Halfway point 2011

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
theficionado
1908 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Halfway point 2011

Post by theficionado »

2011 is shaping to be the best year in film in my lifetime, I think. What are your favorites so far?

10. Kati with an I
9. Agrarian Utopia
8. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
7. I Saw the Devil
6. You Are All Captains
5. The Arbor
4. Meek's Cutoff
3. Into Eternity
2. Tree of Life
1. Certified Copy

HM: Bill Cunningham New York, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Cold Weather, Circo, Rango, Source Code

(These are going by U.S. distribution dates.)

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: Halfway point 2011

Post by ShogunRua »

theficionado wrote:2011 is shaping to be the best year in film in my lifetime, I think. What are your favorites so far?

10. Kati with an I
9. Agrarian Utopia
8. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
7. I Saw the Devil
6. You Are All Captains
5. The Arbor
4. Meek's Cutoff
3. Into Eternity
2. Tree of Life
1. Certified Copy

HM: Bill Cunningham New York, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Cold Weather, Circo, Rango, Source Code

(These are going by U.S. distribution dates.)

I actually haven't seen a single film from 2011 so far, as they virtually all looked terrible, but I think that's chiefly my fault for not investigating closer, and only paying attention to mainstream releases.

Among your list, I have only even heard of Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Rango, Source Code, and Tree of LIfe.

So as a recommendation topic for good 2011 films, I hope to check some of those out.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Hobo with a Shotgun is probably the best movie I've seen this year so far. X-Men First Class is the only other thing that really distinguishes itself.

I Saw the Devil looks pretty good.

Rufam
1548 Ratings

Post by Rufam »

The Tree of Life, Hanna and Rango are the only truly good films I've seen of this year. Super 8 and the second Hangover were also watchable, although both disappointing for different reasons. I haven't seen many films that were distributed in 2011, but I really think this is shaping up to be a mediocre year for cinema, although there is plenty of promising stuff still coming up.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Meek's Cutoff looks incredible and I'm desperately trying to find a showing close to where I live. So far no luck.

Wasn't a huge fan of Rango, I Saw the Devil or Source Code, to be honest. I Saw the Devil was particularly disappointing because I'm a sucker for revenge/vigilante films.

astrakhan
3762 Ratings

Post by astrakhan »

Hits with me so far in 2011: Midnight in Paris, Chico & Rita, Waste Land, Una Vita Tranquilla, Incendies, Aftershock.

Ok, some of those are technically 2010 films, but I saw them in 2011. Not a standout year yet but we shall see.

mwgerb
2074 Ratings

Post by mwgerb »

I've only seen 6 films from this year, and I wouldn't consider any of them to be great films. Of course, that's partially my fault for being slow to see all the art films. Still waiting for Tree of Life to come to my area.

theficionado
1908 Ratings

Post by theficionado »

I think you guys would like I Saw the Devil, Shogun and Deni. Dark comedy of the most pitch-black variety. I'm rather sure some of my choices will be somewhat polarizing, but I do recommend that EVERYONE check out The Arbor... It's almost impossible to explain how it works, but it works like a motherfucker.

filmfreak88
1698 Ratings

Post by filmfreak88 »

I have to yet to see lots of 2011 films. But so far, these are the movies I liked/loved in 2011 (based on US release dates):

Of Gods and Men
Incendies
Super 8
When We Leave
Heartbeats

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

theficionado wrote:I think you guys would like I Saw the Devil, Shogun and Deni. Dark comedy of the most pitch-black variety.

sounds right up my alley, and I've really liked the majority of other Ji-woon Kim films I've seen. Thanks for the rec!