Promising Filmmakers

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
PeaceAnarchy
7005 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Promising Filmmakers

Post by PeaceAnarchy »

td888 wrote:Out of curiousity, what is your opinion of Tropa de Elite? Can you compare this one with Elite Squad and therefore also with City of God?

Aren't Tropa de Elite and Elite Squad the same movie?

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Ruairi Robinson

I'm super-impressed with this guy; he has directed three shorts, all in different genres, with completely unique styles, and they're all outstanding works.

The first one, "Fifty Percent Grey", done when he was 23 years old, won an Oscar nomination for best animated short film, but it pales in comparison to his next two films, "The Silent City" and "Blinky".

The guy is so disgustingly talented that even his freaking commercials are cool;

td888
3955 Ratings

Post by td888 »

PeaceAnarchy wrote:
td888 wrote:Out of curiousity, what is your opinion of Tropa de Elite? Can you compare this one with Elite Squad and therefore also with City of God?

Aren't Tropa de Elite and Elite Squad the same movie?

My mistake, I meant Tropa de elite 2, the sequel.

stuie299
1450 Ratings

Post by stuie299 »

First off I agree completely with Marc Webb and look forward to seeing what he can do with the Spider-Man reboot. secondly Tomas Alfredson as Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy was terrific (best picture snub for sure). I also second Armando Iannucci for In the Loop.

My picks:

J.C. Chandor - Margin Call (also the writer)
Jonathan Levine - 50/50
Scott Frank - The Lookout
Daniel Barber - Harry Brown
Tom Hanks - That Thing You Do! (surprised we haven't seen a second directorial effort from him)