Drag Me to Hell

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
Jeb
2387 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Drag Me to Hell

Post by Jeb »

I have been a faithful fan of Raimi's work ever since he directed his first major B-movie masterpiece, The Evil Dead. He balanced scares and gratuitous violence with hilariously campy and absurd humor, and continued this formula in the next two chapters, which both lived up to the hype and cult following of the original. Then Raimi took a more focused turn with the Spider-Man trilogy, which all three succeeded in domestic grossings, although the third film didn't receive too many light reviews. Now, Raimi has once again returned to his roots and signature strategy and tactics. His techniques are all present here in Drag Me to Hell, from the average joking to the proper distinctive standards that were there in Evil Dead. Even the knockout combination and blend of cachinnation and consternation is here, but the trepidation doesn't occur as much as you want it to until the last two sections where all hell breaks loose. Drag Me to Hell also carries an eccentric charm within its hard shell, which ignites a flurry of frequent amusement among the three elements mentioned. The plotline is eminently and immensely primitive, and has a fresh take on the usually ripped off concept of hell itself. I was expecting the cast to induligibly fail at every line they spoke, but both Justin Long and Allison Lohman deliver juggernaut exhibitions, and they have good connection with each other here. The only flaw I can find in Drag Me to Hell is the predictability and pretentious path it chooses towards the end. Only the fatal twist (which is sadly revealed and hinted tremendously in the trailer) is incredible in this contaminated area. However, everything else and the sheer entertainment factor it holds prevents it from falling vigorously from the top.

Drag Me to Hell is a fine demonstration of American horror done right, and it shows that Raimi has not lost his touch in the horror genre. You get a certain sense of primal fear and distress watching it that soon penetrates after a pun is cracked, which then precedes to lead into another unfortunate scare. If Sam Raimi once again decides to make a horror movie, he will most definitely come back with this trait, along with the trait to make amazing movies just like this one.

87/100
Last edited by Jeb on Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Re: Drag Me to Hell

Post by Pickpocket »

Sounds like every other review ever written about this movie. Comparing Jaws to DMTH is pretty weird though

Luna6ix
4609 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

although i agree with your review for the most part, i find it hard to believe that anybody followed him through the spiderman trilogy.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I remember when I saw Bruce Campbell speak at a horror convention around the time Darkman came out. One of the audience members asked if the third Evil Dead movie (Army of Darkness, which was still in the planning stages, I believe) was going to a comedy like Evil Dead II. When Bruce Campbell replied "Yes", I felt a bit disappointed. Sure, at the time I was a dedicated promoter of Evil Dead II to whoever would listen, and I still enjoy it to this day, but it got a bit too slapsticky in places. The original was quite a bit scarier and I was hoping Sam Raimi would would hold back a bit on the jokes with Army of Darkness. Sadly, the third movie went so far in the direction of slapstick and goofiness that it can hardly be considered horror at all.

Drag Me to Hell is much more like Army of Darkness than it resembles the original Evil Dead, and it seemed like Raimi was just recycling effects from his Evil Dead Trilogy days rather than venturing into fresh territory. I did like that Drag Me to Hell had a cynical tone, but neither the story or Raimi's style offered anything new. The seance was just too silly and typical to make much of an impression, and that should have been the most intense part of the movie. The rest of the shocks were passsable, but hardly groundbreaking.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Sam Raimi+Spiderman= No longer a director i respect.

Tripwyre
1866 Ratings

Post by Tripwyre »

It's not a scary movie at all, but it is a damn entertaining one. I think by the fourth time the gypsy puked in the girl's mouth I knew the movie was for me. Well, I actually knew before that, but how often do you get to say that? That said, the high praise in the OP is a bit ridiculous. Sam Raimi's Jaws? To each their own, I guess, but you're making it sound like this is on par with Evil Dead.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Radicalohank wrote:Sam Raimi+Spiderman= No longer a director i respect.

Spider-Man seems to destroy everything that it touches. Save Capcom's Marvel games, where he in fact is a badass.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

This is what Sam Raimi does in his spare time.

Melvin Smif
1132 Ratings

Post by Melvin Smif »

I find it interesting the hatred for the Spiderman films everyone seems to exhibit, a series I enjoy with the exception of the third installment, but that is your own opinion I suppose. I also find it funny that some would refuse to give "Drag Me To Hell" a chance based on their dislike for an utterly different genre of film. It's even funnier considering the horror/comedy genre is a genre Rami has definitely proved himself to be pretty adept at. :lol:

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

I was really annoyed by how much I enjoyed Spider-Man 2. I was all up and ready to hate that film.