"Ex Machina"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"Ex Machina"

Post by Stewball »

Great story focusing on the growing awareness of the possibilities that might be involved with AI. Didn't see that ending coming, and the Norwegian backdrop really framed the film magnificently. Outstanding performances, especially Isaac (as usual) and the Swedish actress, Alicia Vikander. No comment at this point on the parallels between this and Her. 9/10

martryn
1993 Ratings

Re: "Ex Machina"

Post by martryn »

Saw this today. Thought it was a great movie. However, I also thought it was incredibly predictable, and I certainly saw the ending coming (the film gives itself away, and did it multiple times). Oscar Isaac was fucking fantastic. The writer/director (can't remember his name) nailed the vision I have of what a reclusive, incredibly brilliant deca-billionaire would be like. And they didn't shy away from the realism in the idea that, if you live alone, and you have the capacity for it, you'd probably build yourself a metric shit ton of sex bots.

I do question the security system in the film. I realize it was a plot device, but I can't get over how little sense it made.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Re: "Ex Machina"

Post by Stewball »

martryn wrote:Saw this today. Thought it was a great movie. However, I also thought it was incredibly predictable, and I certainly saw the ending coming (the film gives itself away, and did it multiple times). Oscar Isaac was fucking fantastic. The writer/director (can't remember his name) nailed the vision I have of what a reclusive, incredibly brilliant deca-billionaire would be like. And they didn't shy away from the realism in the idea that, if you live alone, and you have the capacity for it, you'd probably build yourself a metric shit ton of sex bots.

I do question the security system in the film. I realize it was a plot device, but I can't get over how little sense it made.

[spoiler]It was kind of typical as far as what's an AI gonna do when it's threatened with disconnection, goes back to the beginning of the genre. That was one of the differences with Her. I thought they were maybe going to consider the ethics (or morality?) of disconnecting an AI whose self awareness had brought it to the human equivalent of sentience, but they didn't. AI probably would have done that if Kubrick had lived.[/spoiler]