Music

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

Re: Music

Post by MmzHrrdb »

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Since writing my post in this topic almost 2 years ago, I have become a huge fan of Ayreon.

The breakdown from 3:31-3:51 above might be my favorite ever.

Spunkie
5506 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

ShogunRua wrote:Since writing my post in this topic almost 2 years ago, I have become a huge fan of Ayreon.

Heartfully agree, he blows conceptual album thing out of proportion, but musically it's swell.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

currently my favourite artists are:

1. nico
2. johann sebastian bach
3. iannis xenakis
4. john coltrane
5. peter brötzmann
6. can
7. velvet underground
8. senyawa
9. joanna newsom
10. béla bartók
11. morton feldman
12. comus
13. manfred schoof
14. josquin des prés
15. björk
16. coil
17. guernica
18. holly herndon
19. charles mingus
20. painkiller

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

scarlatti and coltrane got me through work this week

scar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM8fCkLWyJg

col
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2HZQ70hpbU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clC6cgoh1sU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHVarQbNAwU

and some deorro for help w/kicking in adrenaline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MLcpeEfZbw

a raag for when things calm down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FglVACXnQIk

i play music more than listen to it at home. much better.

MacSwell
2737 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

I play a little bass (yeah, who doesn't, right?) and I mostly like rock from the 60s to 90s and folk from the 60s and 70s.

My favourite songs:

The Band - When I Paint My Masterpiece (Dylan cover)
Belle & Sebastian - Lazy Line Painter Jane
Bob Dylan - Meet Me in the Morning, Simple Twist of Fate
The Byrds - I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Penthouse Pauper
Deep Purple - Pictures of Home
Derek & the Dominoes - all of the Layla album
Don McLean - Vincent
Fairport Convention - Who Knows Where the Time Goes
A Flock of Seagulls - Space Age Love Song
Grand Funk Railroad - Gimme Shelter (Stones cover)
The Grateful Dead - Ripple
The Jam - Ghosts
The Jeff Healey Band - See the Light
Jesus & Mary Chain - Blues from a Gun
Joe Cocker - Bye Bye Blackbird
The Kinks - Apeman
Led Zeppelin - Hey Hey What Can I Do, Boogie with Stu
Lou Reed - Waves of Fear, Satellite of Love
My Bloody Valentine - When You Sleep
Neutral Milk Hotel - Ghost
The Only Ones - Another Girl Another Planet
Pink Floyd - Time
Radiohead - all of The Bends album
The Rolling Stones - Sweet Virginia
Screaming Trees - Julie Paradise
Smashing Pumpkins - Mayonnaise
Simon & Garfunkel - Richard Cory
The Stooges - Gimme Danger, Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell
Thin Lizzy - all of the Jailbreak album
Tom Waits - Downtown Train
Velvet Underground - all of the Loaded album
Wishbone Ash - Throw Down the Sword, Sometime World
Last edited by MacSwell on Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

you made me pick up my bass for the first time in years. so rusty

never did master the jamerson groove. but the dude did play upright in jazz clubs every night. those chromatic fills are just fucking delicious

AFlickering
3010 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

Top 75 Songs at 35 (one per band)
1) naked raygun - treason
they took the wipers formula and created something better than every wipers song combined, which is an insane statement coming from me. this song means everything to me. can't fight what gives you life.

2) bambara - machete
truly haunted, frightened music; biggest chills i've ever got from a work of art. makes me wanna start writing short stories again. lightning bugs glowing in the breeze... and i fell to my knees.

3) alliance - at dawn
who is this beautiful alien who perma-dresses like a legend of the galactic heroes character? the greatest vocalist who ever lived, that's who. that ridiculous keyboardist behind him? he wrote this ethereal wonder. he passed recently, and i hope he gets to eternally relive the finest hour of his dream in the sky.

4) the velvet underground - i'm set free
i'm not gonna be talking about any music 'saving my life' on this list. there's one song i have always reached for in bad times, though... thing just gets it, man. my safe space.

5) lee moses - bad girl
the platonic ideal. send it to the aliens so they'll spare us.

6) richard dawson - masseuse
the greatest songwriter at the peak of his powers. only song that's ever made me cry in public. a timeless world unto itself, as well as the most savage and crushingly poignant commentary on the modern world that you'll find in any medium. more than anything.

7) radiohead - idioteque
i can barely stand even thinking about radiohead anymore, but i'm forever grateful to them for warping into the future and bringing us this. no media has captured our disorienting tumble into neoliberalism better, and sadly i can't imagine anything on this list will age better. worth more than the entire rest of their discography combined (although i must mention their other masterpiece, 'life in a glasshouse').

8) at the gates - the break of autumn
mad visionary emo death metal from the most vivid and expressive to ever do it. my most listened to record ever; i know every word, riff, beat and production quirk like the back of my hand. i know most of my friends would go 'primal breath' or something off the debut, but i'm always gonna pick the song i'm named after (twice if you include my old Timebird account on metal boards). i still long for that silent land of dreams.

9) angelo badalamenti - laura palmer's theme
is it my favourite soundtrack because it's for my favourite show, or is it my favourite show because it's got my favourite soundtrack? yes

10) mad river - eastern light
more schizo music i'm afraid; a terrible trembling post-vietnam sickness lurks in that wailing voice and fracturing guitars and nagging bass and skittling drums. they were just tryna do a country joe + QMS-influenced boomer rock ballad but those pesky demons got in the way. stood on my doorstep after you'd gone, heart full of feathers and pieces of bone... went to the river hoping you'd come, your eyes full of lightning and your hair all undone.

11) nick cave & the bad seeds - the mercy seat
a terrifying, all-encompassing confrontation with all that has been done and all that's yet to come.

12) the national - baby we'll be fine / friends of mine
simply and inexplicably my favourite 1-2 in rock music and probably both in my top twenty most listened to songs of all time, by a band i've come to despise as narcissistic coldplay-tier garbage (although this album is good)! sick-to-the-stomach with the best production ever.

13) harvey milk - i did not call out
Slowly she got up/Reached into her bag/Got her thirty-eight/And walked into the trees/Then I heard the shot/In no time at all/I just sat in wait/I did not call out

As I sat, I looked/There was something everywhere

In the pine needles/And the humus/Where I sat/There was something

In the dead gray ashes

There was grace

14) pentagram - be forewarned / last days here
another one-two punch that can't be separated in my head, complementing one another perfectly; the invincible high, and the comedown. 'last days here' is the reason i've included them though, as earnest and vulnerable and despairing and goddamned real as rock music has ever gotten--even dead moon never did better. i never heal.

15) wipers - no fair
the sound that forever scratches my deepest itch, AKA wounded scared desperate stormy life and death shit. every time i turn around you're there.

16) sacramentum - cries from a restless soul
the sun setting at the end of a final adventure. and then... peace. when time ceases to be, my soul it can be free.

17) james carr - the dark end of the street
only a raging flame can cast such deep dark shadows. oh darling, please don't cry.

18) UGK - one day
best, most deeply felt hip hop song ever recorded. swallowed under city lights.

19) the keggs - to find out
if you have some notion about musical quality and it doesn't apply to this song you should immediately toss it. for many of you that'll mean starting from scratch, but trust me it's the right decision.

20) satan - alone in the dock
some things never change: i still consider this the greatest heavy metal song ever recorded.

21) sunnyboys - let you go
only those with love scars need apply. guitars made of sinews and arteries. always a coin-toss on whether i'll tear up the first time the chorus hits.

22) roky erickson and the aliens - if you have ghosts
a lot of musicians try to make music that sounds mentally ill, but roky was a deeply ill man trying to banish his demons through rocking out, and that was never more apparent than here. the words tumble out like an exorcism. i am real.

23) the beach boys - surf's up
it annihilates, transcends and finally resurrects popular music. that such a thing could come from one of the definitive icons of pop innocence is a terrible tragedy, but also some kind of miracle.

24) björk - all is full of love
i was a vespertine truther back in the days when homogenic was miles ahead of it in the court of public opinion and i'm still on my victory lap, but honestly i'd take the single version of this erotic reverie over either. perfect video, exactly as uncanny and blissful and horny as it needs to be.

25) dicks - hate the police
poised, calm and certain, hanging in the stillness like a corpse's accusatory stare. no punk song has greater clarity of purpose, perhaps because the anger never soaked so deep before or since.

26) slayer - at dawn they sleep
as much as i adore 'raining blood', this song is the band's magnum opus, built with astonishing intelligence around probably the finest collection of riffs ever penned.

27) warning - watching from a distance
all the feeling in the world is bottled by this album. people act like it would be nothing without walker, but the guitars, in both texture and melody, are the most seductive and enveloping i've ever heard. soon as the first note hits i'm gone.

28) beyoncé - countdown
utterly exhilarating display of beauty, energy, talent and creativity. i'm gone in the brain.

29) the saints - no, your product
on living in a world so inauthentic it makes you physically, mentally, spiritually sick, and violence is the only relief. too much for anybody to handle.

30) eddie noack - psycho
the quiet, morbid details and mundane expression add up to the most profoundly disturbing song ever recorded. takes a twisted fucking genius to realise that "wishing both of us was dead" is the correct resolution to that verse. or just a fellow psycho, i guess.

31) neutral milk hotel - in the aeroplane over the sea
trust me, however hard you're rolling your eyes at this choice, it's not as hard as i roll mine every time someone acts like the best songs on here are anything less than genuine, passionate, idiosyncratic art. i've probably sang along to this at the top of my voice on 40 separate occasions.

32) fates warning - fata morgana
metal songs aren't this perfect even in dreams. frankly, if you love this you've made it as a metalhead, and if you don't then you haven't. sorry, i don't make the rules.

33) the clash - train in vain
should be every bit as respected as a pop song as 'i want you back'. moreso, even.

34) npcarlsson - steamed hams inc.
not content with merely being a hilarious work of genius riffing on a hilarious work of genius, it's a mystical, cosmic experience that magnifies all the relatable emotions of the sketch and makes the hairs on my body stand up every damn time. a youtube video has never deserved to hit the 10m views mark more--granted, a million of those were probably me. single-handedly justifies the existence of gorillaz.

35) moral decay - this god
that this unbelievably charged and fraught fusion of old-school emocore and prog thrash has influenced basically nobody is one of the great tragedies of this world. my favourite EP of all time, everything i always hoped to find when scouring the bands that received a anacrusis/depressive age/...and justice for all moody introspective thrash comp. RIP to the savants behind this, half of whom are long dead.

36) elvis presley - suspicious minds
somewhere along the line i went from thinking this was overwrought vacation music for middle-aged people doing karaoke on cruises to realising it's a staggeringly beautiful song about breathless dreams built on trembling foundations. which probably means i'm becoming middle-aged.

37) prince - when you were mine
the attitude and mood i try to maintain toward all aspects of life, even when it'll potentially make me a sucker.

38) the chasm - deathcult for eternity: the triumph
no band burrows deeper into the winding corridors of the mind, unlocking esoteric thoughts and arcane emotions while also bringing the goddamn riffs. best discography ever, there are probably 15-20 different songs that could get on here, but i'm going with this gorgeous, underrated closer to my favourite of their albums. i'm slowly fading into the dreams of the universe.

39) elend - apocalypse
the album is the closest thing i've heard to milton or dante in musical form (just as the sophomore is for my beloved steven erikson books), and it's best listened to as a whole. overwhelming and awe-inspiring, an entwining torrent of evil and the divine. i choose this song because few passages evoke greater emotion in me than the release at 1:40 here. and there was a silence in Heaven...

40) kylie - love at first sight
the kind of love i crave these days sounds exactly like this.

41) civil defense - everything is as it should be
black metal wishes.

42) dead moon - demona
the realest addiction song. 157 seconds is all that's needed. i've tried to walk the narrows, but it's no use. i find myself surrendering in dreams with you.

43) natalia imbruglia - torn
inseparable from the genuinely unsettling video, which visualises the hollowness of celebrity culture, the performative farce people try to forge into an enduring life, and above all the terrifying slipperiness of identity. it's wiser about the latter topic than anything you'll ever hear amidst today's buzzword-driven clusterfuck.

44) pere ubu - final solution
play this for every prospective love interest on the first date. on second thought, play it for their mum instead.

45) system of a down - metro (berlin cover)
nothing makes me go apeshit like this chorus. fuck you for loving me.

46) sanford clark - it's nothing to me
rivals 'is that all there is?' for music's greatest shrug.

47) emerald - winds of doom
the best doom track hardly anyone's heard, or just... the best doom track? a monumental arrangement, inspired in its structure and detail.

48) destruction - devil's soldiers
kids with no clue what they're doing creating some of the most extraordinarily strange and unhinged music possible. best thrash riffs of all time.

49) the only ones - another girl, another planet
if you know me in person you've seen me wearing my 'another girl another planet' t-shirt probably 50 times. i know the verses are dumb as rocks and badly sung but what can i say? space travel's in my blood.

50) frankie knuckles - your love
i can no longer remember nor comprehend how i ever withheld a single half star from this banger. equal parts mesmerising and electrifying.

51) steeleye span - little sir hugh
possibly the single most formative influence on my tastes, since i was introduced to this by my dad at no more than 3 or 4 years old and it traumatised the living shit out of me. its cheerful malignance has followed me around ever since.

52) god - my pal
legendary cult classic. aussies know what's up. i don't like no one. well, except for you.

53) diamond head - lightning to the nations
such effortless mastery that i'm convinced only geniuses could've written it.

54) the offspring - beheaded
literally perfect and better than anything recorded by 99% of more respected punk bands. i got a funny feelin' comin' over me.

55) deathspell omega - carnal malefactor
if immolation are the only anti-christian metal where the anti-christian part actually matters, the same could be said about deathspell omega and satanism. i only really like this one album, though.

56) the jesus lizard - monkey trick
i must be past 100 listens at this point. still go fucking crazy at youknowwhat every time.

57) nina simone - mississippi goddam
the most righteous bit of agitprop in any medium, by one of the coolest women who ever lived, with perhaps the greatest voice ever put on wax. this is easily my favourite version. i ain't 'BOUT to be non-violent honey!

58) adramelch - fearful visions
grimly desperate remembrances of ages swayed by the fear, its doomed medieval backdrop so vivid you can smell the plague and rot. there may be better individual songs but this sound is the heavy metal ideal for me these days.

59) hot snakes - suicide invoice
a side-project of the better known Drive Like Jehu, but i'd take this stuff anyday. one of very few bands to reconfigure the wipers' brand of doom rock without sacrificing quality.

60) the tammys - egyptian shumba
my late ex did a performance art piece based on this so it has some baggage attached, but i loved it before her anyway. does anyone NOT love this limbflinging fever dream?

61) abner jay - i'm so depressed
the watching from a distance of country blues. all filters removed.

62) saracen - horsemen of the apocalypse
while it wasn't so hot for the album format, this era might've been metal's peak for individual tracks. this is comfortably in my NWOBHM top 3 these days.

63) branikald - rdyandalir
anthem for those comforted by the cloak of darkness. i'm as much of an atmoblack sceptic as the next tasteful metalhead, but i think there's something wrong with people who don't instantly love this.

64) baddiel, skinner & the lightning seeds - three lions
could never have imagined how naive, poignant, even eerie this would go on to sound twenty years later. it's a time capsule of a bruised but hopeful era that wasn't just lost but slowly suffocated, replaced by widespread apathy. fifty eight years of hurt, folks. but nobody's dreaming anymore.

but wait... we do have maybe the best player in the world for the first time in my life? lol. i know that was then, but it could be again... the most pregnant pause in all of music.

65) the shangri-las - give him a great big kiss
the song pop was always trying to be, before it mostly stopped trying anymore. mwah!

66) beat happening - run down the stairs
this is my shaggs i guess. brittle music crying out to be more substantial, to be heard, but they "don't know how". whole world trapped inside with no way to let it out.

67) the shadow order - end of journey
what attracted me to black metal is the otherworldly shit that sounds like it was made by backwater cretins with no sense of music history or professional songwriting standards, just expressing some fanatical idiot worldview with utter passion and conviction. you can keep some your classic albums and leave me with this insular marvel. everything works from the bizarrely processed vocals to the nakedly yearning guitars to the shamelessly artificial drum machine.

68) gravenhurst - the diver
the greatest of the fucked in the head singer/songwriters, although not for the faint of heart.

69) boston - more than a feeling
sometimes the people trying to be above it all just look dumb. no amount of overplay or condescension can weigh down such liquid carefree music.

70) the stooges - i wanna be your dog
it will never not be mindblowing that they invented the discharge h/c riff in fucking 1969, nor that they addressed this subject matter so provocatively and debaucherously. for such a supposedly sexually liberated era, little of our music comes close.

71) dust - pull away/so many times
the apogee of epic rock music, and bass guitar.

72) exuma - dambala
primordial spirit music for those who walk with zombies. bring the trumpets from Heaven, and the fire from Hell.

73) rita & the tiaras - gone with the wind is my love
chasing an ideal that can never be caught.

74) balloon farm - a question of temperature
so weird and fun and melodramatic and sexy. nothing like this being made anymore. bring back the theremin.

75) dark moor - bells of notre dame
lots of bleak vibes on here, so let's end it with this glorious staple of my listening diet. cheese board, anyone?