"Creed"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"Creed"

Post by Stewball »

Started out well and with a nice premise, but it started looking like they were just reaching for ideas to stretch it out. But what really dragged it down was the unavoidable comparison it makes between the music used in the originals from back in the 70s/80's to the totally sterile of any inspiration examples I hate to even refer to as music. It very effectively puts a spotlight on the whole sad deterioration of modern music generally. And Hollywood takes much of the blame, progressively de-empasizing, as it has, the value of music in film. I can think of very few offerings over the last 15 years with decent original music.

Hmmmm, new thread potential there.

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Re: "Creed"

Post by VinegarBob »

You should check out the score for Need For Speed by Nathan Furst. It's very good. Also, Alexandre Desplat's score for The Grand Budapest Hotel :)

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Rumplesink wrote:You should check out the score for Need For Speed by Nathan Furst. It's very good. Also, Alexandre Desplat's score for The Grand Budapest Hotel :)

I saw Grand Budapest and don't remember being impressed, except for the Strauss who's going on one and a half centuries gone at this point. And looks like most of Need for Speed is pre-21st Century as well, except for "Roads Untraveled" which leaves me wanting something more, er else. Sorry.

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

Stewball wrote:I saw Grand Budapest and don't remember being impressed, except for the Strauss who's going on one and a half centuries gone at this point. And looks like most of Need for Speed is pre-21st Century as well, except for "Roads Untraveled" which leaves me wanting something more, er else. Sorry.

Just to clarify - I'm not talking about pop songs used throughout the film (I haven't seen Need For Speed), I'm talking about Nathan Furst's orchestral score. You can listen to the full score on YouTube if you're curious.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Rumplesink wrote:
Stewball wrote:I saw Grand Budapest and don't remember being impressed, except for the Strauss who's going on one and a half centuries gone at this point. And looks like most of Need for Speed is pre-21st Century as well, except for "Roads Untraveled" which leaves me wanting something more, er else. Sorry.

Just to clarify - I'm not talking about pop songs used throughout the film (I haven't seen Need For Speed), I'm talking about Nathan Furst's orchestral score. You can listen to the full score on YouTube if you're curious.

But that's just stock music churned out by Hollywood as background music to amplify the emotions the audiences are supposed to be feeling. It suffers from the same malady as does featured music. The last good (actually excellent) background track I remember is Gladiator. I listened to some of it on UTube, and it's hard to differentiate one of the 20 tracks from the next, apart from adhering to one of 3 or 4 themes, or from stuff you hear in just about any action flick they make now. Even Hans Zimmer's stuff is mostly misses any more. I don't know whether it's budget constraints or the talent has dried up, or the fact that one of those feeds the other...probably.

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

Stewball wrote:But that's just stock music churned out by Hollywood as background music to amplify the emotions the audiences are supposed to be feeling.

Oh. In that case I don't understand the original point about music in movies that you were making. Carry on. :lol:

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Rumplesink wrote:
Stewball wrote:But that's just stock music churned out by Hollywood as background music to amplify the emotions the audiences are supposed to be feeling.

Oh. In that case I don't understand the original point about music in movies that you were making. Carry on. :lol:

Like I said, sorry. :(

kgbelliveau
1573 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

I felt this film was easily one of the best films of 2015 thus far. Yes there were a few minor flaws, the lack of stand out music could be considered one of them but overall it revitalized a genre that had been growing stale (minus 2015's Southpaw). It took a classic character and managed to save the history associated with him and create a modern story with him still being a prominent and important factor ( and it wasn't a remake with a cameo). It also proved that Michael B. Jordan is going to he a star and despite one minor mishap with his choosing of roles the kid has a bright future.

Neonman
2886 Ratings

Post by Neonman »

This film was such a pile of nothing. Sure, it has some impressive moments like the one-take fight scene, and I'm on board with the love for Sly in this, his anti-Expendables performance is really something. But this film hardly has anything going for it and it pales in comparison to the original. This sort of film in the series makes sense and I think it's good to redirect focus from Rocky to Creed's son, but this film felt so generic and by-the-numbers. You know how you feel when you watch a current film that has a soulless wash of dull colour grading over it and it makes you realise how unexciting and dull mainstream cinema can appear these days -- that's like in this film, though applied to its tone and form. So boring, I should've just watched Rocky again instead

TheSean
1220 Ratings

Post by TheSean »

Neonman wrote:This film was such a pile of nothing. Sure, it has some impressive moments like the one-take fight scene, and I'm on board with the love for Sly in this, his anti-Expendables performance is really something. But this film hardly has anything going for it and it pales in comparison to the original. This sort of film in the series makes sense and I think it's good to redirect focus from Rocky to Creed's son, but this film felt so generic and by-the-numbers. You know how you feel when you watch a current film that has a soulless wash of dull colour grading over it and it makes you realise how unexciting and dull mainstream cinema can appear these days -- that's like in this film, though applied to its tone and form. So boring, I should've just watched Rocky again instead

I agree with this 100%. A pile of nothing. I didn't hate it. Based on other reviews I've read I'm starting to think I saw the wrong film.