PTA

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
ayall
1652 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: PTA

Post by ayall »

3dRevelation wrote:
ayall wrote:No doubt expectations are high, he's a wonderful film maker and has deserved his reputation of excellence.
I'm certain he will not disappoint, but he's set the bar extremely high for himself. (like a gold metal winner trying to break his previous world record).

This is my problem too. I so want The Master to be the best film that PTA has made yet, but another part of me really doesn't think he will top Magnolia and There Will Be Blood. I have to try to calm my expectations a bit, so that if it doesn't live up to them, then I won't be so crushed. I do expect it to be better than both Hard Eight and Punch Drunk Love (although I know there are people who really love the latter). All of his other films are in my Tier 10, and I don't think I can go in assuming I'll get another one of those.

Speculation is a dangerous game, but i too enjoy playing.

Will "The Master" be better than the average Hollywood Film? I'd say "yes" is likely a safe bet.
Will "The Master" be better than "TWBB" (my favorite all-time movie)? I'd say "no" is likely a safe bet.

Each individual can perform this exercise with any movie and easily pin-point their exact expectations.
Luckly PTA has directed enough movies that this exercise can be fairly done with just PTA flicks.

I too hold TWBB & Magnolia is my favorite PTA films.
My Rankings of PTA movies goes; TWBB, Magnolia, Boogie Nights, PDL, Hard 8, C&C.

I expect "The Master" to at-least fall between Boogie Nights(T-10) & PDL(T-9).

Jorg
4362 Ratings

Post by Jorg »

http://www.fandango.com/movie-trailer/e ... 2274159120

Really disappointed that Americans will be able to see this in a mere 13 days when I will have to wait until december 6th :( Wouldn't surprise me if it's already on DVD/Blu-ray by that time.

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

Jorg wrote:http://www.fandango.com/movie-trailer/exclusive:_the_master__truth_tv_spot-trailer/136945/2274159120

Really disappointed that Americans will be able to see this in a mere 13 days when I will have to wait until december 6th :( Wouldn't surprise me if it's already on DVD/Blu-ray by that time.

I actually have to wait 20 days haha. It comes out in New York and Los Angeles in 13 days.

ayall
1652 Ratings

Post by ayall »

Despite the drought of good movies at the moment, i don't see this as having a big opening weekend.

I haven't seen any marketing or advertising, no buzz beyond the inter-web. Kinda disappointing.

I hope i'm not in a empty theater seeing this movie by myself.

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

ayall wrote:Despite the drought of good movies at the moment, i don't see this as having a big opening weekend.

I haven't seen any marketing or advertising, no buzz beyond the inter-web. Kinda disappointing.

I hope i'm not in a empty theater seeing this movie by myself.

I saw Lawless yesterday and they showed the trailer for The Master, but I haven't seen anything on TV yet. I don't know if will have a big opening either. It sucks though. People don't know what they are going to miss.

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

The Master won the silver lion for Best Direction at Venice, and also the Volpi Cup for Best Actor was shared between Phoenix and Hoffman. Apparently it would have won the Golden Lion also, but I guess there is some kind of a rule that a film can't win more than two major awards, so the jury ended up giving the Golden Lion to Kim Ki-Duk's Pieta.

Needless to say, this only further increases my anticipation. Less than two weeks until I get to see it. I envy those in NY and LA that get to see it a week earlier.

Edit: There is also a new clip that came out yesterday (I probably should mention not to play this out loud at work or in front of children):

Jorg
4362 Ratings

Post by Jorg »

Ebert 2.5 stars review (haven't read it of course :P ): http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... /120919984

Rex Reed score was more predictable: 1/4 stars

Awaiting criticker reviews.. Especially interested in hearing what people think about it after a second or third watch.

3dRevelation
1164 Ratings

Post by 3dRevelation »

Jorg wrote:Ebert 2.5 stars review (haven't read it of course :P ): http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... /120919984

Rex Reed score was more predictable: 1/4 stars

Awaiting criticker reviews.. Especially interested in hearing what people think about it after a second or third watch.

Yeah I've pretty much stayed away from a lot of reviews and stuff too. I know Peter Travers from Rolling Stone loved it and I tend to agree with him most of the time. I have huge expectations though. I'm going to see it on Saturday, so I should have a mini-review up some time after I see it. I can't wait.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Hate to say it but it was PTA's worst

Jorg
4362 Ratings

Post by Jorg »

Pickpocket wrote:Hate to say it but it was PTA's worst

Ok now I'm officially worried.. So did he pull a Tree of Life on us with a hipster collection of mediating moments? Was really expecting sort of like a spiritual TWBB with a strong narrative but most people say it's not.

"The Master’s disjointed narrative and the meandering, plotless, semi-episodic nature of the flick doesn’t lend itself to being fully absorbed in a single viewing, certainly."

I don't know what's happening with many directors these days.. Maybe they are just too full of themselves..