"Our Brand is Crisis"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"Our Brand is Crisis"

Post by Stewball »

OK, the trailer looked bad bordering on awful (they actually changed the two worst parts of it for the film itself), the weekend box was crap and the reviews stunk, but the title was enigmatic enough to get me to buy a ticket (blushing as I purchased it) just to see what was up with it. It was obviously a political movie (about politics in Bolivia, duh), but my hopes for unbiased substance were dashed when I noticed one of the exec. producers was George Clooney. I almost got up then and there except I'd already nail-gunned my feet to the floor to prevent just such a flush of cowardice.

Long story short, there's almost no conservative vs. liberal politics--maybe 10 seconds total just for show--which was mystifying since crisis exploitation has openly become the Democrat brand. In fact there's a documentary of the same name from 10 years ago, featuring James Carville--the obvious model for Billy Bob Thornton's character. It's all about the corruption and dirty tricks of the election process on both sides...here and there. To put it in contemporary American terms, it's all about the establishment vying within itself for who's going to rake in the biggest part of the graft pie--which I can identify with completely. The cheesy moments were scarce and the production had overall good quality. Action, of course was lacking except for the bus racing scene. And for the record (anybody else who sees this) please validate my opinion that Bullock's ass double was a man, maybe even Clooney which would fit with her being in talks to do his part in a female version of Ocean's Eleven.) Ain't life a hoot. 8-) I expected this to be a 3, but 7/10

This and Burnt sort of reaffirms my belief that Fall is the best time of year to look for diamonds in the horror rough. Yeah 7/10's not that great, but it's an out of the box thought piece which are becoming more and more rare.