Breaking Down the Ratings

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
hellboy76
6339 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Breaking Down the Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

I know this probably isn't a real possibility (and even if it was, would be most likely be more trouble than it's worth) but I wanted to see if I am the only one who has a desire to break down rankings even further. I may have posted this previously somewhere else, its been rattling around in my brain though so apologies if its a duplicate.

I have a secret nerd dream that there will be features where you rank each aspect:

Individual actor performance
Writing
Directing
Editing
Cinematography

and so on, which create (averaged out) the score for a movie. This way, your best actors when sorting are not always just actors fortunate to be in very good films (not to say they weren't a reason the film was well but god dammit I would not choose John Ratzenberger as one of my top ten actors if pressed). I suppose you can even have an override for the final score if the sum is greater than its parts.

This would allow discussion on the greatest individual performances with easily accessible chart data etc.

Am I the only one wanting to see this sort of detail? Probably. Just me and the voices in my head.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: Breaking Down the Ratings

Post by mpowell »

This has been suggested in the past, and it's in our list of possible future enhancements. If we do implement it, it's likely to be in a way that doesn't affect the PSIs.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: Breaking Down the Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Personally, I dislike this suggestion.

Ranking a movie piecemeal feels meaningless to me, especially since I can't judge something like editing or even cinemaphotography in a vacuum. Hell, it's often impossible to judge acting if it occurs in a terrible script with no depth to any character.

I would rather just rank the movies as a whole.

I suppose if there is a way to introduce this functionality where it's optional for those who want it, and can be ignored by those who don't, then go for it. Otherwise, I'm against it.