Crowdfunded

Share your Criticker Collections with the rest of the community!
Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Crowdfunded

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

Created a collection for movies that are crowdfunded -Wikipedia page.

It's small now but with rumours of David Lynch considering it (can't find the damn link right now though) and confirmed upcoming projects from Spike Lee, Charlie Kauffman, Zack Braf and many more I think it could be interesting.

Edit: Link to collection

And alas, D. Lynch isn't planning to use crowdfunding but his son R.lynch did .
Last edited by Ag0stoMesmer on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EbelC
3530 Ratings

Re: Crowdfunded

Post by EbelC »

I've just added the only one I know, The Cosmonaut, crowdfunded Spanish film ;)

http://en.cosmonautexperience.com/

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

An interesting collection, but one will that be difficult to update. Not only must you look at Kickstarter, but other crowd-funding sites as well.

For instance, Adam Carolla crowd-funded his movie Road Hard on FundAnything;

http://fundanything.com/adamcarolla?locale=en

And while it will likely be shit, here's a movie funded on Indiegogo featuring a popular Internet character;

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/angry ... -the-movie

And that's before we get into the massive glut of documentaries that have been funded on those various sites.

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Penn Jillette is also making a crowdfunded film through fundanything.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

CMonster wrote:Penn Jillette is also making a crowdfunded film through fundanything.

Didn't even know that. Thanks for the heads-up; I have always been a huge fan of his.

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

Other problems include; the lag between appearing on the funding sites and release, and whether they appear on the that other movie website at all, hmmm.

I may have bitten off more than I can chew but I'll look into writing a scraper or rss setup to find films, no promises. There are already some very impressive collections here that don't use such trickery though -female directors for example. I only seeded the collection with the 3 I knew were released, a bunch have been added already, pretty cool.

I'll make a list of funded-but-unreleased films in the first post if people keep dropping them in here.

Angry Video Game Nerd is still going :o , good spot on the PJ movie, I'd never even heard of FundAnything, always learning...

I've come close a couple of times but has anyone here actually backed one of these?

edkrak
3747 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

AgostoMesmer wrote:I've come close a couple of times but has anyone here actually backed one of these?

I haven't backed up anything and don't plan to. Crowdfunding the way it is organized today is a really shitty way to spend money. "Give us 100$ and we'll send you a DVD and a signed hair from director's moustache" or something like that. Not a good deal. If I'm gonna invest in your film give me a real investment contract. If it earns nothing - I get 0, if it makes millions of $ - I'm getting my share of the pie. The way it is organized right now it's just donating money to people who are (often) wealthier than I am. Not going to happen.

Flubbadu
284 Ratings

Post by Flubbadu »

edkrak wrote:
AgostoMesmer wrote:I've come close a couple of times but has anyone here actually backed one of these?

I haven't backed up anything and don't plan to. Crowdfunding the way it is organized today is a really shitty way to spend money. "Give us 100$ and we'll send you a DVD and a signed hair from director's moustache" or something like that. Not a good deal. If I'm gonna invest in your film give me a real investment contract. If it earns nothing - I get 0, if it makes millions of $ - I'm getting my share of the pie. The way it is organized right now it's just donating money to people who are (often) wealthier than I am. Not going to happen.

The problem with that idea is all the regulation (at least in the US) around investments of this nature. I think crowdfunding is the way it is now because it has to be in order to sidestep regulatory issues. And the point of crowdfunding isn't the product you get for it; it is enabling the product to be created in the first place -- like being a patron of the arts in the olden days. Admittedly, this stops being true after the funding has already been reached; at that point you really are just preordering the product.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

edkrak wrote: If I'm gonna invest in your film give me a real investment contract. If it earns nothing - I get 0, if it makes millions of $ - I'm getting my share of the pie.

I think you will be pleased to learn that this will soon become a reality;

http://tuckermax.me/how-crowdfunding-wi ... d-my-life/

There are already sites that will soon allow you to allocate money into endeavors, like movies, as an actual investor.

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

I recently enjoyed Cities on Speed: Bogota Change (2009) and have had The Human Scale (2012) on my wishlist for a while. The director of those, along with the producers of The Act of Killing (2013) are looking to make another film about Mockus, I'm tempted to back this one.

http://democrazyfilm.com/

There's also a documentary about the world-wide network of George Clooneys!