Most Underrated Actors/Actresses

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
frederic_g54
3013 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Most Underrated Actors/Actresses

Post by frederic_g54 »

Pickpocket wrote:Cranston is really underrated. I mean compare him in Breaking Bad to Malcolm in the Middle. Huge difference.

Versatile ? absolutely, I thought he was the funniest character in MitM and he's just as great
as the chemistry teacher/criminal in BB.

but I meant film-wise

If Hugh Laurie (just an example) would star in a film today, I'd be staring at his character House.

obviously, I would give any film featuring Cranston a shot, just because he's a great actor.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

frederic_g54 wrote:
Pickpocket wrote:Cranston is really underrated. I mean compare him in Breaking Bad to Malcolm in the Middle. Huge difference.

Versatile ? absolutely, I thought he was the funniest character in MitM and he's just as great
as the chemistry teacher/criminal in BB.

but I meant film-wise

If Hugh Laurie (just an example) would star in a film today, I'd be staring at his character House.

obviously, I would give any film featuring Cranston a shot, just because he's a great actor.

ah yeah, i see what you meant now. Yeah, it's often hard for actors to break away from the TV roles they have been doing for so long.

frederic_g54
3013 Ratings

Post by frederic_g54 »

Yep, few actors make a successful transition from television to film. I think of Depp, Clooney,...

but in my case, that was easy to overlook, never saw "21 Jump Street" or "E.R." (well, the episodes featuring Clooney) and not planning to.

prowler
938 Ratings

Post by prowler »

One of my faves, if not THE favourite actor is Peter Falk. Everyone knows him as Columbo, and he did an awesome job with that character, but seeing him in Cassavetes' 'a woman under the influence' and in the regrettably obscure 'tune in tomorrow' really put him at the top for me.
miss jesus wrote:Some typically overlooked yet amazing actors I would add would be most of Cassavetes' stable, with special loving attention to the talents of Gena Rowlands, Peter Falk, and Timothy Carey.
yep.

oh and yeah, you can chalk up another actor with no difficulty jumping between TV and film :)

tef
1361 Ratings

Post by tef »

I love Peter Falk. Episode 2 of the second season of Columbo was so fucking good I couldn't believe it.

bernie20
135 Ratings

Post by bernie20 »

Personally I feel Winona Ryder is now underrated. She was wonderful in films in the 80s and 90s. Then she just fell off the radar. She was in Black Swan but who would have known? The films that are her most recent (that I've seen) she just isn't the same as before.

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

Chris Cooper.