Oscars to boost best-picture nominees from 5 to 10

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ayall
1652 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Oscars to boost best-picture nominees from 5 to 10

Post by ayall »

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/mov ... htm?csp=34

I can't believe this shit.

Hollywood can't even produce 5 decent films for me to choose from, and now they want to make the list bigger?!?!

Talk about putting the Cart infront of the Horse... if anything, they should go from 5 to 3... last years nominees were an embarassment on the film community.

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Re: Oscars to boost best-picture nominees from 5 to 10

Post by edkrak »

If you think Hollywood doesn't produce good films, why do you care about the Oscars?

doctor7
1979 Ratings

Post by doctor7 »

Are you kidding me? One of the best years in recent memory was 2007 and even with that I have to struggle to think of 10 movies that really deserve to be on that list.

The Dark Knight didn't get nominated for Best Picture because it wasn't that great. Jesus.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

I love how this is a way to "boost viewership." It's already too long as it is and adding 5 more films will just make it more tedious.

But this just shows you how much studios control these pointless awards. TDK didn't get a nod and WB probably has been breathing down the academy's necks since then. And here is the result.

doctor7
1979 Ratings

Post by doctor7 »

Pickpocket wrote:I love how this is a way to "boost viewership." It's already too long as it is and adding 5 more films will just make it more tedious.

But this just shows you how much studios control these pointless awards. TDK didn't get a nod and WB probably has been breathing down the academy's necks since then. And here is the result.

They really do have a ton of power. Apparently Harry Weinstien forced The Reader into Best Picture.

Luna6ix
4609 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

i heard on MPR that previously (maybe the 30's) it was at 10 so this is simply a return to form for the oscars. considering the movies that make the nominee list i think it's a good thing. the reason provided was that now comedies and action pictures will make the nominee list as well and that will provide diversity. also the oscars aren't just for movies made by hollywood they said that it would also consider forign pictures.

epiphany
0 Ratings

Post by epiphany »

Luna6ix wrote:also the oscars aren't just for movies made by hollywood they said that it would also consider forign pictures.

I swear to God, this better not happen. The Oscars are meant to be for American films only, by including foreign films in the best picture categories, the Oscars are implying that American films populate the top 10 films made each year and the American film that wins supposedly triumphs over anything at Cannes, Venice etc.

KGB
1335 Ratings

Post by KGB »

LOL at this whole thread. I will never understand why people give a fuck about the Oscars. It's just a big, fancy marketing tool. It's not even entertaining.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

but... but....but the awards are so shiny!!!

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

KGB wrote:LOL at this whole thread. I will never understand why people give a fuck about the Oscars. It's just a big, fancy marketing tool. It's not even entertaining.

I think it's mostly old people. Whenever the Oscars are on in the apartment lobby, it's strictly the AARP crowd that watches them. Neither myself nor any of my friends care much about it either, but our parents tune in religiously.

Its popularity and importance will significantly diminish in the next 10 years, if it hasn't already.