"Batman v. Superman"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"Batman v. Superman"

Post by Stewball »

Just saw the preview for this and I'm rethinking my skepticism towards it.
http://batmanvsupermanmovie.com

It appears that Superman is succumbing to the allure of his superhuman powers, pitting him as an apparent second coming against the everyman, Batman. It has other superheroes involved like Wonder Woman, the Flash and Aquaman, as well as a respectable cast including Lex Luthor (Jessie Eisenberg), Lois Lane (Amy Adams), Martha Kent (Diane Lane), Perry White (Laurence Fishburne), Alfred (Jeremy Irons), with Holly Hunter as a US Senator and Jena Malone in an unspecified role. I don't know where Zack Snyder is going with this, but if he gives free reign to his penchant for as excellent use of music, I'm all in. We'll see......in March 2016, five years to the month after his release of Sucker Punch.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Re: "Batman v. Superman"

Post by Pickpocket »

I was a huge fan of the justice league as a kid so I'm excited for this but really skeptical due to the Ben Affleck casting. I recently saw Daredevil and just can't imagine why Ben Affleck was cast as Batman. There's no reason for Superman to fear him. What is Affleck going to do to illicit fear in Superman? The great thing about the comics, and why Superman and Batman continually butted heads, was because Superman refused to kill anyone and Batman was a psycho who would do anything he had to do to get what needed to be done. No one is scared of Ben Affleck. This is a guy that just about started crying on Bill Maher's show a couple months ago because people disagreed with him. And he's not a good enough actor to make you get lost in a role he's in. I hope I'm wrong but the combination of what appears to be a horrific casting choice and Zack Snyder directing is going to leave me with about as low of expectations as possible going in.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

All concerns I have as well, except maybe my opinion of Affleck isn't quite as low as yours. And to be honest, I don't think anyone has gotten Batman down as the batty loose cannon he should be. I just gotta believe there's something there for them to go ahead with this in the first place, what with these objections springing to mind almost automatically. And now they're marketing it with a full fledged and intriguing preview accompanying($$$) the Avengers a year ahead of time for a spring '16 release. On top of that, Snyder has apparently already lined up Justice League Pt.1 to be released in 2017.

Thinking on it, there are two possible ways Batman could get to Superman: Kryptonite, and Superman's emotional ties to Lois and his mother. Batman could use them (via Lex Luthor doing something he's too much of a [wuss] to do himself?) to undermine Superman's apparently growing messiah complex. I see intricate dramatic potential here, though I'm probably completely out in left field. Jus sayin'.

Thinking even more on it, I like it. If this isn't what Snyder is doing, he should be.

Ooo ooo, Jena Malone, rumored signed but no character....she could be the reincarnation or an otherwise rebooted Robin, as a girl--now or always was!!! The mind does crazy things when you take the box off of it. Or she could be Catwoman.....or both, Gah! Have they ever appeared together, not that that would matter. :roll: The great thing about comics and soap operas, you can call on the Deus ex Machina to resolve any situation.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Even for comic book fans (writes the guy who has read over 300 manga series...), I thought this whole "Batman vs. Superman" thing was an embarrassingly stupid low.

On the one hand, you have a physically ordinary human being with zero super powers. On the other hand, you have a character who is more powerful than many religion's concept of God. Superman has survived nuclear blasts, being at the center of a collision between two planets, becomes ultra-powerful from being in the Sun's core, and has come back from death itself. Gee, I wonder who wins?

And Stewball, if you read the comics, even Kryptonite only marginally slows down Superman.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ShogunRua wrote:Even for comic book fans (writes the guy who has read over 300 manga series...), I thought this whole "Batman vs. Superman" thing was an embarrassingly stupid low.

On the one hand, you have a physically ordinary human being with zero super powers. On the other hand, you have a character who is more powerful than many religion's concept of God. Superman has survived nuclear blasts, being at the center of a collision between two planets, becomes ultra-powerful from being in the Sun's core, and has come back from death itself. Gee, I wonder who wins?

And Stewball, if you read the comics, even Kryptonite only marginally slows down Superman.

Well, first, I was listing plot devices which could affect Superman's super powers. And if YOU'D read them extensively, you should have known that there are different forms of kryptonite, listed here by the issue they were mentioned/introduced in, and they're capabilities, courtesy of Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kryptonite

Ain't the Internet a hoot.

Of particular note, the Gold variety--"Debuted in Adventure Comics #299 (Aug. 1962). Kryptonite affected by atomic radiation, and capable of permanently removing a Kryptonian's ability to process yellow sunlight, which in turn nullifies all superhuman abilities."

(Truth be told I only read a couple. My hero was Scrooge McDuck, most assuredly NOT the DuckTales variety; a great capitalist, the richest duck in the world, great adventures, the Junior Woodchuck nephews, and his three cubic acres of money bin.)

And who's to say they haven't synthesized a fatal/incapacitating variety in the intervening 70 years.

Anyway, also as mentioned, this is still only one possibility in a speculative exercise vis a vis the plot. Superman may be God-like, but unlike God, he has a girlfriend and a mother, which issue you completely ignored, and which I couldn't forbear to reiterate. 8-) And unlike God, Superman is not omniscient, omnipresent or omnipotent, thus making it possible for Batman and his henchmen and/or heroes to manipulate him. It's kind of hard to know who to root for, maybe Catwoman could nuke 'em all and come live with me. Woof! But it is kinda cool in the preview with Superman all dressed up in clouds and a radiant sunlit background like the Second Coming. Like I say, we'll have to see.

But thanks for the softball, I appreciate it, and maybe it was even subconsciously intentional, in which case have a happy and enlightening Cinco de Mayo over there in LA LA Land.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahah. I missed this one the first time through. There's Pink Krytoninte that turns Kryptonians into homosexuals. I'm gonna be wakin' up in the middle of the night laughing about that one. Doesn't say if it's permanent.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Stewball wrote:It's kind of hard to know who to root for, maybe Catwoman could nuke 'em all and come live with me. Woof!

I don't know about that; you would just accuse Catwoman of being fat and kick her out when she got back up to 5' 7" and 150 pounds.

Stewieball wrote:But thanks for the softball, I appreciate it, and maybe it was even subconsciously intentional, in which case have a happy and enlightening Cinco de Mayo over there in LA LA Land.

I haven't lived in LA County for almost 5 years now, dude. Get with the times. :)

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ShogunRua wrote:
Stewball wrote:It's kind of hard to know who to root for, maybe Catwoman could nuke 'em all and come live with me. Woof!

I don't know about that; you would just accuse Catwoman of being fat and kick her out when she got back up to 5' 7" and 150 pounds.

Stewieball wrote:But thanks for the softball, I appreciate it, and maybe it was even subconsciously intentional, in which case have a happy and enlightening Cinco de Mayo over there in LA LA Land.

I haven't lived in LA County for almost 5 years now, dude. Get with the times. :)

Yeah I spec' I shouldn't have expected any other than petty quibbling after crashing and burning so bad. I must admit I am surprised at how shut down you are on the Batman v. Superman thingy. I guess devastation is devastating, though I wouldn't know.

I'm standing by for a pic of a 150# Fat Cat Woman.

And LA LA Land covers most of southern California thanks to all the Pink Kryptonite from the hybrid cars in the air people keep thinking is smog. Oh, hey wait, you're not.......noooo..........it works on people too? ..............That es'plains everything.............. Bwaaaahahahahahahahahahah.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Never mind I'll save you the trouble. There are plenty out there, none that look official though. This gets the point across:

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Stewball wrote:
Yeah I spec' I shouldn't have expected any other than petty quibbling after crashing and burning so bad.

You're insane if you think I'm going to waste any time debating something as fucking stupid as the merits of Superman/God vs. Batman/ordinary human on the Internet.

Stewball wrote:I must admit I am surprised at how shut down you are on the Batman v. Superman thingy. I guess devastation is devastating, though I wouldn't know.

I legitimately laughed hard when I read this. Stewie suffering from delusions of grandeur is always hysterical. :)

Stewball wrote:I'm standing by for a pic of a 150# Fat Cat Woman.

Judging by the picture you posted, you were only off by about 200 pounds or so. Maybe the problem is that Stewie can't tell what bodyweights look like, especially on women?

Stewball wrote:And LA LA Land covers most of southern California thanks to all the Pink Kryptonite from the hybrid cars in the air people keep thinking is smog. Oh, hey wait, you're not.......noooo..........it works on people too? ..............That es'plains everything.............. Bwaaaahahahahahahahahahah.

HAHAHA, are you seriously implying I'm gay, dude? The same guy whose ideal woman has the body of an 8 year-old boy; no ass, no tits, and a scrawny, gaunt, rib-showing 100-120 pounds while finding Christina Hendricks "disgusting" and "ewww" is accusing someone else of secretly being into men?!