The Dinner Game (1998)

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: The Dinner Game (1998)

Post by ShogunRua »

As long as you liked it, that's all that matters, dude. Who the fuck cares what some idiot on IMDB thinks? That being said, the premise for the 1998 film sounds very funny. Guess I'll check it out.

frederic_g54
3012 Ratings

Post by frederic_g54 »

Hopscotch wrote:Just finished watching this and it was awesome!

Who else loved this movie?

It's very funny, I speak french though (dunno if that's your case) but I'm happy you liked it.
I always think a film (especially a comedy) loses its "magic" if you have to read subtitles.

EDIT well, films that rely on their script and performances (in this case, "The Dinner Game")

I'll always enjoy a Kurosawa or Bergman film because I also enjoy other
elements (camera work, music,...)
Last edited by frederic_g54 on Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Melvin Smif
1132 Ratings

Post by Melvin Smif »

Heh the premise sounds great I'll have to check this one out.

Spunkie
5482 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

I watched it on the suggestion here. It only runs 70 min and it's fair for a comedy of errors. Not as smartassed as the premise suggests, very simple and mainstream. At least it keeps rapidfiring dialogue and tangled situations so before you know it's over.

Melvin Smif
1132 Ratings

Post by Melvin Smif »

Spunkie wrote:I watched it on the suggestion here. It only runs 70 min and it's fair for a comedy of errors. Not as smartassed as the premise suggests, very simple and mainstream. At least it keeps rapidfiring dialogue and tangled situations so before you know it's over.

Sounds a bit like "In the Loop" a movie I really loved. I checked it out from the library here's hoping I have the time to watch it.

Spunkie
5482 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

Melvin Smif wrote:
Spunkie wrote:I watched it on the suggestion here. It only runs 70 min and it's fair for a comedy of errors. Not as smartassed as the premise suggests, very simple and mainstream. At least it keeps rapidfiring dialogue and tangled situations so before you know it's over.

Sounds a bit like "In the Loop" a movie I really loved. I checked it out from the library here's hoping I have the time to watch it.

Thanks for -In the Loop- suggestion, that really made my day, I'm still lingering with confusion cloud it beset upon me. Both movies have few things in common; Dinner Game's little obvious error chain and In the Loop's giant web of human err. ITL is way better, I hope it sticks with the audience.

Melvin Smif
1132 Ratings

Post by Melvin Smif »

Finally saw "The Dinner Game" it was funny stuff! I can see what you meant about losing some funny stuff in translation, there were a lot of play on words stuff going on in French. Fourtunatly I have a little background in French so I caught a lot of them. I'm sure I missed some though. Thanks for introducing me to this movie though, guess that's what Criticker is all about!

td888
3958 Ratings

Post by td888 »

"Dinner for Schmucks" looks interesting. This seems to have more focus on the actual dinner and the idiots they bring to the table. I was a bit disappointed that 'the Dinner game' just focused on one of the idiots ruining someone's live. The title and summary is a bit misleading, there's no actual dinner at all.

astrakhan
3762 Ratings

Post by astrakhan »

Just watched "Le diner de cons" again today and had to come back to rate it way higher. It's almost perfect IMO. I loved that all the situations that develop are so plausible. Hard to see how Schmucks can live up to that. I can already tell from the trailer that the American writers have injected a sillier form of humour.

I was reading about Francis Veber and found out that nearly all his films have been remade in America. The guy is seriously well-connected and must be rich as anything from selling all the rights.
L'emmerdeur -> Buddy Buddy
Adieu, Poulet -> Partners
Le jouet -> The Toy
Le Grand blond avec une chaussure noire -> The Man With One Red Shoe
Les Fugitifs -> Three Fugitives
La chevre -> Pure Luck
La cage aux folles -> The Birdcage
Les comperes -> Fathers Day
La doublure -> The Valet

He also uses the character names François Pignon or François Perrin in nearly all his films, and the villain is often called Pierre. Interesting things to know about a guy I'd barely heard of before!

tef
1361 Ratings

Post by tef »

What is an 'ass professor'?