Final Toll for Horror?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Final Toll for Horror?

Post by Stewball »

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (2016).

Could this finally be the jump the shark moment for horror as a genre. I can only hope.

dardan
1637 Ratings

Re: Final Toll for Horror?

Post by dardan »

Reminds me of Navy Seals vs. Zombies: http://www.criticker.com/film/Navy_SEALs_vs_Zombies/

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Dardan wrote:Reminds me of Navy Seals vs. Zombies: http://www.criticker.com/film/Navy_SEALs_vs_Zombies/

That obviously didn't take, but then SEALs aren't exactly a treasured bit of English Literature which has existed up until now in a different dimension in space and time. But you're right, probably not--yet hope springs eternal, what.

mattorama12
3095 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

I saw a preview for it before The Revenant. Almost my entire theater burst out into laughter when they showed the title. From the previews, it seems they're going to play it totally straight, which is a travesty. Honestly though, this seems less ridiculous than that Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter movie that came out a few years ago.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

1) Horror has always been largely populated by schlock and garbage. Horror as a genre will never die, and even if it could, it would take a hell of a lot more than inserting zombie mayhem into a literary classic to do it.

2) The movie is an adaptation of the book, which came out in 2009. If anyone is likely to be really disappointed in this, they're people who are book lovers and hence have already had a few years to get over it.

joseywales
4142 Ratings

Post by joseywales »

Well said, Denizen.
Horror, as a genre, will never die out -- people LOVE to be scared. It makes a lot of us feel alive. If this is truly the way you feel about the genre, Stewball, stop watching them. Your opinion is not needed.

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

joseywales wrote: -- people LOVE to be scared. It makes a lot of us feel alive.

Man, I wish I could be scared at a horror film, but it's never happened since my early teens. I really wish I could find one - just one - that I find scary. I gave up looking years ago, but if anyone has a recommendation I'm listening...

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

joseywales wrote:Well said, Denizen.
Horror, as a genre, will never die out -- people LOVE to be scared. It makes a lot of us feel alive. If this is truly the way you feel about the genre, Stewball, stop watching them. Your opinion is not needed.

Sorry your feel threatened, but I don't understand why you get to express your opinion and I don't. And even if I could get scared at a movie, I don't know why I'd want to. Besides, that's sort of the point, most modern horror is low budget (the cheapest genre there is), and they have to use underhanded volume BOO-blasts as monsters jumping off the edge of the screen to make us think being zapped is horror. Or do horror fans get so immersed they forget they're in a theater and think it's really happening? Almost all of it is LCD stuff.

And, btw, I have stopped watching them, except for what's usually an annual exception where I pick what might be a promising one and go see it. So far, my disparaging boycott continues ever more justified. But of course that's just MNTBHO. 8-)

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

Rumplesink wrote:
joseywales wrote: -- people LOVE to be scared. It makes a lot of us feel alive.

Man, I wish I could be scared at a horror film, but it's never happened since my early teens. I really wish I could find one - just one - that I find scary. I gave up looking years ago, but if anyone has a recommendation I'm listening...

I recommend not watching them in a theater. Ever. I'm rarely scared myself. It does take allowing yourself to be immersed, which is why iI won't watch them in theaters...being surrounded by people screaming at cat scares is only going to make you cynically laugh at the whole thing. The last time I was scared by a movie was The Woman in Black, which actually is full of what should have been cheap scares but I love the gothic Hammer asthetic and found that immersion. My wife still makes fun of me for it.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ribcage wrote:I recommend not watching them in a theater. Ever. I'm rarely scared myself. It does take allowing yourself to be immersed, which is why iI won't watch them in theaters...being surrounded by people screaming at cat scares is only going to make you cynically laugh at the whole thing.

Bingo, you need go no further. And sooner or later, that cynicism is going to carry over to your home theater. Sorry. Sounds like you have a sensible wife.

And something else about horror, it sucks up too much oxygen. Hollywood has enough smog as it is.

Carry on.