Most blatant false advertising of films

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
nauru
1667 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Most blatant false advertising of films

Post by nauru »

For me the top 3 most blatant cases of false advertising in 2011 were:

3. Hugo -- billed and advertised as "fantasy" despite being completely grounded in reality with no fantasy elements at all.

2. Contagion -- billed as a "thriller" and "science fiction" film despite clearly being a standard slow-paced drama with no thrills, and not a single sci-fi element. Major outbreaks of infectious diseases among a population of organisms are natural and have happened from time to time throughout human history; it is no more "science fiction" than the volcano eruption in Dante's Peak or the tornadoes in Twister.

1. Drive -- famously marketed as a fast paced film about getaway driving when in reality the film is pretty much the exact opposite. The central focus of the film is slowly walking around, silently staring at walls or out of windows or at people, and making a new friend in one's apartment building.

What do you think have been the most deceptive/deceitful film marketing campaigns?
Last edited by nauru on Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: Most blatant false advertising of 2011

Post by ShogunRua »

nauru wrote:What do you think have been the most deceptive/deceitful film marketing campaigns of the past year?

I haven't watched many films in the last year, and even fewer trailers, but in 2010, it was definitely "True Grit".

The first trailer made it seem like a brain-dead, crappy Hollywood action thriller. I was pretty damn depressed for a couple of weeks after seeing it.

In reality, it was another marvelous Coen Brothers picture, with their characteristic dark humor, memorable characters, realism, mixed ending, and sudden bursts of violence. It was blatantly false advertising, and I couldn't have been happier about that!

nauru
1667 Ratings

Post by nauru »

Ha ha. With the Coen brothers I would never trust the ads. No matter how the trailer looks, I always pretty much know what a Coen brothers film is going to be like in terms of pacing and writing. (with the exception of Joel Coen's performance in the Chevy Chase classic Spies Like Us from 1985 which was totally different -- albeit Coen was acting not directing)

Jerky
6163 Ratings

Post by Jerky »

Definitely "Bridge To Terabithia"

The trailers made it look like "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" clone, or a similar fantasy. And it was made by Disney, so why would you doubt a trailer billing a film as a fantasy family adventure???

Most deceitful advertising ever!!!!

DO NOT let your youngsters (under 10) watch this, as it gets pretty heavy.

I don't get shocked often, as I'm pretty desensitized from watching loads of horror movies over the years, but this movie really surprised me.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Jerky wrote:Definitely "Bridge To Terabithia"

The trailers made it look like "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" clone, or a similar fantasy. And it was made by Disney, so why would you doubt a trailer billing a film as a fantasy family adventure???

Most deceitful advertising ever!!!!

DO NOT let your youngsters (under 10) watch this, as it gets pretty heavy.

I don't get shocked often, as I'm pretty desensitized from watching loads of horror movies over the years, but this movie really surprised me.

That was the first movie I though of too. BUT....the movie was excellent, just marketed by a bunch of trolls.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

The Grey was basically marketed as "Taken with wolves"...it was nothing of the sort.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

TheDenizen wrote:The Grey was basically marketed as "Taken with wolves"...it was nothing of the sort.

What do you mean "taken with wolves"?

BTW, Bridge to Terabithia, wasn't 2011. Nevertheless......

Don't really remember anything that was terribly misrepresented in 2011. Even my dumbest movie of the year, Your Highness, had a trailer to match.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Like Neeson's previous film Taken, but with wolves instead of sex slave traders...ie a violent beat em up.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

TheDenizen wrote:Like Neeson's previous film Taken, but with wolves instead of sex slave traders...ie a violent beat em up.

Ah, "Taken", with wolves. But yeah, I should have gotten it anyway.

monclivie
5485 Ratings

Post by monclivie »

"Rabbit Hole" was advertised in Poland as a supernatural horror. "Surprising like The Others" etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZucsLQp3Ag