Guess the movie from the image

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
dardan
1636 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Guess the movie from the image

Post by dardan »

Feels like I'm talking to myself in here.

Hint #3: https://soundcloud.com/dardan93/vlc-rec ... -23h11m07s

edit: additional hints: pay attention to the end of the recording. In the second hint you shouldn't look at the man himself, but instead at the combination of him and what he is surrounded by to find the biggest clue. Lastly, notice the difference in the quality of the footage between picture 1 and 2.

Zeherit
760 Ratings

Post by Zeherit »

So the people in this movie watch a movie which looks a bit like Tarkovsky.
I still have no clue ;)

dardan
1636 Ratings

Post by dardan »

dardan
1636 Ratings

Post by dardan »

Also, the image of the building on the plate in my first hint/picture was of the Reichstag.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

*crickets* ... *tumbleweeds*

;)

I'm almost certain I don't know the answer to this but you seem to be trying to give it away at this stage so if it helps others this is how far I've been able to take this ...

You just made a point to mention the Reichstag building which as far as I understand was historically the German house of parliament which was last used by the Nazis (European History scholars should forgive me if that isn't entirely accurate). It would therefore make a lot of sense that your last image is of the ovens of a German concentration camp, so I'm guessing this may be a film about or containing strong references to the holocaust. If so, would it be on this list?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Holocaust_films

Presuming it's a post WWII film and based on the black and white quality of the photography I'm guessing it's probably 1950s, but also possibly late 40s or even early 60s. That would reduce it to about 20 possibilities on that list.

Even if I'm on the right track, I haven't seen any of those films and there are too many to guess from, so at best I'm hoping I might help jog someone's memory here. If I'm completely wrong about this, then your clues have been rubbish ;) :lol:

Actually just before posting, I looked through that list of Holocaust films again one last time and the first one 'The Stranger' (1946) is said to have been the first to contain footage of concentration camps, and the suggestion in your clues is that there is a film within a film aspect. Looking further into the full Wikipedia page of 'The Stranger' I found this ...

"Within the film is a second film, another Wellesian touch, consisting of snatches of documentary footage showing Nazi atrocities. The Stranger was the first commercial film to use documentary footage from the Nazi concentration camps."

so I am prepared to make a guess after all. The Stranger (1946)?

dardan
1636 Ratings

Post by dardan »

No, but thanks for trying. It wasn't made in the 1940s, but most of the film was in english.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Damn! I actually was starting to think I had worked it out with the film within a film thing :lol:

dardan
1636 Ratings

Post by dardan »

You worked out the film within a film thing, but picked the wrong film. Think, where would footage of concentration camps be shown? Listen carefully to the ending of the sound clip. The concentration camps were discussed during that segment and everyone in that sound clip, including in the end, did the same thing (literally and figuratively) with different objects. I'll give you a second chance (if that's allowed).
Last edited by dardan on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

It was Zeherit who deserves the credit for first noting the film within the film thing, but when I found that 'The Stranger' had that aspect as well as seemingly fitting other criteria I thought were relevant, I started to believe I had worked it out.

Unfortunately I'm at work and cannot listen to audio (I haven't listened to the first clip either, I'm afraid). Where would footage be shown? For educational purposes at schools/colleges?

Also thanks, but no need to give me a second guess. I haven't seen the film and my sleuthing wasn't enough to get me over the line this time so it's only fair to let others have a crack.

P u l p
3159 Ratings

Post by P u l p »

Judgment at Nuremberg ?