8 Mile (Curtis Hanson, 2002)

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
DougReese
4644 Ratings
Your TCI: na

8 Mile (Curtis Hanson, 2002)

Post by DougReese »

8 MILE (Curtis Hanson, 2002)
Review by Douglas Reese

Eminem gives one of the best singer-to-actor performances in "8 Mile". In fact, he may be the best that the 2000s decade saw. Not only is it a very calm and collective portrayal, but its raw and riveting; a man stuck in so many situations that the pain is bruising in the most subtle of moments. Many can say that the performance hits way too close to home, but doesn't that draw out the best of performances? Check out Mickey Rourke's extraordinary performance in "The Wrestler", for example. What makes both of these performances so great is that the actors use personal demons to orchestrate, communicate, and dig deep within the characters they are bringing forth. With Eminem's powerful performance, the soul of Curtis Hanson's stylish indie-inspired drama scores - its conflicting story rubbing off very believable, and with humor seaming from the complete reality of human action.

Hanson directs "8 Mile" with strong, sometimes dreading, moods of grit and unease. Every scene feels to be on shaky ground, on the verge (like its flawed character) of breaking. The film is a salute to the sometimes violent world of Detroit, where everyone seems to be used to living a life of violence, sex, and drugs that they feel they are living right; not realizing their dreams are only quick imaginary thoughts instead of the goals one would normally try to set for themselves. Hanson makes these streets real, with people whose social morals are apparently scattered in a vast, empty playground where adults can't seem to find their personal path to walk on and breathe like they really want to. And while Hanson studies the characters in these many ways, he also opens up the door to show us the great underground rap battles of the mid-90s. Jimmy (Eminem) has a dream to rap, yet can't seem to act on it. He flees the stage in fright during his battles, causing him to fear acting on his dreams. He feels trapped on his journey to achieve his future, unlike the many other's who can't seem to grasp onto it. Whether Jimmy makes it to achieve his dream or not, is best left, as the film does make it, unsaid. "8 Mile" has a very unconventional ending that Hanson constructs to make the viewer ask questions concerning whether the dreams of the people in this neighborhood are either lost, or stuck in a state of fear.

"8 Mile" is an effective film, with director Curtis Hanson examining life as much as the many lifestyles the film faithfully depicts. Alongside Eminem's captivating performance, there is a supporting cast that is absolutely exceptional. Kim Basinger brings humanity to Jimmy's flawed mother, even if her humanity is based on the shattered perception that she must find a man to help feed her kids. She is a tragic character, blinded by the complete truth that she is, really, a mother detached completely from what is expected from her. As Jimmy's friends: Mekhi Phifer, Omar Miller, and Evan Jones shadow the life of Jimmy with a great amount of realism. It's easy to understand that these guys are close, even though they fight and argue all the time. They still are there for one another. (I especially love the scene where Miller's character Sol George drives Jimmy to work early in the morning. It's a very human moment; funny, yet sad.) And topping the cast off are Brittany Murphy as Jimmy's sluttish girlfriend, Eugene Byrd as his friend who promises more than he can make, Anthony Mackie as Jimmy's rap battle rival who is more sensitive that he socially projects, Michael Shannon as Jimmy's mother's annoying boyfriend, and Taryn Manning as Jimmy's pregnant ex-girlfriend bent on being the stereotype the neighborhood seems to lay on her shoulders.

A compelling (and entertaining) examination of human courage and personal sacrifice, "8 Mile" is filled with flawed characters that project the torn dreams of the human soul, and projects this with complete authenticity. The film's terrific final scene ends the film on the right, powerful note with Eminem's own Oscar-winning song "Lose Yourself" swelling up in the background. It's a fantastic song that pays its dues to Jimmy, a man that rises partially above his demons, and came one step closer to rising above his fear.

Comments?

yikes113
88 Ratings

Re: 8 Mile (Curtis Hanson, 2002)

Post by yikes113 »

Nicely written! I couldn't top a review like that :)

One of the moments in the movie that for some reason I remember most was when he got sick on himself. I immediately thought of the line "he's got vomit on his shoulder" from one of his songs. I realized then, at that moment, that so much of his art is but a story from his real life experience. I guess most rap is? Well, probably not most of the newer-trendy-poppy-radio hits about sex and drinking are.....are they?!! Not really very educated on current music in this genre.

Anyway, raw emotion etched with realism.
That's what I got from watching it.
I own it, but I have not watched it in a loooong time.

Stain
5623 Ratings

Post by Stain »

DougReese wrote:

Not only is it a very calm and collective portrayal,

Comments?

Yes. Please learn to use a dictionary. :-)

Tripwyre
1866 Ratings

Post by Tripwyre »

yikes113 wrote:One of the moments in the movie that for some reason I remember most was when he got sick on himself. I immediately thought of the line "he's got vomit on his shoulder" from one of his songs. I realized then, at that moment, that so much of his art is but a story from his real life experience.

I understand the point you're making and I do agree with it to an extent, but the song you're thinking of was written expressly for the film and the lyrics are almost entirely "in character". He probably did throw up before a show at one point in his career, but that line in the song was put in because it happened in the movie, not vice versa.

Anyways. I quite enjoyed 8 Mile, and agree that Eminem's performance was strong and captivating. I have a review of my own kicking around here somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up.

KGB
1335 Ratings

Post by KGB »

'8 Mile' was great. Far above anything I ever expected from a film starring Eminem being Eminem.

DougReese
4644 Ratings

Post by DougReese »

Stain wrote:
DougReese wrote:

Comments?

What did I say that was wrong? I thought Eminem played the role very calmly. It wasn't like most rapper or ghetto performances, it was actually a pretty quiet and nice one. Of course there are sparks of the more piercing and loud moments, but overall its a very well-calculated and subtle performance. :)

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

lol @ Eminem having an Oscar but Hitchcock doesn't

Stain
5623 Ratings

Post by Stain »

DougReese wrote:
Stain wrote:
DougReese wrote:

Comments?

What did I say that was wrong? I thought Eminem played the role very calmly. It wasn't like most rapper or ghetto performances, it was actually a pretty quiet and nice one. Of course there are sparks of the more piercing and loud moments, but overall its a very well-calculated and subtle performance. :)

The word for which you're looking in that sentence I quoted is "collected", not "collective". HTH.

DougReese
4644 Ratings

Post by DougReese »

Stain wrote:The word for which you're looking in that sentence I quoted is "collected", not "collective". HTH.

:oops: Oops...

Thanks for the clear-up though, Haha. Never realized I was using the wrong word before... :lol: