Psychological movies and/or twists

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
Trash Puppet
3672 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Psychological movies and/or twists

Post by Trash Puppet »

Stewball wrote:I think its fair to say that Kaye isn't a sentimentalist, so either he's shifting, or there's something else going on here.

Are you being sarcastic or am I misinterpreting what you're saying? I've only seen American History X, Lake of Fire, and of course Detachment, but (even in Lake of Fire) he had some kind of emotional sentiment.
Stewball wrote: And how much greater an obstacle could one have to one's love than being sent away. And that 'ott' message was greatly accentuated by the downer events that preceded the ending, especially, especially, the abduction scene. And.....Gayle was perfectly cast for the role, especially the abduction scene and that climactic moment which had and needed no lines. I was glad I was a dark theater.

I never really felt comfortable with their relationship until the very end. He (Henry Barthes) came off as this manly, brooding, emotionless hero, and she the hooker with a heart of gold (imo). I don't mean to sound cynical (because I really really liked this film), but for me it felt a little shallow...in places.
The part I found over the top, was pretty much Meredith's whole character. Just because she was fat, artsy and her father didn't love her, she was obviously going to be bullied at school and have no friends what so ever. And the frowny cake thing nearly made me laugh, even though I was close to crying by that point, I'm not sure if that's good or bad...
Stewball wrote:I just went to your page and noticed you'd just put up a 3 for The Devil's Advocate. Mind if I ask.....? seein's how I may have had something to do with you viewing it.

Of course, you were the soul reason for me watching it! Erm...I rated it 3 because the ending reminded me of every shitty 90's movie I ever watched at Christmas, and even though the film was decent before that point, I was too pissed off to rate it any higher. I might reconsider my rating when I've cooled off.
Stewball wrote:Nice avatar btw. That's what they mean by tickling the ivories?

Smooth. Real smoth... :lol:
Also, my apologise for the late reply.

by Devol
1140 Ratings

Post by by Devol »

Affliction
The Conversation
Diabolique
The close-up of Kevin Spacey's *******SPOILER?****** limp changing to a walk at the end of "Usual Suspects" wasn't bad.
The big "reveal" at the end of Last Seduction - about buddy having hooked up in the past with a tranny - was weak.
In Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - the suitcase getting dumped on the side of the road. Sure - she wasn't keeping the best company, but I guess it was the sudden unceremoniousness of the ending that made me go "whoa".
Donald Sutherland's wail at the end of Invasion of Body Snatchers
the final sin in Seven

mwgerb
2074 Ratings

Post by mwgerb »

by Devol wrote:Donald Sutherland's wail at the end of Invasion of Body Snatchers

Oh God, I forgot that. Yeah, that's way up there on my list of twists.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Baby Fish wrote:I never really felt comfortable with their relationship until the very end. He (Henry Barthes) came off as this manly, brooding, emotionless hero, and she the hooker with a heart of gold (imo). I don't mean to sound cynical (because I really really liked this film), but for me it felt a little shallow...in places.

***spoilers follow***

I didn't feel comfortable either, after all, he was keeping her at arm's length for several reasons--she's a hooker/damaged goods, she took advantage of his generosity (bringing in a John to his apartment), he's a teacher with a hooker in his apartment, she was pushy, and most of all he had her taken away. And what was he feeling for her, friendship, fatherly love or sexual attraction.

Some amazing facts about Sami Gayle (Erica), she was only 15 when it, her first theatrical effort, was filmed, she's a regular on the TV series "Blue Bloods", she's home schooled (common I suppose for celebrities), supposed to be an excellent singer and dancer, and a nationally ranked debater. Some people make me sick.....and love them at the same time.

The part I found over the top, was pretty much Meredith's whole character. Just because she was fat, artsy and her father didn't love her, she was obviously going to be bullied at school and have no friends what so ever. And the frowny cake thing nearly made me laugh, even though I was close to crying by that point, I'm not sure if that's good or bad...

The irony in the underlined part there is important. A piece of insider information that's really helpful is the fact that the girl who played Meridith is the director's, Tony Kaye's, daughter who he'd abandoned for a time, along with her mother, when she was young. That little fact is so complex it blows my mind, but it explains the angst she captured so perfectly. The really sad part is Barthes wasn't able to connect with her, primarily because of the social taboos surrounding teacher/student relationships, especially "touching" a student--and her being fat made her less endearing. The touching incident is what prompted him to have Erica taken away--but then Meridith's suicide, and his guilt over his letting his fear and her not being as attractive keep him from helping her more, prompted him to bring Erica back, leading up to that no-holds-bared ultra-climactic scene. That's the scene I thought you meant was over the top, which it was, but very righteously so. Again, Erica was the crucial character in the film and the one who was cast first.

Of course, you were the soul reason for me watching it! Erm...I rated it 3 because the ending reminded me of every shitty 90's movie I ever watched at Christmas, and even though the film was decent before that point, I was too pissed off to rate it any higher. I might reconsider my rating when I've cooled off.

***more spoilers***

It might interest you to know that yours was my exact reaction the first time I saw it. "What....suicide!!" It just didn't fit. It bugged me for weeks until I realized it was one of the greatest moral lessons I've ever come across in a movie. Vanity is not the Devil's favorite sin, it's the ONLY sin, and that's what he was killing, his vanity--so that he could do the right thing in the trial of the pedophile he was defending. It was after all an imaginary thought/daydream sequence he'd gone through from the point when he placed his wedding ring on the shelf in the washroom, until he "woke up" again looking at it after going through all of that, knowing what he had to do.