Favorite Movie Scenes

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
T3chno
10 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Favorite Movie Scenes

Post by T3chno »

For my personal favorite movie, I'd have to go with Donnie Darko. Freakin' love it.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

T3chno wrote:For my personal favorite movie, I'd have to go with Donnie Darko. Freakin' love it.

I agree that movie is very good.

td888
3955 Ratings

Post by td888 »

On of my favourite scene's is the ending of Cobra Verde.

Also the 'the nuns' choir brought a tear to my eye when I saw it the first time. But that's more because I spend some years in Africa myself. This film brought a lot of memories and feelings back.

In itself this scene is not so powerful, but how it's placed in the movie gives a different dimension to Klaus Kinski's character.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

TheDenizen wrote:if you're interested in Peckinpah, I'd say Wild Bunch and Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia are his two best. :mrgreen:

I just saw Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia and I liked it. It's at the top of my 8th tier, just narrowly missing my 9th (although I might rerank it higher as I've had a little bit more time to think about it). I thought Warren Oates was great and there were some really awesome scenes, especially the scene where [spoiler]Oates gets stopped by Alfredo's family and the shootout that ensues[/spoiler]. I also found the movie to be rather deep for a movie of it's kind.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Sweet, glad you liked it!

by Devol
1140 Ratings

Post by by Devol »

Near the end of "Five Easy Pieces". While I'm not the most rabid fan of Nicholson, he totally shit-kicked me in that scene where he tries to make peace with his long-estranged, mute father, played by Will Geer. It's one continuous shot of him talking to Geer, and the way he SO GRADUALLY breaks down is already put a fucking lump in my throat. That is my defintion of acting. Check out that film and see if you can keep a dry eye during that scene. Ok ok I'm a big softie too, I guess - whatever.

Also reminds me of Sally Field at the end of "Sybil" where she repeatedly yells "I hate her!" upon realising the main wellspring of her troubles. The primal intensity of it was absolutely galvanizing.

Oh - there's merrier shit, too, coming.

by Devol
1140 Ratings

Post by by Devol »

The opening tracking shots in "The Player", "Touch of Evil", and "Boogie Nights", and the ones in "Goodfellas" and "Weekend". Those are scenes, aren't they? Couldn't find a camera shot thread. Can't remember the Max Ophuls film that had a nifty tracking shot of a waiter holding aloft a tray and zipping through a crowd.

in "The Straight Story", Richard Farnsworth around a fire at night, telling a hitchhiker about his take on family.

the "Is it safe?" hijinks in "Marathon Man"

the bowling alley scene in ""There Will be Blood"

Peter Finch's "I'm mad as hell" rant in "Network"

the opening shot in Polanski's "MacBeth" of the endless tidal flat, as a stick enters the frame from (I think) top right - the witchy-poo's stick!

Ellen Burstyn and Kris Kristofferson's big argument in the restaurant near the end of "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore".

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

by Devol wrote:The opening tracking shots in "The Player", "Touch of Evil", and "Boogie Nights", and the ones in "Goodfellas" and "Weekend". Those are scenes, aren't they? Couldn't find a camera shot thread. Can't remember the Max Ophuls film that had a nifty tracking shot of a waiter holding aloft a tray and zipping through a crowd.

in "The Straight Story", Richard Farnsworth around a fire at night, telling a hitchhiker about his take on family.

the "Is it safe?" hijinks in "Marathon Man"

the bowling alley scene in ""There Will be Blood"

Peter Finch's "I'm mad as hell" rant in "Network"

the opening shot in Polanski's "MacBeth" of the endless tidal flat, as a stick enters the frame from (I think) top right - the witchy-poo's stick!

Ellen Burstyn and Kris Kristofferson's big argument in the restaurant near the end of "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore".

Of those I've seen they are good. Especially the end of There Will Be Blood. Daniel Day-Lewis was awesome in that scene.

Ocelot
2307 Ratings

Post by Ocelot »

Pretty much every scene in Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion. God that movie is incredible.

by Devol
1140 Ratings

Post by by Devol »

two scenes from "Tin Drum".........the first one I almost put in the "most disturbing" thread, where Agnes sits down to dinner with her husband, whom she had just screwed around on with his brother - barely moments before the meal - and the meal itself! EELS! She insists on having a good helping, despite her previous vomiting repulsion to them, and, to her husband's and housekeeper's astonishment, proceeds to absolutely maow down on them, with the most unforgettable, unblinking, staring-straight-ahead look of........losing it? which was indeed the case, totally going kookoo, and the look in her eyes is one that is so intensely in some far away land. Her skin has the most ghostly white pallor (great lighting!). She doesn't say a word. Basically - one heavy fucking meal. Dear lord I hope she didn't have to do too many takes!

The other scene from TD is earlier on, where Agnes hooks up with her brother-in-law in a hotel room. She enters the room and closes the door behind her. Buddy's already at the bed. For a second they just look at each other, and then begin to disrobe, maintaining their substantial distance from one another. I love the way they gradually increase the speed of their stripping - those pesky, time-consuming buttons that the two of them are too methodically German to just tear right off. They lock eyes during this seething-with-volcanic-lust strip show, and to contrast this animal ferocity with the distance they keep between themselves makes for a tension that is almost palpable. You're on the edge of your seat, and like, "ok! get it on, you two!" and when they finally DO get down to business, Oscar, her uber-brat of a son, spies on them from a clock tower, across the street from their window, and does that annoying scream, pointing like the family guy monkey.

Welles clumsily groping at shit in the bedroom-destroying scene near the end of "Citizen Kane". Let's hope not too many takes for that one either.

the only scene I remember from "True Romance" where Hopper lectures Walken about his Moor roots.