The Blair Witch Project- My Review

500 character mini-reviews cramping your style? Share your thoughts in full in this forum!
Lady Moe
740 Ratings
Your TCI: na

The Blair Witch Project- My Review

Post by Lady Moe »

It had been over 10 years since this film came out before I finally got to see it...

It exceeded my expectations.

"The Blair Witch Project" tells about three young adults wandering into the woods of the former town of Blair, Maryland. They are making a documentary about the Blair Witch legend. The group gets lost and experience many strange incidents.

I can't really explain what happens in the movie. It would give away everything. Plus, it's more about the experience rather than the actual story progression. The actors are very natural in their roles, and, since this was made out to be real, they really work. Heather Donahue, in particular, is very good.

This movie is not only scary, but very smart. Keeping the strange occurrences off-camera is a nod to the old saying of "less is more" (which is something that modern horror directors, such as Eli Roth, can learn from). I highly recommend this film to any fan of horror movies.

If you're going to watch it, get into the mood. Believe every word of it. It's how it was meant to be viewed.

In my opinion, the last great American Horror Film.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Re: The Blair Witch Project- My Review

Post by TheDenizen »

Now go watch Cannibal Holocaust.

cameron326
1094 Ratings

Post by cameron326 »

I liked this film, too. You kind of feel a bit disappointed at the end becasue you don't see the witch or any ghouls or whatever, despite having to had put up with the charcters paranoid hysterical rantings and freak outs for an hour and a half.

But had they showed anything else, it could only have been a disappointment. As you implied, I think some films are best appreciated if you just turn of your brain (or at least the logical part that likes to raionalise and evaluate) and let yourself be immersed by the situation. The documentary style and decent acting made it easy to place yourself in the characters shoes. And the setting - being hunted through a forest by a demented witch in the dark, was more than enough to make it a very unnerving horror.

td888
3958 Ratings

Post by td888 »

TheDenizen wrote:Now go watch Cannibal Holocaust.

You mean this one?
http://www.criticker.com/film/Cannibal_Holocaust/

PSI is not very good, but I like the premise. It's in my queue now.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

td888 wrote:
TheDenizen wrote:Now go watch Cannibal Holocaust.

You mean this one?
http://www.criticker.com/film/Cannibal_Holocaust/

PSI is not very good, but I like the premise. It's in my queue now.

If there's another film called Cannibal Holocaust, I'd love to know about it ;) It's an unpleasant and brutal film packed with disgusting gore and real animal killings, but it's essential viewing for any horror junkies or fans of Blair Witch who want to see where the idea came from.

td888
3958 Ratings

Post by td888 »

There's Cannibal holocaust 2:

http://www.criticker.com/film/Natura_contro/

Looks like an Italian film

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Yeah there's another film called Amazonia: The Catherine Miles Story that was distributed as Cannibal Holocaust 2 for a while as well. Neither are official sequels.

:geek:

Lady Moe
740 Ratings

Post by Lady Moe »

maybe someday I'll watch Cannibal Holocaust. I'm not crazy about seeing real animals die on screen just to make a movie, though

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

The 2 disc Deluxe edition from Grindhouse Releasing features an option for the "Animal Cruelty Free" version with the offending scenes snipped. :)

Lady Moe
740 Ratings

Post by Lady Moe »

yeah but then I'd actually be paying these people for what they did :lol: