Describe your favourite movie-going experience of your life

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Bryce74
203 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Describe your favourite movie-going experience of your life

Post by Bryce74 »

Event Horizon

https://www.criticker.com/film/Event-Horizon/

Usually I don't feel physically much when watching a movie, but I remember a scene in this movie, when an astronaut is in the airlock while a vacuum is created....I really felt nausea :D

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

When I was about 20, I went to a British horror double bill with my best mate: Dracula (1958) followed by Theatre of Blood (1973). Mark Gatiss did an excellent foreword on British horror over the years. We enjoyed the first movie but the second just blew us away; we cackled like hyenas throughout and I've adored Vincent Price's campy charms ever since.

I originally wanted to skip the second film having not heard of it before going to the cinema. Realising what a grave error that would have been really encouraged me to seek out stuff that wasn't mainstream cinema and helped create the movie omnivore I am today.

90sCoffee
2242 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

Mine was The Force Awakens in 2015. It was the first film I'd seen in an actual friggin theatre for like an entire year and it was like being a kid again when I used to go to the cinema and have a tonne of fun no matter what I saw. The movie obviously has its flaws but I've given it a high rating just based on how much fun I had, it was action-adventure done right (not like that newer one which was a mess of a soap-opera). It was also one of the first ones I saw in regular Imax (not any of that 3D garbage) and my expectations for it were average based on the previous Star Wars films so it exceeded those and matched my excitement for it based on the trailers.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Re: Describe your favourite movie-going experience of your l

Post by Stewball »

Stewball wrote:2001: A Space Odyssey

While I've been brought to more intense emotional experiences by other movies, this was like several epiphanies all at once: the fantastic improvements in special effects, the social and religious questions it raises, the unique and original visuals, and with all of that set to music which heightened the whole experience, particularly the trip to the moon. Yes, those things individually have been done better since, but not in unison, and not all in unison for the first time--years ahead of its time.

That was Feb. '13. It is still and probably will remain my favorite movie-going experience. But in 2000, for me (ironically), we entered the Golden Age of Cinema. Yes there's a lot of garbage and naval contemplation going on today, but there are scads of quality stuff to be had. And since I posted the above, I've seen two movies that have had a profound and lasting effect on me : Her and The Accountant--the former philosophical, and the latter due to it innovative diegesis. Perhaps they will catch on when the time they are ahead of has arrived--like when The Accountant: The Big Picture (my title for the in-production sequel), a continuation of the puzzle theme, is released.
Last edited by Stewball on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillyShears
5493 Ratings

Post by BillyShears »

The Neon Demon a character was about to be raped and this group of about 6 girls all got up voicing their displeasure “sickest trash etc etc “ and the moment they left and the theater door closed it cut to a scene of necrophilia and I blacked out laughing .

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Not sure it's my favourite necessarily but definitely my most memorable ...

Se7en (there will be spoilers so fuck off if you somehow still haven't seen it yet)

A few of us who just met in college are going to the cinema and deciding what to see. I suggested Se7en but one of the girls had already seen it and my heart sunk a little as there was fuck all else in and I expected we'd end up going to see some rom com shite or something. To my surprise she went on to say 'It's really good so I actually want to see it again' and that was all the group needed to make the decision final. So we're inside watching the flick and I'm sitting next to the same girl, who I was kinda sweet on even if I knew nothing would ever happen there, and the library scene came on and Bach's Air on a G String plays. I whispered to her that I loved that piece and she agrees and then starts to hum it ever so softly but pitch perfectly which was really impressive. Anyhoo the movie continues and starts hurtling towards the climax. The detectives are taking their captive out to the desert and there is a feeling of dread as we all know something terrible is going to happen. She then whispers to me 'have you figured it out yet? I had by now' .... I had no fucking clue what was about to happen but the challenge had been laid down so my mind kicked in to overdrive trying to figure things out so she wouldn't have outdone me. I failed but was still desperate to figure it all out asap. And then the box turns up ... WTF? I'm going nuts now ... she had apparently figured it out about 5 or 10 mins previously and I was stumped at the courier showing up with a cardboard box! ... there's blood on the box? What could possibly fit in a box that would be freaky and involve bleeding ... OH MY FUCKING GOD! FUCKING HELL! JESUS CHRIST! THERE'S A FOETUS IN THE BOX! JOHN DOE HAS KILLED MILLS' WIFE AND STUCK HER UNBORN FOETUS IN THE BOX! THIS IS THE MOST INCREDIBLY FUCKED UP THING IN THE WORLD EVER! I'M EQUALLY SHOCKED AND ELATED AT THE BALLS OF THIS FILMMAKER! I DON'T KNOW IF I'M GOING TO BE SICK OR CHEER! I THINK I'M GOING TO ..... oh, it's a head! ... it's not a foetus .... oh that's actually a lot more tolerable ... still fucked up but far more acceptable cinema fare :)

Would Se7en still be my favourite film of all time without that cinema experience? probably although I can't be certain. I know the experience was unforgettable though even if it was mostly for something that only happened in my head rather than even being referenced in the film. I bet I was just about the only viewer who ever was PLEASED to learn it was just a 'head' in the box! :lol:
Last edited by philamental on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neonman
2873 Ratings

Re: Describe your favourite movie-going experience of your l

Post by Neonman »

My two favourites are pretty much for different reasons. First is seeing There Will be Blood -- I was a 16 year old burgeoning film-lover, and given that this had such great reviews so far (though I'd never seen a PTA film at this point) and I had recently seen No Country for Old Men, American Gangster, Sweeney Todd, and I Am Legend, I thought "this better be fucking great". I was proven right seconds into the film and was properly blown away by it. Even before it ended, when Daniel is being baptised at the church, I thought "this is the best movie I've ever seen". And then there was the rest of the film. By the end of it, I felt like my body had melted and I was just a pair of eyeballs left on the cinema seat, stuck there throughout the ending credits.

The second is The Room. There's a cinema that plays it quite regularly, certainly more than any other film, and I went and saw it with friends when Greg Sestero was there to introduce it and promote his book The Disaster Artist (earlier in the day, I got to interview him with some folks at a publication I was writing for, and he hung out with us throughout the city for the rest of the day, which was pretty cool). Seeing the movie (for the third time, but for the first on the big screen) was like a religious experience. The audience was crazy, yelling out lines, heckling it, running around, throwing stuff at the screen. Pretty fun experience, I ought to see it in the cinema again.

djross wrote:Another great experience at the theatre was Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me in 1992: it is a great pity that few people had the opportunity to have this experience, in no small part because of the ludicrous blindness and deafness of critics at the time. It seemed to me then, and it seems to me now, that this is a film that has been lovingly crafted in all aspects. Lynch has a true artist's appreciation of the materiality of aesthetics, not just visually but aurally, and this was never more fully realised than in Fire Walk with Me.

Some other great experiences at the movie theatre: 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Irreversible, Days of Heaven, West Side Story, The Earrings of Madame De...

I saw FWWM at a fairly large cinema recently and it was rather packed, which was nice to see (this was when the excellent new series was on). I think this film is definitely getting some much needed reappraisal, more and more people are saying what a great adaptation of the show it is -- I personally prefer it to the show (maybe even more than The Return) and it's up there as one of Lynch's best films.

LEAVES
1225 Ratings

Post by LEAVES »

Le quattro volte

As the film starts, there are 7 of us in the theater on opening night. I know only one other person - a professor of film studies at one of the local universities and one of the chairs of the local Italian Film Festival. I recognized her because she gave a glowing introduction to a bewilderingly melodramatic lesser film from an Italian great, and while I thought very little of the film I endured. Before seeing Le quattro volte I had seen the trailer and knew that there was going to be a long, unbroken, unimaginably complicated shot, and that there would be goats. In the middle of "the shot" the professor rustles, whispers to her friend something to the effect of, "Sorry, I fell asleep. Do you know what's going on?" "No." "Do you want to leave?" "OK." They leave, and two others left soon before or after, I can't recall. At the end there were just three of us, and I was personally amazed at the audacity of the film, at its effectiveness in paralleling human life with the existence of other things, all the way down to inanimate charcoal, at the incredibly unique cosmic irony of the entire affair. And I remember being so, so disappointed that the rest of the area's film enthusiasts would be subjected to bad melodramas in perpetuity because the local "experts" couldn't bother to stay awake through something that wasn't obnoxiously overblown. You should definitely watch Le quattro volte, though. Don't listen to sleepy old people.

SirStuckey
2880 Ratings

Post by SirStuckey »

District 9

I was very excited for it and there was a nerd convention going on at the time. Basically a theater full of people who were really into it.

JSchlansky
4287 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

Can't think of a favourite necessarily but I did once attend an anniversary screening of jaws and in the theater was a child who knew jaws was a shark movie but apparently had no notion of what a shark was. Anytime ANYTHING happened he would loudly inquire "Is that a shark?!". Someone opens an umbrella; "Is that a shark?!" Hooper displays a bottle of wine; "Is that a shark?!"