"American Sniper"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
CMonster
1444 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: "American Sniper"

Post by CMonster »

Stewball wrote: I know, these shades of stark contrast are hard to discern when you're so busy rationalizing.

Where was I rationalizing?

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

I thought this was interesting:

http://www.mrctv.org/blog/iraqis-weigh-american-sniper-and-their-views-will-shock-you#YXJ4Si:5Uy

No, their views don't shock me. And the hero doesn't boast of killing 160 "Muslims". In fact, when he's told he had over 160 kills, he says nothing.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

Stewball wrote:I thought this was interesting:

http://www.mrctv.org/blog/iraqis-weigh-american-sniper-and-their-views-will-shock-you#YXJ4Si:5Uy

No, their views don't shock me. And the hero doesn't boast of killing 160 "Muslims". In fact, when he's told he had over 160 kills, he says nothing.

try class analysis bro

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

CMonster wrote:
Stewball wrote: I know, these shades of stark contrast are hard to discern when you're so busy rationalizing.

Where was I rationalizing?

Rationalizing dismissing the obvious fact that "There's a difference between garnering credit for reacting to a crisis, or making it worse by exploiting it, or creating it outright in the first place."

So you followed up your rationalization with a dose of deflection. What next? If you can't even find a nit to pick, you can always just make something up, or claim that all Truth is subjective, or do anything but face the facts--which would mean admitting an error but you're way to far over the cliff for that.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

lisa- wrote:
Stewball wrote:I thought this was interesting:

try class analysis bro

What class, kindergarten? Or wait, are you saying that Islam is experiencing class warfare, with the terrorists in the equivalent role of ignorant American multi-generational welfare recipients, and with their and our middle classes appeasing the rabble out of fear? By Jove, I think you've got it!

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

or, perhaps the iraqi petit-bourgeois - those who can afford to go to the cinema - has a reasonably good life in a stable regime which the US government can provide, and that lifestyle is threatened by any sort of violent backlash by the underclasses.

look, we're brainstorming!

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

lisa- wrote:or, perhaps the iraqi petit-bourgeois - those who can afford to go to the cinema - has a reasonably good life in a stable regime which the US government can provide, and that lifestyle is threatened by any sort of violent backlash by the underclasses.

"Petit-bourgeois"? ROTFLMAO!!! If you don't live in Africa, S. America, Bangladesh, Asia, Central America or the non-Israeli Middle East, you couldn't have a clue as to what that might mean.

look, we're brainstorming!

Speak for myself. 8-)

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Stewball wrote:
Rationalizing dismissing the obvious fact that "There's a difference between garnering credit for reacting to a crisis, or making it worse by exploiting it, or creating it outright in the first place.

You're right. Nobody in history has ever done that other than the "dems". I wasn't even trying to argue, but more clarify a statement that got pinned to modern day liberals in America despite been an old notion and a direct quote from somebody else. Maybe I'm secretly a die hard liberal who wants to see communism raise its red flag over the whole world but that desire resides only subconciously so I unwittingly lash out with information at loyal capitalists without even realizing my real motive. If that is the case then I apologize. Perhaps I'm continuing to mock your intelligence because you took 2 statements about transdimensional lizard people seriously when I was merely trying to derail the argument because both sides were being sickeningly melodramatic about Islam/war propaganda. If that's the case, I'm really not trying to rationalize or deflect, I'm merely falling prey to the machinations of said lizard beings who were able to temporarily take control of my brain when my foil hat fell off.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

CMonster wrote:
Stewball wrote:Rationalizing dismissing the obvious fact that "There's a difference between garnering credit for reacting to a crisis, or making it worse by exploiting it, or creating it outright in the first place.

You're right. Nobody in history has ever done that other than the "dems". I wasn't even trying to argue, but more clarify a statement that got pinned to modern day liberals in America despite been an old notion and a direct quote from somebody else. Maybe I'm secretly a die hard liberal who wants to see communism raise its red flag over the whole world but that desire resides only subconciously so I unwittingly lash out with information at loyal capitalists without even realizing my real motive. If that is the case then I apologize. Perhaps I'm continuing to mock your intelligence because you took 2 statements about transdimensional lizard people seriously when I was merely trying to derail the argument because both sides were being sickeningly melodramatic about Islam/war propaganda. If that's the case, I'm really not trying to rationalize or deflect, I'm merely falling prey to the machinations of said lizard beings who were able to temporarily take control of my brain when my foil hat fell off.

It's a shame you had to undercut that otherwise well said paragraph in the first sentence. "Nobody in history", "ever"; was that over-the-top hyperbole really necessary? What the Dems have done is to turn it into a virtue, or at least a "righteous justification" for an immoral means to an immoral cause--their own hegemony, which has been in high gear since Johnson.

Paxton
3670 Ratings

Post by Paxton »

I saw this movie last night and have thoughts that are related to the film itself. Is there a place on this forum to share those kinds of thoughts?