Christmas movies

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Philip
541 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Christmas movies

Post by Philip »

Besides the obvious choice of Die Hard, which movies get you in to that Christmas mood? "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is a personal favorite, even though I'm not sure i classifies as a movie.

MmzHrrdb

Re: Christmas movies

Post by MmzHrrdb »

A Charlie Brown Christmas owns. I like How the Grinch Stole Christmas, too. A Christmas Story is probably my favorite, though.

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

Three of the films that are shown on Norwegian TV every year on Christmas Eve between 11AM and 6PM that my family has always watched that really get me into the Christmas mood:

Tri orísky pro Popelku (1973) aka Three Nuts for Cinderella
Sagan om Karl-Bertil Jonssons Julafton (1975) aka Christopher's Christmas Mission (Not yet added here at Criticker from what I can see, but I'll probably add it tomorow after re-watching it)
Reisen til julestjernen (1976) aka The Journey to the Christmas Star (also not in the Criticker database..)

And a short that is sent every year on December 23rd which I just watched, that's also fantastic:

Dinner for One (1963)

It's not Christmas for me without any of these films. Great stuff. :)

Philip
541 Ratings

Post by Philip »

"A Christmas Story" is now on my remembered list. Actually saw the Angry Aliens 30 sec bunny version of it some time ago and found it charming. Gave away most of the plot twists though, so I guess that might have been a bad move.

"Sagan om Karl-Bertil Jonssons Julafton (1975)" runs in Sweden as well, along with "Mickey's Trailer" and some old Donald Duck episodes. They're a mandatory watch to most Swedes, but I don't think they are that universaly Christmasy. Still, as you say, without some movies it just isn't Christmas.

whatismyname
2153 Ratings

Post by whatismyname »

Christmas Story is by far my favorite. Seems to be on nonstop this time of year (although I haven't seen it on while flipping the channels yet).

cagedwisdom
2090 Ratings

Post by cagedwisdom »

Philip wrote:"Sagan om Karl-Bertil Jonssons Julafton (1975)" runs in Sweden as well, along with "Mickey's Trailer" and some old Donald Duck episodes. They're a mandatory watch to most Swedes, but I don't think they are that universaly Christmasy. Still, as you say, without some movies it just isn't Christmas.

I honestly don't think they showed it on Norwegian TV on Christmas until 3, maybe 4 years ago. They've showed it every year since though, and they will tomorow. In very few viewings it has become probably the highlight of Christmas Eve for me. In Norway and probably Sweden as well, unlike a hell-load of other countries, Christmas Eve is what is generally considered "christmas" with opening of presents and whatnot, and not Christmas Day, so that's saying a lot.

I absolutely love that film though, everything from the great Swedish dialect of the narrator (I can't help but love the Swedish language in general) and it's dry Scandinavian humor fills me with general happiness.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Besides all of the common clay classics, im gonna have to say the movie that really gets me in the christmas mood has to be Home Alone.

frederic_g54
3013 Ratings

Post by frederic_g54 »

i saw this vid yesterday: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/3226-top-12-greatest-christmas-specials (his nostalgia vids are hilarious btw)

He made me wanna see all these short films, including "The Little Matchgirl" (which you find on youtube), "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!" (which I had never seen before... I celebrate hanukkah ;) ) and "A Charlie Brown Christmas" which was my favorite. I would've added "The Nightmare Before Christmas" to that list, but everything else seems to belong there.

Happy Chrismukkah to all you critickers !!!

peace