How skewed are your tiers?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
SimonJones96
477 Ratings
Your TCI: na

How skewed are your tiers?

Post by SimonJones96 »

I find myself 9 times out of 10 always looking to watch great movies, and as a result I find that the majority of the films I watch are between 90-99% Before discovering Criticker, I had a spreadsheet where I graded films from F-A
with 97-99 =A
90-96 A-
83-89 B+
76-82 B
69-75 B-
62-68 C+
55-61 C
48-54 C-
41-47 D+
34-40 D
27-33 D-
0-26 F

The thing is, I'm always looking to watch A grade films, so as a result the most films that I watch end up being A-, with very little being below a B+. The only time I ever watch shitty movies is when I'm round a friends house and we decide to watch a shitty movie thats so bad it's entertaining, or if I'm marathoning through a film series or a directors filmography that I really get varied results. Because of this my tiers look like this:

99-98 T10
97-96 T9
95-94 T8
93-91 T7
90-87 T6
86-83 T5
82-78 T4
77-70 T3
69-45 T2
44-0 T1

Now it's amazing that half of my tiers are dedicated to great movies. I think that this is also due to the way I use Criticker, I only rate films that I have just watched.I will never rate a film that I saw in the past, way before I started looking at films critically. I've been using Criticker for a few months now, but I've been grading films for almost 2 years. While i'll have an opinion of films I've seen before then, theres no way I can attach a percentage grade to it without a rewatch.

So down to the point, what do your tiers look like? Are they relatively even, or are they completely skewed one way or another.
Last edited by SimonJones96 on Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dardan
1637 Ratings

Re: How skewed are your tiers?

Post by dardan »

My tier 5 is between the scores of 59 and 52, so my tiers aren't that skewed. It's because I ranked much of the shitty films I watched during childhood and also watch short movies. If you want to straighten out your tiers, then watching shorts is a fast way to do it. If you think 10 tiers are too much, then I've seen some people just use the ranks of 0-3 instead of 0-100 (this would likely ruin your PSI's though).

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

SimonJones96 wrote:I find myself 9/10 always looking to watch great movies, and as a result I find that the majority of the films I watch are between 90-99%

I haven't really thought about the tiers much since I started using Criticker. I just rate a film from 1-100 according to how good I thought it was. It's up to the Criticker spiderbot dudes to sort everything else out. I'd say my tiers aren't out of whack, but I really wouldn't know.

I've always tried to only watch films I think will be good, but as the total number of films watched increases into the thousands you'll find yourself watching stuff you suspect probably won't be that great, and they won't be, because that's what the majority of films are - not that great. So I think you'll find that, over time, your tiers will sort themselves out. In the meantime keep watching the greats until they run out!

For what it's worth I made a point of having a top 250 films. I don't grade films any finer than increments of 5 (when the number of films reaches a certain point the difference between say 77 and 78 becomes meaningless) so my top 10 all score a perfect 100, the remaining 40 of my top 50 are rated 95/100 and the next 200 are all rated 90/100. This way I can also compare my top 250 films with IMDb's top 250 - an interesting comparison.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Yeah, my scores are skewed because I avoid a lot of garbage down in the bottom half. I label a 7 as Hollywood average. If I watched all the teen movies, horror, stupid sit-coms and vampire/werewolf/monster crap, my average tier would probably be around 2.5.

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

my tier 6 ends at 28 and tier 5 starts at 27, and given my pass grade is 30 that sounds about right. it's going down though.

but if you're worried, watch some shorts. i see you like PTA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkeLGisUHtc

SimonJones96
477 Ratings

Post by SimonJones96 »

Hm, watching shorts seems like a good fix actually will give it a try.

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

SimonJones96 wrote:Hm, watching shorts seems like a good fix actually will give it a try.

Honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't care about it. There's nothing that needs to be "fixed". If you haven't rated (or seen) that many movies, your tiers are going to be skewed no matter what. It might even take a couple years before things are evened out. IMO you'd be better off just watching whatever the hell you want and let the tiers sort out themselves. They will eventually.

I often get the impression people watch certain movies only so their tiers can be adjusted "properly" and that weirds me out. It's not that there's anything bad about that or anything, it just seems overly neurotic. I watch movies to watch movies.

Anomaly
1894 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

Yeah I used to care more about this but now (that I have something resembling a life) I really don't. My T6-T5 boundary is at 70 rather than 69 and my T3-T2 boundary is at 53 rather than 50. That's more accurate than they were in the past, just because I've watched a lot more movies now, so my estimate of how I would rank things when I set up my custom colors was pretty accurate.

Midaso
7500 Ratings

Post by Midaso »

I noticed how skewed they were and when I got to 1000 ratings,I just went and tried to get it so there were 100 movies ranked 90-100,100 movies ranked 80-90 and so on. I figured the ratings will all smooth out eventually and get to their 'real' rating when I rewatch stuff that is now rated too low/high. I might do that again when I get to 2000...

lisa-
1907 Ratings

Post by lisa- »

i agree that "correcting" tiers is a pointless effort, but watching shorts is fun. actually, i'd almost be worried that my tiers are tipping too much in the opposite direction because of the nearly 1000 shorts i've seen.