Theatrical vs. Streaming releases

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Theatrical vs. Streaming releases

Post by Stewball »

More and more movies are being released in theaters and on line at about the same time. Not sure what the strategy is for the distribution companies; seems like it would severely cut into the theatrical take and probably even the overall box.

But my main question is for viewers: which do you prefer, and does it increase, decrease or leave unchanged, the likelihood you'll see a given title at all? Also, is this going to finally spell doom for theaters like TV was supposed to do back in the 50s?

I for one enjoy/prefer the benefits of the theatrical experience (I almost never have to contend with rude/obnoxious patrons, and audience reaction is an interesting aspect), but the radius I will drive for an initial theatrical release for all but my really gotta-see-it-in-a-theater-even-if-it's-avaliable-at-home radius has shrunk considerably. Of course the big releases will continue to have a 3-6 month cushion before the DVD/VOD is available; but is it likely those theatrical releases will be threatened...or actually enhanced? So far it's obvious that the strategy seems to be reserved for movies with likely weak box office prospects.

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Re: Theatrical vs. Streaming releases

Post by ribcage »

Being married and the fact that our theater of choice has a great bar for premovie drinks means that regular theater visits can get cost prohibitive. I tend to only go for movies i have a very good idea i will like and that i think will greatly benefit from the large screen and large speakers of a theater. So i see a pretty typical assortment of big budget action films as suits my taste as an action junkie. Comedies are VERY hit or miss for me and horror i refuse to see in theater because i find no sense of fear, terror, or suspense while being surrounded by idiots screaming at every predictable jump scare. I do enjoy horror but strictly at home.

All that being said i also skip the VOD because its usually same price as a ticket and i can't stomach paying that to watch in my home especially when theres so many films i haven't seen that are at my disposal either free VOD, my DVR, or my excellent local library.

Tldr: if i want to see it badly enough i go to the theatre. Otherwise it can wait

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

But what if it's a movie you really want to see and it's only on VOD or you have to drive way the hell and gone to the only theater it will likely be shown. Besides the savings in time and gas, you get 2 (or 20) tickets for the price of one. Of course most action blockbusters aren't going to be set up like that anyway, so.....

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

I guess my hobby of collecting gets in the way too. Where going to the theater im spending money on an overall experience more so than just a film when it comes to paying $10 minus the experience id just buy a blu ray.

As i thought about it and the times i have gone out of my way to a screening i realize im only an hour out of Miami whereas people in less metropolitan areas will have far less accessibility than me. So someone else needs to chime in on this now.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ribcage wrote:I guess my hobby of collecting gets in the way too. Where going to the theater im spending money on an overall experience more so than just a film when it comes to paying $10 minus the experience id just buy a blu ray.

As i thought about it and the times i have gone out of my way to a screening i realize im only an hour out of Miami whereas people in less metropolitan areas will have far less accessibility than me. So someone else needs to chime in on this now.

They're too busy guessing the movie from the image. :roll:

rklenseth
11420 Ratings

Post by rklenseth »

I would like to say there will always be a place for movie theaters but who can predict these things. I remember when Netflix first introduced streaming back in 2007 and everyone laughed at them and now in 2015 we have at least three major streaming services fighting over content and creating their own now. If you had told me this would happen in 2007 I wouldn't have believed you. I believe Cable/Satellite TV is in more danger over streaming than the movie theaters especially since the streaming services are gearing more toward TV series. People are still going to the big movies in theaters and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future. I think if anything this is a huge win for independent or smaller movies as they will have more avenues to make money and getting exposure by selling the rights to streaming services where before they had a limited theatrical release maybe a film festival then VHS/DVD/Blu-ray release and hopefully selling to a premium cable channel like HBO. Yeah, they may not get as much butts in the seats in theaters but honestly I think they gain more from streaming than they would from the theaters in the end.

In terms of what I prefer, I'm fine with watching most movies on my TV at home but there are just some movies I have to see in a movie theater. It really comes down to if I want to spend 30 plus dollars on a movie, some popcorn and a soda. I agree with ribcage that it is about paying for the overall experience rather than the movie itself.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

rklenseth wrote:I would like to say there will always be a place for movie theaters but who can predict these things. I remember when Netflix first introduced streaming back in 2007 and everyone laughed at them and now in 2015 we have at least three major streaming services fighting over content and creating their own now. If you had told me this would happen in 2007 I wouldn't have believed you. I believe Cable/Satellite TV is in more danger over streaming than the movie theaters especially since the streaming services are gearing more toward TV series. People are still going to the big movies in theaters and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future. I think if anything this is a huge win for independent or smaller movies as they will have more avenues to make money and getting exposure by selling the rights to streaming services where before they had a limited theatrical release maybe a film festival then VHS/DVD/Blu-ray release and hopefully selling to a premium cable channel like HBO. Yeah, they may not get as much butts in the seats in theaters but honestly I think they gain more from streaming than they would from the theaters in the end.

Good point about the Indies probably benefiting from streaming. That said, it still comes down to marketing for generating interest, and most of that still goes to theatrical releases. If they don't hit the theaters at some point, they just don't get noticed. Even if there were a good Indie fan site, would it make much difference?

In terms of what I prefer, I'm fine with watching most movies on my TV at home but there are just some movies I have to see in a movie theater. It really comes down to if I want to spend 30 plus dollars on a movie, some popcorn and a soda. I agree with ribcage that it is about paying for the overall experience rather than the movie itself.

So it sounds like, especially for your most anticipated films, you prefer the theater.

rklenseth
11420 Ratings

Post by rklenseth »

I believe as streaming becomes the more popular choice for people to watch movies I think we'll see more promotion for these movies and their streams. I've seen a few movies that Netflix has produced have TV commercials promoting their streaming releases. I haven't seen any Amazon ones yet but Amazon is doing it slightly different with at least a 3 month wait between the theatrical and streaming release whereas Netflix is putting it in theaters and streaming it at the same time. Looking at Netflix's original movies, their biggest movies have been documentaries so far. The scripted movies have all been small without any major talent. I believe their first big movie will be the "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" sequel so we'll have to see how they promote that. It is interesting how streaming has changed the movie industry.

But I know of at least two great movies I'd wished I had seen in theaters that were released both in the theater and streaming at the same time. They were "Snowpiercer" (2013) and "Predestination" (2014). I saw them streaming as they weren't available in any theaters where I live. I think both those films just got limited releases for whatever reason but I wonder if the studios that decided to only do limited releases and streaming are kicking themselves as critics liked both films as well as audiences. "Snowpiercer" also had a big name star in Chris Evans and a well rounded cast of veteran actors. I think it didn't get the trust it deserved since it was Korean production with a Korean director. They probably weren't sure how American audiences would react to that even though 95% of the film is in English with an American star and British actors for the most part.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

For me a theater has to be exceptional to justify spending the money on it. The Mayan theater in Denver is worth the money but if you go to like a Cinemark or some other mass generic brand theater, I don't see the point as it's overpriced, loud, and the experience is worse than one that you would have at home. I find that the more indie theaters have people who actually like movies and therefore aren't making tons of noise throughout the movie. I found some cool theaters in NYC and the alamo drafthouse in austin is worth it as well. Basically if a theater only shows current releases you should not go there. That sounds so fucking hipster im sorry

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Pickpocket wrote:For me a theater has to be exceptional to justify spending the money on it. The Mayan theater in Denver is worth the money but if you go to like a Cinemark or some other mass generic brand theater, I don't see the point as it's overpriced, loud, and the experience is worse than one that you would have at home. I find that the more indie theaters have people who actually like movies and therefore aren't making tons of noise throughout the movie. I found some cool theaters in NYC and the alamo drafthouse in austin is worth it as well. Basically if a theater only shows current releases you should not go there. That sounds so fucking hipster im sorry

I go to multiplexes all the time, in many locations and have never really had a problem with other patrons. I don't doubt the problem exists because I hear about it a lot. I just wonder what's going on. Hmmm, maybe it's the movies itself--but then I didn't even have a problem at Fast and Furious 7 with all the LCDers that had to be there. Oh hell, I know what it is, I only go to theaters in concealed carry states. Assholes tend to STFU especially in the dark when there might be Jodie Foster or somebody packing. Glad I figured that out.