PTA

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
ayall
1652 Ratings
Your TCI: na

PTA

Post by ayall »

I've recently been on a big PTA kick... he's climbing to the top of my favorite (living) writers/directors.

After There Will Be Blood, which made me all time favorite list, i went back and revisited a few of his films.

I had seen Magnolia before, and was always a big fan.
I had also seen Boogie Nights before and was a big fan of that.

After looking him up, i saw that he had a big hand in Punch-Drunk-Love, which i didn't watch as i'm not into Adam Sandler in serious rolls... but i must admit, it was a very good movie.
Maybe not as great as TTWB, Magnolia or Boogie Nights, but good none the less.

I've heard good things about Sydney, but haven't watched it yet... it's on my list to catch.
Last edited by ayall on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

omgfridge
2796 Ratings

Re: PTA - Paul Thomas Anderson

Post by omgfridge »

Cool story bro.

ayall
1652 Ratings

Post by ayall »

OMGFridge wrote:Cool story bro.

my pleasure, thanks for reading. ;)

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Although I have 5 films with a perfect score from the 90's, Magnolia is probably my favorite and choice for "est film of the 90's"

astrakhan
3762 Ratings

Post by astrakhan »

Not all of his films are perfect, but Magnolia and especially Boogie Nights are just about as close as I could wish anything to be.

Still got to see TWBB, which could make his record very impressive indeed if it lives up to the hype.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Universal just passed on his new film, lol noobs

ayall
1652 Ratings

Post by ayall »

Pickpocket wrote:Universal just passed on his new film, lol noobs

Well they've proven to only support money makers, and if they pass on PTA, i'm sure its their loss.

I also recently watched this 3 part interview with PTA... i like his openness and honesty... this interview is fairly old though;
Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPrMhLyc ... re=related
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwrHagmk ... re=related
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BM_wyZ- ... re=related

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

ayall wrote:

Well they've proven to only support money makers, and if they pass on PTA, i'm sure its their loss.

Yeah, because Boogie Nights, Punch-Drunk Love, Magnolia, and There Will Be Blood haven't been huge films

What a bad move.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Replicant wrote:
ayall wrote:

Yeah, because Boogie Nights, Punch-Drunk Love, Magnolia, and There Will Be Blood haven't been huge films

What a bad move.

I don't know whether that's meant to be sarcasm, but no, none of those movies were "huge".

"There will be Blood" made $75 million worldwide on a production budget of $25 million. Considering theater percentage take and additional millions spent on P&A (press and advertisement), they would need roughly $50 million just to break even. So it made a decent profit, nothing more. Certainly not a big hit.

"Magnolia" actually lost a lot of money. $48 million on a $37 million budget isn't quite a disaster, but somewhere close to $10 million was lost by investors on the film.

"Boogie Nights" made $43 million worldwide. Considering its likely tiny production budget (not listed), it was decently profitable, but its revenue is more in line with a successful indie, not a "huge" anything.

So ayall was actually correct.

Cool
3056 Ratings

Post by Cool »

Don't forget that PTA's films are quite popular on home video - that means addition profit off DVD sales.
But I can understand Universal. It's bad year for them. "The Wolfman" and "Green Zone" bombed (both costed $100-150m) and Universal don't want another "Heaven's Gate", so they'll invest only in 'safe' projects. It's a business after all, not charity.