Intelligent movies with no violence

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
alex3751
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Intelligent movies with no violence

Post by alex3751 »

Hello all,

in order to watch movies suitable for my son (9 years) I am looking for 'intelligent' movies with low to none violence in it.

With 'intelligent' I mean movies which make you think, has a plot twist in it or a surprise ending. Examples are: Inception and eXistenZ. But the violence is quite big in these ones.

The genre can be anything, but I prefer science fiction...

One movie which falls perfectly into the category I am looking for: The sixth sense!

But are there more such 'intelligent' movies out there with low to none violence in it? I am looking forward to hear your suggestions!

dardan
1637 Ratings

Re: Intelligent movies with no violence

Post by dardan »

The film that suits your criteria best is probably Inside Out (2015). Miyazaki has made a lot of relatively intelligent films suitable for kids, but there is some violence in them:

http://www.criticker.com/people/Hayao_Miyazaki/
Last edited by dardan on Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

td888
3958 Ratings

Post by td888 »

Contact (1997) might fit your criteria.

And maybe you might have a look at Hugo (2011) although it's something outside your criteria...

amazedemon
3540 Ratings

Post by amazedemon »

Gattaca (1997) - It's slower in pace, but "intelligent" and low in violence.

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Cosmos with Carl Sagan is neither fiction nor a movie, but might fit your criteria of something to show to your son. Ocean's Eleven has very little violence and it may not be a genius film, but the heist is clever enough. I also have to say ditto to Gattaca.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

alex3751 wrote:Hello all,

in order to watch movies suitable for my son (9 years) I am looking for 'intelligent' movies with low to none violence in it.

With 'intelligent' I mean movies which make you think, has a plot twist in it or a surprise ending. Examples are: Inception and eXistenZ. But the violence is quite big in these ones.

The genre can be anything, but I prefer science fiction...

One movie which falls perfectly into the category I am looking for: The sixth sense!

But are there more such 'intelligent' movies out there with low to none violence in it? I am looking forward to hear your suggestions!

All of these involve boys (or younger men--Pi) * = more intelligent or intellectual.
Life of Pi
*Like Sunday, Like Rain
*Mr. Holmes
Bad Words
(rated R however mainly for language)
School of Rock
Up

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

How did this make the Criticker "popular topics in the last 2 weeks"?

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Why don't you want to expose your son to violence? At that age, I absolutely loved any and all forms of violence and got plenty of it not just from violent R-rated and foreign movies, but from boxing (watching and practicing), traditional martial arts (watching and practicing), etc. It's normal and healthy for boys.

Anywho, 12 Angry Men fits the criteria. Your son won't understand the full scope of the movie, but will appreciate it enough, and can revisit it again later in life.

nauru
1667 Ratings

Post by nauru »

12 Angry Men is such a great film.

Also perhaps Moon (2009) for a thoughtful sci-fi. Apparently made with a budget of $5 million according to IMDB... very impressive since it could easily pass for a $30-40 million film.
Gattaca (1997) is almost completely non-violent, and one of my favourite sci-fi films of all time.
E.T. (1982) -- maybe not the most complex conceptually but there's a high probability a 9 year old would enjoy it, and it's a Spielberg classic.
Cube (1997) is brilliant but there's a bit of violence in it.

For what it's worth, Jurassic Park (1994) was the most memorable film experience I've ever had and I was around your son's age at the time. It's violent and I was scared, but man that movie blew my young mind.

frederic_g54
3013 Ratings

Post by frederic_g54 »

alex3751 wrote:Examples are: Inception and eXistenZ. But the violence is quite big in these ones. The genre can be anything, but I prefer science fiction...

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned before, but Minority Report easily fits your criteria, not only as a cerebral science fiction film, but as an entertaining action thriller (cf. Inception) - with a moderate level of violence - that a 9-year old would enjoy.

The Prestige also comes to mind, for its limited violence and surprise ending.