An observation -- TV series on Criticker

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
nauru
1667 Ratings
Your TCI: na

An observation -- TV series on Criticker

Post by nauru »

When you explore the full database of films on Criticker and sort by number of rankings, a rather predictable group rises to the top. Classics, mega-blockbusters, and other really famous films. Of the top 100 I've seen around 85-90 of them, and I've at least heard of all of all the others.

When I did the same thing for TV series, there's almost nothing in the list that I've even heard of. The Wire, Lost, the Walking Dead, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones are on the first page, but not nearly as high on the list as I would have expected. The number one most ranked TV series is something I've never even heard anything about before, ever.

I suppose this is encouraging, since finding good TV is so difficult, and, in my experience, requires much more investment of time than finding good films. Still a bit strange though. Maybe it'll take a couple of years for the rankings to sort themselves out.
Last edited by nauru on Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Re: An observtion -- TV series on criticker

Post by paulofilmo »

The only one I don't know from the first column is John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns.
Five of them are Sherlock Holmes episodes (feature length TV Specials that have been on Criticker for a while).

FLCL has been on Criticker since 2006. And Black Mirror, since 2012.

Go watch Black Mirror!

Velvet Crowe
2628 Ratings

Re: An observation -- TV series on Criticker

Post by Velvet Crowe »

The thing is that TV series don't get as much ratings by users than what movies do. There are a lot of casual moviegoers who rate popular movies high on this website and a lot of them also don't routinely update. Not to mention that there are a number of active users who don't update their account with TV series as well, so there's that too.

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

DrewTheDude wrote:Not to mention that there are a number of active users who don't update their account with TV series as well, so there's that too.

Yes. I don't rate TV shows at all. I did submit the TV show Chorlton & The Wheelies here though, but so far nobody has rated it. So someone should rate that show. Anyone? Anyone? I'm looking at you guys Maaxwell, and Paulofilmo. ;)

AFlickering
3002 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

paulofilmo already touched on the answer to this, but to clarify, more or less all of the shows you're talking about have been on here for years because they were TV specials or mini-series. their number of rankings has nothing to do with popularity. you can check when this is the case by sorting the reviews by 'date ranked'.