Promising Filmmakers

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
Jeb
2387 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Promising Filmmakers

Post by Jeb »

Directors who have directed one or two films who you think show magnificient potential for future success (Although the three mentioned below have already reaced this level).

Neill Blomkamp

Not only was his short film Alive in Joburg great, his expansion of it District 9 may be the best sci-fi I've seen for the past decade, save for Moon. I'm looking forward to his later projects if any.

Marc Webb

500 Days of Summer was probably the best romantic comedy since Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I loved it from start to finish through all of its chronological 500 days.

Duncan Jones

I thought Moon was going to win top prize for best film of 2009 thus far, until District 9 came out. I can't decide between those two. Jones shows a lot of potential here to later becomes a master filmmaker.
Last edited by Jeb on Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vertiggo
2021 Ratings

Re: Promising Filmmakers

Post by Vertiggo »

Thomas Alfredson

Spunkie
5477 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

Joachim Trier
Directed Reprise, a personal fav. of mine.

Masaaki Yuasa
Mind Game made me rethink unlimited raw power animation has, looking forward for his next project under Studio 4C

Joon-Hwan Jang
Save the Green Planet! is a bit messy but a very passionate effort. It floated above for me during the post millenium Korean movie craze.

Martin McDonagh
In Bruges was an unexpected hit, I hope he is not a one hit director.

Ari Folman
Waltz with Bashir got a bit overpraised but it was solid. Next year he's coming back with an adaptation of Lem's Futurological Congress. It's one of the funniest of Lem's work and if dealt right it'll accomplish a minor Matrix effect.

John Turturro
I always liked him, but his new suit as a director came unexpected producing two quality movies.

Zak Penn
Incident at LochNess did it for me, if he runs out of credit as director he'll probably fall back to writing.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Spunkie wrote:Masaaki Yuasa
Mind Game made me rethink unlimited raw power animation has, looking forward for his next project under Studio 4C

The guy is already extremely famous, but I question how many more opportunities to direct series and movies he will get. His work might gain recognition from you or myself, but it doesn't sell any DVDs. Sadly.

Spunkie
5477 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

ShogunRua wrote:

The guy is already extremely famous, but I question how many more opportunities to direct series and movies he will get. His work might gain recognition from you or myself, but it doesn't sell any DVDs. Sadly.

Well we are used to such singular achievements and the creator struggling to hit the same level for the rest of his life. But this time I believe it will not be the case. Because it has only a few years since Studio 4C's major launch, I remember seeing some of their shorts coming around 2000 (eternal family, noiseman sound insect, dijital juice), by then I felt something major coming along the way. Their other feature lenght is Tekkon Kinkreet by Michael Arias (don't be fooled by the name, he's practically Japanese), it is as passionate as Mind Game if not as succesful. Judging from Genius Party and Kenonozume my guess is there are others behind the scenes waiting for their own feature/series. By the way Yuasa directed a series called Kaiba last year (which I have yet to see).

whatismyname
2153 Ratings

Post by whatismyname »

Spunkie wrote:By the way Yuasa directed a series called Kaiba last year (which I have yet to see).

It's basically the same style as 'Happy Machine' (episode 6) of Genius Party, but as expected being 12 episodes, has more substance. I think you'll like it.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Spunkie wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:

Well we are used to such singular achievements and the creator struggling to hit the same level for the rest of his life. But this time I believe it will not be the case. Because it has only a few years since Studio 4C's major launch, I remember seeing some of their shorts coming around 2000 (eternal family, noiseman sound insect, dijital juice), by then I felt something major coming along the way. Their other feature lenght is Tekkon Kinkreet by Michael Arias (don't be fooled by the name, he's practically Japanese), it is as passionate as Mind Game if not as succesful. Judging from Genius Party and Kenonozume my guess is there are others behind the scenes waiting for their own feature/series. By the way Yuasa directed a series called Kaiba last year (which I have yet to see).

I've seen everything that you've mentioned, dude. And unfortunately, all of it, especially Kaiba, was a gigantic commercial disappointment. There's a reason he hasn't done anything since that series; the market is in dreadful shape right now, and it's questionable whether his series will ever catch on with the type of losers that make up the vast majority of the anime DVD buying Japanese consumers.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

theficionado
1908 Ratings

Post by theficionado »

Pickpocket wrote:http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0015359/

Yay.

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

ShogunRua wrote:The guy is already extremely famous, but I question how many more opportunities to direct series and movies he will get. His work might gain recognition from you or myself, but it doesn't sell any DVDs. Sadly.

Was any of his work released outside of Japan anyway? I could find Mind Game only in Japanese shops for ~50 bucks and I'm certainly not going to pay such a ridiculous price for a dvd.