PTA

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
Jorg
4362 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: PTA

Post by Jorg »

3dRevelation wrote:Full length trailer is coming at 8PM eastern time tonight on Entertainment Tonight and Yahoo Movies per The Master's facebook page.

Looking forward to it tomorrow (shitty timezones).. I guess it's the Cannes trailer then? (first + second teaser plus some extra footage?)

The Master is also reportedly completed and rated R by the MPAA for 'sexual content, graphic nudity and language'.

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

Edit 2: I replaced the youtube video with a working video, so members need not visit yahoo movies. ;)
Last edited by 3dRevelation on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jorg
4362 Ratings

Post by Jorg »

Looking good.. Is it safe to say based on this trailer that it will be significantly less gritty/dark (or whatever other appropriate words that fail to come in my head atm) than TWBB?

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

Jorg wrote:Looking good.. Is it safe to say based on this trailer that it will be significantly less gritty/dark (or whatever other appropriate words that fail to come in my head atm) than TWBB?

I guess you could say that. Philip Seymour Hoffman's character definitely doesn't seem as menacing as Daniel Plainview and probably won't have as great of a moral decline. Lancaster Dodd seems more of a charming, manipulative villain (probably not the correct word choice). Anyway, I think with a different time period, PTA probably wanted a different mood.

ayall
1652 Ratings

Post by ayall »

I liked the trailer, though I think it's hard to gauge the success of a PTA film prior to it's release.

I remember, for example, not even considering watching TWBB, simply because i thought it was a cheesy 1900's based horror movie mistakenly judging it on the title and the ambiguous trailer.
(TWBB is now my favorite movie of all time)

So when confronted with a PTA trailer, i try to simply determine if it's technically sound by paying attention to the details in the set design, lighting, music/score and general acting.

Based on what I saw from this trailer, it definitely looks like a quality PTA film judging is solely on technical details.

I'm a fan of both Hoffman & Joaquin Phoenix, but not really a fan of Amy Adams.
I don't think we'll see a DDL performance, as only DDL alone harnesses that amount of Talent. (just recently re-watched "In the Name of the Father" - Epic).
However, both Hoffman & Phoenix ( especially Hoffman) do have talent, and I'm excited to see what PTA got out of them for this production.

The story is still puzzling to me, though the subject matter does seem interesting.
I hope it isn't overly complex, as PTA's story lines tend to be fairly simple with the choice wording in the script adding the complexity and amazing quotes.

I didn't pull any notable wording yet, but imagine that Hoffmans character will be the one speaking wisely.

Jorg
4362 Ratings

Post by Jorg »

ayall wrote:I don't think we'll see a DDL performance, as only DDL alone harnesses that amount of Talent.

If there's anyone who can come close to DDL's level of acting atm, it's PSH imho. And obviously it also depends on the type of character. I wouldn't be surprised if this will turn out to be PSH's best performance, and a definite oscar contender as long as the academy isn't put off by the religious themes.

ps. The likeness is there also :P :

And besides PSH + Jacquin + Laura Dern, I'm also looking forward to seeing Rami Malek play in that movie. He was great in "The Pacific".

ayall
1652 Ratings

Post by ayall »

Jorg wrote:
ayall wrote:I don't think we'll see a DDL performance, as only DDL alone harnesses that amount of Talent.

If there's anyone who can come close to DDL's level of acting atm, it's PSH imho. And obviously it also depends on the type of character. I wouldn't be surprised if this will turn out to be PSH's best performance, and a definite oscar contender as long as the academy isn't put off by the religious themes.

ps. The likeness is there also :P :

And besides PSH + Jacquin + Laura Dern, I'm also looking forward to seeing Rami Malek play in that movie. He was great in "The Pacific".

Without a doubt PSH will have the greatest likelihood to come out shinning in this movie.

He's done a great job in past PTA movies (Boggie Nights, Punch Drunk Love, Magnolia) so we're certain that he'll know how to work with PTA.

In addition, some of PSH's recent works have also shown amazing promise; Capote, Charlie Wilson's War, The Ides of March, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

The only thing concerning with his performances (other then Capote) is that he seems to play the same character (generally soft spoken with a tendency to fly off the handle).

Bown
1936 Ratings

Post by Bown »

The first shot in that trailer is so absurdly well-composed. The whole thing looks gorgeous - this is gonna be one of the best-looking movies of the year by far - but that shot had me straight-up salivating.

Jorg
4362 Ratings

Post by Jorg »

It's moved up to September! (at least in the USA):

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/t ... -kerbl.php

Guess a limited release will mean that I'll have to travel a bit (to an arthouse cinema instead of normal one) to see it in my country.. I hope it gets released here sooner also... I suppose that, like TWBB, one needs to see it at least twice in order to be able to really judge it (that's also my own experience with TWBB.. and many people seem to agree, including QT in his video review for TWBB which can probably still be found on google).

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

PTA had a secret screening of The Master last night at a theater in LA. Reviews seem very positive (although I don't think there were really any well known critics there). The acting was really praised. Someone called it Amy Adams best performance and also said that it may very well be PSH's best performance. Another person said that Phoenix WILL win best actor as long as Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't amaze in Lincoln. Others said it has good chances of being nominated for or winning Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay. Needless to say, I can't wait for this film to come out.

Reactions: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/paul-thomas-anderson-secretly-premieres-the-master-in-santa-monica-first-reactions-are-wildly-positive-20120804 and http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2012/08/bobfilm_on_mast.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=Daily/Hourly+Hollywood+Meditation&utm_content=Opinion,+wisdom,+tin+foil,+attitude