouth...
na mikecoolest
na fuzzleshnops
T1
This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. If I could give it a negative score, I would.
na riseoffall
na sirperry
T9
na okayfrog
T1
I don't want to give a film a "0" score when there are 101 possible scores on the spectrum, but I really can't think of a single redeeming quality to The Star Wars Holiday Special. It does have all your favorite Star Wars characters and they all do absolutely nothing. I really wonder how the segments in this film were written. Is it possible for anybody to find this entertaining?
na kurenai
na shahness
na podaddy
na Cerebrus
na Cahadras1
na Rotten Users
na Johnny6Gun
T1
Almost as bad as Episode II, but at least it has Harrison Ford in it. Oh yeah, Lumpy's in it, too. Everyone loves Lumpy.
na Hailey
na imdb
na Tyomega
na ripvf
na Schismchasm
na x-human
T1
Carrie Fisher wasn't the only one strung out on cocaine during the making of this. It was certainly widely administered just to get the crew though the shoot. Should have been provided to the audience as well. Lucas slapped the Star Wars logo on everything else, why not on cocaine? [Rifftrax can't even save this one. While there is the occasional funny quip it's mostly just them whining about how bad it all is. They also break into giggle fits far too often. Avoid if you can help it.]
na pjalne
na walmarket
ITS SO BAD!!!
na mhcj
na Ununnilium
na Invi
na bellamyr
T1
Forget the Sith Lords - this is guaranteed to make anyone turn to the dark side!
na jcdracula
na damil
na Barkinson
na grubi
na mathiascz
T1
Nothing to say! I leave it without any comment! It cost me two bottles of whiskey.
na maddog
T1
You watch it with someone to make fun of it because it's so bad. It has no other value... just don't underestimate sitting down to make fun of it.
na Travisbickle
na wavex
na CRB9000
na DMCrimson
T1
My God...it's full of stars...
na beckett
na drslacker
na Astfgl
T3
Worth watching just to say you've seen it.
na XakkMaster
T1
For completists only. This had to have been created as something else entirely and only had Star Wars slapped on it because of the Box Office success of the first movie. The characters don't have any resemblance to characters in the Star Wars universe, other than physically. For the first 15-20 minutes you might find it "so bad it's hilarious," especially if you're watching it with a group, but before the half-way point (save for the cartoon) it becomes un-watchable and tedious beyond belief.
na Darbicus
na Nathan S
lmao
na dmarques
T1
I survived the star wars holiday special and all i got was this lousy brain tumor.
na fizzy
na janus
T5
Hardly unwatchable. Y'all're fuckin' pussies, apparently. As far as '70s TV variety shows go it's not even that bad. Regardless of intent, it humanizes people and things that can seem elevated and distant, like that photo of Barack Obama smoking a joint, or those creepy James Joyce love letters. On most days I'd rather throw this on than any of the prequels.
na Jorbes
na frankswild
na mwgerb
T1
Like any great sci-fi, this film asks the audience questions. Unfortunately in this case, they're questions like: What did I just watch? Why does Chewbacca's family have so much random technology? Why are they named Itchy and Lumpy? Why are there rock bands in the Star Wars universe? Can acting be more half-assed? Why does Chewbacca's dad have an orange singing girl fetish? Who do I blame for this crime against humanity?
na jxc0207
na Bailey74
na TheAlliance
T1
I saved myself a lot of agony by watching the YouTube-5-minutes-version. Well, what is there to say... Chewy was amazing as always.
na FallFoliage
na onrv
na Wesfx
na Korsoh
na ArkadyFalls
na ShitHappens
T1
um question....Why is there no Wookie translator....and 99.9% of it is...Wookies?
na msweller
na micmac•
na warrensm
na Dimentia
T1
WHAT THE HELL GEORGE LUCAS. WHAT THE HELL.
na Capn Kue Que
na Darken Skye
na Ross
na redpatriot
T1
The actual "special" is pretty horrible, but the cartoon is actually really good. But man... Bea Arthur sings.. and Leia sings... and various wookies jump around and do household chores... this was REAL bad.
na Gusx1
na Baelara
na DrewTheDude
T2
Nothing will be more beautiful than a bunch of heavenly Wookies!
na darthfrede
na doctor7
T1
An obvious cash in of the worst possible type. It's just literally mind bending how anyone thought this was a good idea. It's so awfully out of character for every single Star Wars character involved. I honestly can't believe that this actually exists, let alone that I've seen it. Pure embarrassment for all involved I think is the only way to describe it. They should've just gone the full nine and had Vader give a round of high fives and knuckles to everyone.
na nogs
na amecylia
na OMGFridge
T1
Fuck you curiosity! Its worse than abysmal.
na Vandelay1
na Nearphotison
T1
One point for Boba Fett's debut, four for Bea Arthur.
na El Guapo
na Sheldrake
na gogokain
T1
I got a bad feeling about this...
na ninjamonkey
na tyoda
na jrs71991
na Jake_R
na psych0naut
na RandallODim
T1
Watch it with friends and you might be able to deal, but it's just too interminably long to sit through alone.
na Cronos
na nickabc
na jimmynmu
na CosmicMonkey
T1
"Abysmal"? "Horrendous"? "Painful"? The English language simply lacks the vocabulary to accurately and precisely describe how soul-crushingly awful this film is. I think I'll weep and cry in a corner now.
na emtilt
na SteveAston
na jksterup
na DavidBlast
T1
I can't quite decide if this was a worse addition to the STAR WARS saga than the "Midiclorian" revelation in Episode one. Hm.. Right. let's stay positive here: The STAR WARS Holiday Special has ... uh.. no JarJar Binks. It does, however, have wookie families and.. singing... I think what I'm trying to say is that this is the movie equivalent of cancer.
na lapierre520
na rottentomat
na dirtyfilthy
na arsenmm
na erikasterup
na Kusanagi
na supergloo
T1
Arguably, positive proof that all the success George Lucas had with Star Wars was pure luck.
na vlqwo
Hilarious
na Sagremore
na normalman
T1
This counts as a movie? Yikes. Anyway, the stories you've heard about this being the most horrible thing ever and embarrassing even by Star Wars standards? It's true. All of it. It's true.
na kingofjew
na Bravopunk
na Komond
T1
George Lucas said: "If I had the time and a sledgehammer, I would track down every bootlegged copy of that program and smash it." That's exactly the same thing that proves it's a shit, and the same thing that will make any ill person have a morbid need to watch it, just to finally regret of being a curious human being.
na Rolad
T2
The animated sequence makes this worth watching.
na juanpsala
na nickwin_dk
na KasperL
T1
Definitely not one of those "so bad it's good"-type films - it's immeasurably worse! Truly beyond painful to watch. Don't do it. Don't even consider it. (Ever.)
na moeru
na Bagger
What is even the hell?
na RNG
na Omega
na Derekstar
T1
I....Wha-.... I mean, ask 10 people what the strangest part of the Star Wars Holiday Special is and you may get 10 different answers. Is it the searing family drama performed entirely in Wookie without subtitles? Is it watching lil' Lumpy watch an entire instructional video in real time? Is it the appearance of musical guests Jefferson Starship? Is it the inexplicable five minute Cirque Du Soleil dance break? No, the strangest part is Boba Fett riding a dinosaur.
na losrasputin
na xacviant
T1
Were I a STAR WARS devotee, I'm sure I would see this as a violation of what I believe in, and a humiliation of my loved ones. But I was just left numb. You want minutes upon minutes of unsubtitled Wookiee antics? Diahann Carroll as a singing fantasy for the pleasure (...) of Chewbacca's father? Endless and painfully stupid skits which embarass Art Carney and Harvey Korman? Bea fucking Arthur? Terrible animation for Boba Fett's debut? Harrison Ford looking bored? Lameness unlimited? You got it.
na davidnottm
na JackDurden
na TrixRabbi
T1
Really funny at first but quickly overstays it's welcome and just becomes boring as all hell. Needs to be a communal viewing because on it's own it's pbbbbtttt
na DanseMacabre
na Bufo1944
na wokelstein
na torontodog
T1
This awful show foreshadowed the nonsensical second trilogy.
na Corganist
T7
na Jeb
T1
Please....just don't watch it......
na eadwinn