Michael Bay

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
CMonster
1444 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Michael Bay

Post by CMonster »

ShogunRua wrote:
Opie and Anthony are unfunny hacks who think that swearing a lot and doing third-rate imitations of Howard Stern equals high comedy. They suck.

I do like Jim Norton, but he has been on Carolla's show a bunch, too.

I'd rather take my cue on funny radio personalities from real comedians like Norton, Jim Jefferies, Patrice O'Neal, and Louis CK than the guy who thinks Johnny English is the funniest movie ever made.

cameron326
1094 Ratings

Post by cameron326 »

re: infantalism

JK Rowling has certainly done very nicely out of it. Never read a Potter book and dont have much desire to.I will very, very occasionally pick up a work of "young adult" fiction - for example I read the Subtle Knife and enjoyed it (although not enough to read the sequels, but Its the kind of stuff I would have loved as a 12 or 13 year old).

The whole premise and setting of Harry Potter on the other hand sounds very unappealing, uninspired/old fashioned - i doubt it'd have apealed to me as a kid either, although it seems as if Rowling has since tried to darken the story to appeal to her (predominantly?) adult readership.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

CMonster wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:
Opie and Anthony are unfunny hacks who think that swearing a lot and doing third-rate imitations of Howard Stern equals high comedy. They suck.

I do like Jim Norton, but he has been on Carolla's show a bunch, too.

I'd rather take my cue on funny radio personalities from real comedians like Norton, Jim Jefferies, Patrice O'Neal, and Louis CK than the guy who thinks Johnny English is the funniest movie ever made.

All comedians who have appeared on both Carolla and Stern? And sorry, I must have missed the part where any of those guys endorsed Opie and Anthony as being hilarious.

Like it or not, despite being painfully unfunny hacks who couldn't tell a good joke if their lives depended on it, Opie and Anthony have a large audience. So does fucking Bubba the Love Sponge. (Are you going to tell me he is funny, too?!) Ergo, why famous stand-up comedians appear on there.

cameron326 wrote:re: infantalism

JK Rowling has certainly done very nicely out of it. Never read a Potter book and dont have much desire to.I will very, very occasionally pick up a work of "young adult" fiction - for example I read the Subtle Knife and enjoyed it (although not enough to read the sequels, but Its the kind of stuff I would have loved as a 12 or 13 year old).

The whole premise and setting of Harry Potter on the other hand sounds very unappealing, uninspired/old fashioned - i doubt it'd have apealed to me as a kid either, although it seems as if Rowling has since tried to darken the story to appeal to her (predominantly?) adult readership.

Good example.

Certainly, a lot of JK Rowling's readership does come from adults who haven't read anything except for HP.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

CMonster wrote:
Pickpocket wrote:Adam Carolla is a gentleman, a scholar, a genius, and literally a millionaire. Oh and the best radio personality of all time. Sorry Stern

Neither Stern or Carolla has done a radio show as good as the Opie and Anthony show, because Opie and Anthony, while awesome themselves, also have Jim Norton who is hilarious.

They aren't bad (far from great though) but neither one of them is as quick witted or as intelligent as Carolla. Which explains why on Friday when Carolla actually goes into the studio and does their show he completely takes over the entire show for the 20 or so minutes he's on. But yes I agree Norton is hilarious.

CMonster wrote:I'd rather take my cue on funny radio personalities from real comedians like Norton, Jim Jefferies, Patrice O'Neal, and Louis CK than the guy who thinks Johnny English is the funniest movie ever made.

Your highest rated comedy is Kazaam. Get off your high horse

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

ShogunRua wrote:
All comedians who have appeared on both Carolla and Stern? And sorry, I must have missed the part where any of those guys endorsed Opie and Anthony as being hilarious.

You must have missed it. Norton is a co-host. Patrice would fill in for Norton when he was away doing stand-up, but also very regularly while Norton was there. Jefferies has been a regular guest since '08 and Louis since '06. Louis also listens to the show and will occasionally call in when something particularly funny is happening.

Don't get me wrong, I like Carolla, I just enjoy O&A and so do real comedians who I listen to with regularity. I also like listening to Norton every day.

Pickpocket wrote:
CMonster wrote:I'd rather take my cue on funny radio personalities from real comedians like Norton, Jim Jefferies, Patrice O'Neal, and Louis CK than the guy who thinks Johnny English is the funniest movie ever made.

Your highest rated comedy is Kazaam. Get off your high horse

I know Kazaam is a bad movie and the actual movie isn't funny, but I find everything about what it is funny. It's a kids movie about Shaq as genie that is so bad it is universally hated even though Shaq has actually said that he has one of the greatest senses of humor. It's my one ranking that has nothing to do with the movie itself.

hellboy76
6340 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

:lol: Bubba the Love Sponge??? Is this a real person? I am intrigued.

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

TheDenizen wrote:Taking the "Mutant" out of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is the stupidest thing he's ever attempted, and Michael Bay has done some ASTONISHINGLY stupid things in the past...

I literally just heard about this -finger on the pulse!

I've no huge fondness for the series but throwing out mutant surely reduces the hero by a large margin too, as I understand, the origin went something like;

They were thrown/flushed away, abandoned by their human owners.
Poisoned and mutated by Humans and their poor environmental stewardship.

Then, despite being abandoned, mutated and rejected still by humans they love and fight to protect them, seeking no reward.

That heroic little story has seemingly been replaced with;

Something
Aliens on Earth
Fighting because... Michael Bay film?

Hopefully he'll remake Rocky next:

Born into a rich and successful family the billionaire Rocky Balboa (Channing Tatum?) takes up boxing -using the latest and greatest in sports science- he's started his own boxing promotion and is about to defend the title he awarded himself...

The big fight would just be him pounding his opponent (played by Rick Moranis) to death in the ring as the crowd all cheer him.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Pickpocket wrote:Interesting take on Bay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2THVvshvq0Q

Really good video, thanks.

The only addendum I would put is that The Rock (1996) is genuinely a very good action film, and if Bay only made more pictures like that...

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

ShogunRua wrote:
Pickpocket wrote:Interesting take on Bay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2THVvshvq0Q

Really good video, thanks.

The only addendum I would put is that The Rock (1996) is genuinely a very good action film, and if Bay only made more pictures like that...

This guys entire channel is a film lovers wet dream. This video on Fincher is amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPAloq5MCUA