13 Great Movies That Weren't Acknowledged by the Oscars

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
MacSwell
2732 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: 13 Great Movies That Weren't Acknowledged by the Oscars

Post by MacSwell »

Bojangles wrote:FWIW, the church scene in The Kingsmen was the most disgusting scene of violence that I think I've ever seen, and I'm not sure why. I don't remember the exact context of the scene--didn't they bait the church goers into violence and then massacred them for sport, or practice or something? Straw poll: Which psychopathic mass murderer do you think enjoys that scene more: James Holmes or Anders Breivik?

I think that's a little strong. The context was (silly as it sounds) that the evil cell phone cards were causing all the people in the church to go mad with violent rage, including the Kingsman Colin Firth - he just happened to be far better at killing. Violence on film can be enjoyed by even the most non-violent people.

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

Yah, I'm not saying that the scene is enjoyed exclusively by psycho killers. It just crossed my subjective line of good taste to such a large degree that it conjured thoughts of real life mass shootings. Violence that is cartoonish or has gritty realism, I'm usually okay with it. But that scene had some unholy mix of realism and fun that didn't sit right with me. It was hard to watch. If someone with a sick mind was looking for a cinematic scene of violence to revel in, I can't imagine a more perfect one than that.

---

Nice video brickwall. :)

bowfinger
2847 Ratings

Post by bowfinger »

Bojangles wrote:Yah, I'm not saying that the scene is enjoyed exclusively by psycho killers. It just crossed my subjective line of good taste to such a large degree that it conjured thoughts of real life mass shootings. Violence that is cartoonish or has gritty realism, I'm usually okay with it. But that scene had some unholy mix of realism and fun that didn't sit right with me. It was hard to watch. If someone with a sick mind was looking for a cinematic scene of violence to revel in, I can't imagine a more perfect one than that.

---

Nice video brickwall. :)

Nice vid indeed! I can't even imagine the time Brick invested on the editing alone.

As for the church scene, I think I'd agree with you in principal when it comes to portrayal of violence on film, but I also disagree on this scene in particular despite your valid points. I remember having a blast here, it came out of nowhere, and was so unlike Firth, my brain just started giggling and it went on and on. I think the reason it was fun is because you have to think of it in context of intertextuality, and that scene just shouldn't have been there. Hence the shock effect.

And I also thought it had a very balanced mix of cartoonish and gritty violence, you know, like in a superhero movie, but an overdose at that. I watched it only once when it first came out, and I don't remember any blood. Not saying there wasn't any, just saying can't remember, because that's not what it was about.

But yeah, you can love it or hate it, sure.

JSchlansky
4303 Ratings

Post by JSchlansky »

I'm glad you guys liked the video, thanks for the feedback