Moneyball

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
stuie299
1454 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Moneyball

Post by stuie299 »

cameron326 wrote:i thought Moneyball came off as an above average made for TV movie. How it was considered by many as among the best of that year I find baffling.

I can see why you'd say that, but for a sports movie it made me care a lot more than most.

hellboy76
6340 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

stuie299 wrote:
cameron326 wrote:i thought Moneyball came off as an above average made for TV movie. How it was considered by many as among the best of that year I find baffling.

I can see why you'd say that, but for a sports movie it made me care a lot more than most.

This sums it up pretty well. Never underestimate the power of sports and the hold it has on people, to raise a movie that might otherwise be less than, or even mediocre. Look at Field of Dreams, Hoosiers, Rudy etc.

My main issue is it acted as if ONLY sabermetric players helped that team. There is barely a mention of Miguel Tejada who WON the MVP or the three headed monster pitching staff. Also one of the suggested spellings for Tejada in Chrome spellchecker ; Teabag.

stuie299
1454 Ratings

Post by stuie299 »

hellboy76 wrote:
stuie299 wrote:

This sums it up pretty well. Never underestimate the power of sports and the hold it has on people, to raise a movie that might otherwise be less than, or even mediocre. Look at Field of Dreams, Hoosiers, Rudy etc.

My main issue is it acted as if ONLY sabermetric players helped that team. There is barely a mention of Miguel Tejada who WON the MVP or the three headed monster pitching staff. Also one of the suggested spellings for Tejada in Chrome spellchecker ; Teabag.

I was more or less saying that for a sports movie it was actually original thus making me care. It was also written by one of my favorite screenwriters Aaron Sorkin. So it had that going for it as well.

hellboy76
6340 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

stuie299 wrote:I was more or less saying that for a sports movie it was actually original thus making me care. It was also written by one of my favorite screenwriters Aaron Sorkin. So it had that going for it as well.

Right, I wasn't clear in that I was hijacking your thought and going further on the effect sports movies have on people in general. Also they mostly deal with underdogs which helps. I am trying to think of any straight sports movies that superb examples of writing, acting or directing.

Raging Bull and maybe Rocky?

stuie299
1454 Ratings

Post by stuie299 »

hellboy76 wrote:
stuie299 wrote:I was more or less saying that for a sports movie it was actually original thus making me care. It was also written by one of my favorite screenwriters Aaron Sorkin. So it had that going for it as well.

Right, I wasn't clear in that I was hijacking your thought and going further on the effect sports movies have on people in general. Also they mostly deal with underdogs which helps. I am trying to think of any straight sports movies that superb examples of writing, acting or directing.

I actually agree with you. Sports movies do tend to be overrated. When I was looking at my highest rated sports movies (aside from some sports documentaries) the highest rated ones were actually Money Ball, and The Legend of Bagger Vance. Both which are tier 8.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

hellboy76 wrote:

Actually, there are a lot more than you think. I consider Slap Shot to easily be the greatest sports films ever (Raging Bull is a very distant second) and in fact, one of the greatest movies ever, period.

Mean Machine was also quite excellent in all three categories. While definitely flawed, He Got Game had a certain amount of skill in each area, too.

And I haven't even seen pictures like "Breaking Away" or "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" yet.

stuie299- That's because you have barely watched any sports films made before 1990 or so.

hellboy76
6340 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

ShogunRua wrote:Actually, there are a lot more than you think. I consider Slap Shot to easily be the greatest sports films ever (Raging Bull is a very distant second) and in fact, one of the greatest movies ever, period.

Mean Machine was also quite excellent in all three categories. While definitely flawed, He Got Game had a certain amount of skill in each area, too.

And I haven't even seen pictures like "Breaking Away" or "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" yet.

stuie299- That's because you have barely watched any sports films made before 1990 or so.

I completely forgot about Slap Shot. Maybe because it was a comedy. I have not seen Mean Machine or He Got Game, I will have to check them out.

stuie299
1454 Ratings

Post by stuie299 »

ShogunRua wrote:
hellboy76 wrote:

Actually, there are a lot more than you think. I consider Slap Shot to easily be the greatest sports films ever (Raging Bull is a very distant second) and in fact, one of the greatest movies ever, period.

Yeah the first thing that came to my mind when I was thinking about good sports movies was that I needed to watch Breaking Away.