Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
warrensm
2512 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)

Post by warrensm »

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is directed by Martin McDonagh, and its stars include Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson, and Sam Rockwell. In this movie, Frances McDormand plays a divorced mom living with her son, played by Lucas Hedges, in the small town of Ebbing, Missouri. Prior to the events of the movie, her daughter was murdered by an unidentified man who apparently raped her during her final moments of breathing. The film starts 10 months after the incident, and McDormand drives by three old billboards along the side of the road. Inspired, she uses them to post a message venting her frustration at how the investigation has come nowhere close to identifying the killer. Two cops, played by Harrelson and Rockwell, take notice to the message and try to accelerate the progress of the investigation, but they each have to deal with their own personal baggage at the same time.

This is not the ordinary kind of crime/suspense film that I, or anyone else is used to watching. By the end of the movie, we don't truly have a definite answer to how it happened and who did it, but our characters that remain committed to the case begin taking the right steps that will help get them there eventually. Again, it's not an ordinary crime/suspense film, but that's not a bad thing. The story does a good job at introducing possible scenarios, keeping the effect of mystery and suspense going. The production knows exactly which approach to take with shooting each scene, especially in a particular scene with Rockwell's character. And the acting is very strong and effective, showcasing how the wear and tear of an ongoing investigation can drive someone past the breaking point.

Score: 84/100

Recommendation: Definitely for anyone up for a good crime drama.

kgbelliveau
1570 Ratings

Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)

Post by kgbelliveau »

Easily one of my favorite films so far in 2017 (still have a lot left to watch) thanks largely to the fact that like you said it did not wrap things in a way we were expecting. McDormand and Harrelson were great together and Harrelson's character went in a direction that was completely unexpected.

PrestoBix
2378 Ratings

Post by PrestoBix »

I saw the film a second time on saturday, and this time I had a specific reading of the ending:

It's obvious that the general theme is about anger causing more anger, as is stated by the 19-year-old girlfriend, "anger begets anger." I think that by leaving us on the precipice of a decision of whether to continue or not to propel the cycle of violence, the director/writer is asking the viewer themselves whether they want to continue the cycle of violence in their own lives.

kgbelliveau
1570 Ratings

Post by kgbelliveau »

PrestoBix wrote: I think that by leaving us on the precipice of a decision of whether to continue or not to propel the cycle of violence, the director/writer is asking the viewer themselves whether they want to continue the cycle of violence in their own lives.

That is an interesting take on the ending. I can definitely see why the director would want us to question this especially with all the violence in todays society.

That being said I don't think Dixon or Mildred would go through with killing the man without 100 per cent proof. Dixon could have easily just killed Red in the street to be honest if he really wanted to and Mildred showed signs of remorse once she realized Dixon was in the burning police station. They just need a purpose and the decision is a purpose. It may even be a chance at a new beginning.

PrestoBix
2378 Ratings

Post by PrestoBix »

kgbelliveau wrote:
That being said I don't think Dixon or Mildred would go through with killing the man without 100 per cent proof. Dixon could have easily just killed Red in the street to be honest if he really wanted to and Mildred showed signs of remorse once she realized Dixon was in the burning police station. They just need a purpose and the decision is a purpose. It may even be a chance at a new beginning.

That's not the way I'd personally read into McDonagh. He abuses his characters for the sake of the greater narrative, so trying to presume what they will or will not do is pointless. They'll do whatever McDonagh needs them to do for him to make his point.