Favorite Mini-Reviews

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Favorite Mini-Reviews

Post by cagedwisdom »

Yeah, I agree with Pickpocket.. Criticizing a generally well-liked film might be edgy if you argument well for it, but when you're just tossing out random criticism it's just sad.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

It probably is sad. Nevermind.

*leaves knitting circle*

JooJoo
6022 Ratings

Post by JooJoo »

No, you can toss out a random thought in a review and be funny - even if it hurts the feelings of people online.

iceblox
3591 Ratings

Post by iceblox »

After all this talk, I had to look up 'Stain' myself. I don't think I've ever seen so many movies being ranked at 0 by anyone else and I don't agree to some of this reviews too. But that said, I think he is entitled to his opinion like everyone else, since he is ranking movies based on his taste and enjoyment, and not someone else's. Insisting that someone else should conform to your tastes and way of thinking is really lame.

Spunkie
5477 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

The issue is the manner used in reviews like this :
Moulin Rouge!
A complete mess. The good musicals are not edited with a Veg-O-Matic. The shoehorning of contemporary songs into this milieu comes off as stupid and a blatant sop to the 13-year-olds.

Are we 13 year olds if we liked it because of the very same thing? I don't think he's messing with other people. It's just that he uses playful exagerration to make a point. There is no reason to be heart-broken about anything.

Wait a minute, isn't this a topic about our favorite reviews? Let's pass it along :).

Spunkie
5477 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

Here's a few reviews of my liking :

Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe
frederic_g54 Hey, I have a bet going on: If the euro falls to 0.85 dollars, I'll have to shave a cow (don't know if that's even possible, maybe a sheep). I liked the "Gold Rush" comparisons, quite a special film...

Mocks the man who mocks himself, then honestly pronounces his liking of the stuff.

Stroszek
Moribunny Herzog is the heavy artillery of New German Cinema, he is most readily associated with all things larger-than-life, like volcanoes and raving lunatics. Stroszek is a movie that's just as small as life, and what do you know - Herzog does just as well in dealing with simple people as do Fassbinder or Wenders, that is, brilliantly. It's a highly original, spellbinding, utterly harrowing tale about the doomed sort of people who just can't get along in this world. S. and Scheitz are astonishing.

I didn't even like the movie, but his insight is more than welcome.

Withnail & I
-BigEvil-
A very intelligent comedy with almost tragic elements. The witty writing and great acting push the movie to the next level. Richard E. Grant is hilariously wasted throughout, while Paul McGann provides a sympathetic point of view. I also love Richard Griffith's farcical portrayal of the upper-class Uncle Monty. It's such a multifaceted movie that it at once comes off as comedy, tragedy, farce, and even stoner flick. Did you see the J Ralph Brown twists up at the end?! Sweeet.

Every major thing about the movie in a few words.

Napoléon
FitFortDanga So masterfully filmed, it's mind-blowing. The energy, intensity, quality and brilliance never lets up. Gance's command of cinematic language is awe-inspiring. Cross-cutting, rapid editing, flashbacks, superimpositions and the triple-screen ending; he exploits technique to the fullest to enhance his storytelling. And a great story it is, too, with one of history's most fascinating characters at the center. A compelling tale full of drama, intrigue, action, comedy and romance.

Analytical thinking.

Beowulf
AFlickering At worst it's fucking hilarious, with ridiculous CGI, OTT melodramatic dialogue/voice acting and Jolie's high heels, but occasionally "Beowulf" achieves something greater in its attempt to be more than just an adaptation of a myth. It speculates upon the dark secrets that lay beneath the glorious legend - inc. the flaws and frailties of the human behind the hero, and the human inability to learn from or face up to its mistakes - with lots of anti-Christian subtext to boot.

While everyone is messing with the technicalities, he goes for the subtext angle and very rightfully so.

Anchorman
barney76 This is a GREAT movie...if you like to see grown men act like 12 year olds...mentally retarded 12 year olds... Most of the characters come off as non-human freakazoids who, in the real world, would have been institutionalized after five minutes and the "jokes" are just horrible as in "You've got a massive erection - O RLY? Let's dwell on that through 30 lines of dialog!" Christina Applegate was OK, but that doesn't make this predictable, unfunny and extremely annoying TURD into a decent movie.

Honest anger

Brazil
pilgermann Probably my favorite film. I can't give much of an itelligent sounding review, but this film overwhelms me with its visuals, its music, its characters, and its dreams both nightmarish and lovely. If I have some gripes, it'd be with some poor foley work, and a bad musical cue during the big kiss scene, otherwise I love this film to death and watch it a couple of times a year

Honest admiration.

In the Heat of the Sun
FitFortDanga
In some ways a fairly typical adolescent coming-of-age story, but with some intriguing twists that hoist it above the average. The narrator throws you some curveballs and suggests a romanticized fantasy. It calls the nature of memory into question. The cinematography is fantastic, it plays a lot with frames-within-a-frame. Like Devils on the Doorstep, this one has a light comic feel but gets astoundingly dark at times. The ending in particular is very atypical for a story of this nature.

Intriguing enough to drive me towards the movie. By the way this movie turned out to be one of my favorite from far east directors.

frederic_g54
3006 Ratings

Post by frederic_g54 »

Spunkie wrote: Wait a minute, isn't this a topic about our favorite reviews? Let's pass it along :).

Right on Spunkie, in the words of Chris Crocker:

(crying) "Leave STAIN alone !!!"

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

I forgot to post the best review I've ever seen. It's from Paul Haggis's Crash from Gravy Maximus....

WHITE PEOPLE BLACK PEOPLE MEXICAN PEOPLE ASIAN PEOPLE WHITE PEOPLE BLACK PEOPLE MEXICAN PEOPLE ASIAN PEOPLE WHITE PEOPLE BLACK PEOPLE MEXICAN PEOPLE ASIAN PEOPLE

I love that.

Spunkie
5477 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

Oh yeah! The famous one love review xD.

Stain
5623 Ratings

Post by Stain »

<MUSIC-TAG RECORDING_ARTIST=The Hanson Brothers;TITLE=Bad>

Pickpocket wrote:I found him after reviewing Man On Wire which he simply said "So what?" I mean, if you aren't impressed by a guy walking on a wire between the world trade centers towers then what will impress you?

Uh... cracking the human genotype. Making a film like I Served the King of England. Being so good at math that you break Enigma, and therefore likely contributing more to the Allied victory in World War II than Churchill or FDR.

Pickpocket wrote:
God those reviews are awful.

Well, to use a line from Chicken Run: awy've gawne bright red! :)