PTA

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
ayall
1652 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: PTA

Post by ayall »

3dRevelation wrote:PTA had a secret screening of The Master last night at a theater in LA. Reviews seem very positive (although I don't think there were really any well known critics there). The acting was really praised. Someone called it Amy Adams best performance and also said that it may very well be PSH's best performance. Another person said that Phoenix WILL win best actor as long as Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't amaze in Lincoln. Others said it has good chances of being nominated for or winning Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay. Needless to say, I can't wait for this film to come out.

Reactions: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/paul-thomas-anderson-secretly-premieres-the-master-in-santa-monica-first-reactions-are-wildly-positive-20120804 and http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2012/08/bobfilm_on_mast.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=Daily/Hourly+Hollywood+Meditation&utm_content=Opinion,+wisdom,+tin+foil,+attitude

great news though not very surprising... let the count down begin! (or continue :?: )

Jorg
4362 Ratings

Post by Jorg »

15 new photos, and Rami Malek spotted the first time: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... y-20120811

ps. is there any confirmation yet on the runtime? Read some rumors about 2 hours 10 minutes but that seems a bit on the short side.

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

Jorg wrote:ps. is there any confirmation yet on the runtime? Read some rumors about 2 hours 10 minutes but that seems a bit on the short side.

The venice film festival website lists it as 137 minutes long, so 2 hours and 17 minutes. I think that probably is a good runtime. Hell if PTA thinks it is best that way I'm with him. It is kind of short compared to some of his other films, but I think it will be fine.

Jorg
4362 Ratings

Post by Jorg »

martryn
1993 Ratings

Post by martryn »

I've only seen Magnolia and Boogie Nights. I love Paul Thomas Anderson, though, for his interviews concerning Aimee Mann. I ran out and bought the Magnolia soundtrack as soon as I saw that film.

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

That last teaser is probably my least favorite among the other 2 and the trailer, but we seem some more good acting from Phoenix and get more of Johnny Greenwood's score. The film was shown at a theater in Chicago and reviews are positive. A review can be found here (http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/review-the-master-proves-a-brave-sensual-yet-detached-triumph-for-paul-thomas-anderson-20120817). There is not many spoilers, but if you don't want to know much about the film, then I wouldn't read the review.

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

My God, I can't wait. This better be in theaters near me when this gets a wide release or I'm going to go crazy.

Jorg
4362 Ratings

Post by Jorg »

random youtube guy wrote:All of the trailers have degraded a lot since the very first one of joaquin on the beach, if no one can see this than get your fucking heads out from PTA's ass pls. This one was a complete mess

This better not disappoint :P

ps. runtime confirmed now as 137 minutes.

ayall
1652 Ratings

Post by ayall »

Jorg wrote:
random youtube guy wrote:All of the trailers have degraded a lot since the very first one of joaquin on the beach, if no one can see this than get your fucking heads out from PTA's ass pls. This one was a complete mess

This better not disappoint :P

ps. runtime confirmed now as 137 minutes.

Well, there is some truth to that youtube guy post...

PTA moves, in my opinion, have never been justly portrayed by Trailers.

The Trailers show clips, indicating good production value, but they definitely do not put together the movie story, create the complex characters or present the idea in entirety... only the movie does that.

After watching all three trailers, the story does seem like a "complete mess," but that's the bait to get you to watch the movie and see how Paul wonderfully syncs them all together to form a complete masterpiece.

While 137min might be longer then industry standard, it's significantly shorter then his previous movies (TWBB = 158min, Magnolia = 189 min).

No doubt expectations are high, he's a wonderful film maker and has deserved his reputation of excellence.
I'm certain he will not disappoint, but he's set the bar extremely high for himself. (like a gold metal winner trying to break his previous world record).

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

ayall wrote:No doubt expectations are high, he's a wonderful film maker and has deserved his reputation of excellence.
I'm certain he will not disappoint, but he's set the bar extremely high for himself. (like a gold metal winner trying to break his previous world record).

This is my problem too. I so want The Master to be the best film that PTA has made yet, but another part of me really doesn't think he will top Magnolia and There Will Be Blood. I have to try to calm my expectations a bit, so that if it doesn't live up to them, then I won't be so crushed. I do expect it to be better than both Hard Eight and Punch Drunk Love (although I know there are people who really love the latter). All of his other films are in my Tier 10, and I don't think I can go in assuming I'll get another one of those.