Guess the movie from the image

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Guess the movie from the image

Post by ShogunRua »

We're on the honor system here. It's very easy to cheat, but thankfully, people prefer to play the game legitimately. There's no way to avoid the image search function, either.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Since we are on the topic of the fairest way to play the game, could I ask for an opinion on the following? ...

I know the two actors in the current image. I know I haven't seen the film, nor have an inkling of what it is from general knowledge. I expect I could easily look up both actor's filmography and find the common link to find the answer. Would the consensus be that's cheating? I'm certain I did this a few months back thinking it was ok to do so, however I won't do it again if it's against the spirit of the game.

Similarly if I haven't seen a film but recognise enough detail about it to be pretty sure I can guess the film specifically, I presume that's ok? It's just I read a lot of film magazines and websites and seem to retain a lot of general knowledge about films that I haven't seen. I did this for American Graffiti and Black Sunday images on here and was open about my approach so I think it's ok, but if not, let me know.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Sleuth it if no one else is getting it . . .

showing the main actors in the screen is sort of going, let's move on now, anyway.
(they don't want to find any more caps)

Similarly if I haven't seen a film but recognise enough detail about it to be pretty sure I can guess the film specifically, I presume that's ok?

that's totes top class delicious sleuthery that deserves medallions. that's golden and i fear you know it.

rklenseth
11502 Ratings

Post by rklenseth »

I don't have any problem with any of that at all, Philamental. I believe the only real cheat is the reverse image method posted in the forum earlier.

Also, I didn't have much choice for picking the second image. Anyone that has seen the movie will get the significance of the bathhouse scene but the other choices contained nudity which I can't post due to the rules.

Bobbles
1029 Ratings

Post by Bobbles »

You're supposed to guess, so recognizing people and searching imdb for candidate films is fine. As for reverse iamge search: to be honest, I felt like some terribly obscure shots were guessed far too quickly in the past. It's water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned, but if you really care about the game, you should probably RIS your image before you post it.

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Being that this a a forum game I think two things apply.
1) anything goes
2) wanting to "win" so bad you are looking at file names and using a reverse image search is kinda sad

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Thanks for the feedback, people. I enjoy playing this game but wanted to be sure I wasn't spoiling the fun for others.

I half expect that many of the regular players ended up testing the image search on rklenseth's original image ruling them out of playing this round, so I'm going to use my super detective skills on the second image if I may ;)

That's Colin Firth and Ian Holm, so a filmography cross reference of both actors, coupled with rklenseth's clues, suggests the film is The Hour of the Pig (1993) aka The Advocate in the US. I'm going to add that to my future watching list as it seems like one I'd find interesting.

I'll wait for confirmation before posting the next image.

rklenseth
11502 Ratings

Post by rklenseth »

That is correct. Your turn. :D

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Right! .... Have tested and this is safe from Image Search ;)

Untitled3.jpg
Untitled3.jpg (50.53 KiB) Viewed 1236 times

I think it's a tough one to start with

Alp
311 Ratings

Post by Alp »

The Hundred-Foot Journey