Canvassing opinions on TV series

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
JooJoo
6023 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Canvassing opinions on TV series

Post by JooJoo »

On a re-watch of Sopranos, I found that last season lacking more than I remembered. Main problem being that they were trying to cram way too much messages into one season (environmental, theological, sexuality, existential). I do admire the gay issue, though, simply as an outright troll to the mindset of what the typical fan of this genre of film/tv tends to be. There's just something wrong with the pace of it all when you watch both parts of it as a single season.

nauru
1667 Ratings

Post by nauru »

From the list in the original post:

Battlestar Galactica is amazing, easily the best sci-fi show I've ever seen. Great plot and pacing; every episode advances the plot in a meaningful way. You must watch from episode 1, in order.

Breaking Bad -- Excellent pacing and cinematography. If you have trouble relating to and sympathizing with main characters who are professional criminals, then you might not like it. Personally I really like all the main characters, and the acting is basically unparalleled. You must watch from episode 1, in order.

The Wire -- The first time I tried to watch it I couldn't get into it at all within the first 3 episodes. Nothing is explained and there is no gradual introduction of the 50+ characters who are all important. (Also the characters have very thick accents so depending on where you are from, you may have to listen really closely, and/or put on subtitles at certain points.) Then I tried the first couple of episodes again with a friend who had already watched the whole series, and he answered my basic questions like "who is this guy in the court room" and "what is the relationship between these people, are they related or something". Once he gave me those basics then I was able to follow the plot and quickly was hooked on the show. Watched through to the finish and it was truly excellent. The level of the writing is beyond anything I've seen on TV. Again, you must watch from episode 1, in order.

Boardwalk Empire -- This series is not quite at the level of the first three due to some minor pacing issues and the whole first season being dedicated to a boring, crappy and fictional character, but it's still pretty neat to watch the rise of Lucky Luciano, Arnold Rothstein, Enoch Johnson (renamed in the show to Enoch "Nucky" Thompson), Al Capone during the prohibition era. Future seasons may yet introduce to the storyline Bugsy Siegel, Dutch Schultz, Bumpy Johnson, and other legendary criminals from the interwar period. The sets and costumes are fantastic. You need to watch from episode 1, in order. First season focuses on Jimmy and kind of sucks but the series gets better.

Deadwood -- too dull and boring for my tastes, with no characters that I care about. Watched for 2 seasons waiting for the payoff, and there was basically nothing.

Mad Men -- way too dull and boring, and I really don't care about any of the characters at all. I found it self-important to the point of being unwatchable. If you are nostalgic about the 1960s maybe you'll like it, but I thought Boardwalk Empire was a much more engaging and decently paced portrayal of the 1920s (with equal-or-better level of production design) than Mad Men was of the 1960s.

The Sopranos -- I tried for 3 seasons to figure out what the big deal was about this show and it just seemed to go nowhere. Three full seasons I invested and got basically nothing in return.

djross
5325 Ratings

Post by djross »

Thanks to all who responded.

TrixRabbi
4057 Ratings

Post by TrixRabbi »

Howabout Fishing With John?

Just1n
275 Ratings

Post by Just1n »

Of the series I have seen these are must see imo.

The Wire - Best thing i have ever seen on the small screen. The scope and depth of the story and the realness of the characters is just amazing. Must see imo.

OZ - Brilliant set of characters. Set entirely in a prison.

Battlestar Gallactica - best sci fi series hands down.

Game of Thrones - tits and arse and more tits

The Walking Dead - gore and zombies. First season drags a bit but gets better after that.

Weeds - entertaining. The first 3 seasons are really good. Downhill after that.

The Killing - suspenseful murder mystery. Two seasons to solve one murder. From what i have read the Norwegian original is much better.

sebby
6293 Ratings

Post by sebby »

Mad Men is for me the only perfect TV show ever made. Season 5 of Mad Men ranks up there with Season 1 of Deadwood, Season 3 of Northern Exposure, and Season 1 of Twin peaks as the best season of television ever.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

djross wrote:Good television series do exist. For me, the pinnacle is represented by Bergman's Scenes from a Marriage (score: 100) and Fanny and Alexander (94), and Syberberg's Hitler – ein Film aus Deutschland (98), probably followed by von Trier's The Kingdom and perhaps Lynch's Twin Peaks.

("Scenes from a Marriage" "Fanny and Alexander" "The Kingdom" "Twin Peaks") search results:
http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php.?/ ... e__st__-10
https://wondersinthedark.wordpress.com/ ... ure-polls/

TV that's daring beyond of the script? (Comedy should get a say here.)

TrixRabbi wrote:Howabout Fishing With John?

Yeah, I read that wrong.

b4con
2906 Ratings

Post by b4con »

Some of my all time favorites are
Six Feet Under
Battlestar Galactica
Lost
Twin Peaks
Dollhouse

martryn
1993 Ratings

Post by martryn »

I think Arrested Development bears mentioning. Sure, it's a "sitcom", but it might possibly be the greatest television show in the history of television. According to some. And a great time to watch it, as they're making a final season and a movie this year, I hear. The series builds on itself, with lots of inside jokes, so if you've only managed to catch an episode here or there, you were probably lost, but watch from episode 1 and be hooked.

I'll second everyone who mentioned Breaking Bad or the Wire. Especially the Wire, as you don't have to actually finish the series to appreciate it. Every season is a new plot with the same cast of characters, but you have to watch until at least season 3, which is where it crests.

I do agree that Battlestar Galactica started as one of the greatest sci-fi series of all time, but it sorta crashed and burned in later seasons, and the ending just sucked, so I don't agree with all the hype. Personally I think Firefly is the greatest sci-fi series of all time, despite being held to only a dozen episodes and no budget. There's a reason Firefly has a cult following. Joss Whedon is a genius with a script.

Walking Dead is decent. The second season will make you want to kill yourself, but if you keep your head down and make it through it the third season more than makes up for it.

Dexter is also decent, though that's better taken a single season at a time, enjoyed, digested while you watch something else, and then returned to a few months later. Watching all of Dexter in a single go will burn you out.

The Shield is solid. Justified is pretty solid, thanks to how fantastic Timothy Olyphant is. If you enjoy Justified, also check out Longmire, which is a similar vein and features Battlestar alum Katee Sackhoff.

Game of Thrones is probably my most anticipated television series. Watch a single scene with Peter Dinklage and I swear you'll be hooked. Plus tits.

HBO's The Newsroom has had a single fantastic season. Aaron Sorkin and Jeff Daniels. And despite not mentioning British television, Sherlock is fantastic. Much better than the American counterpart, Elementary.

Some honorable mention sitcoms: Louis is fantastic. Louis C.K.'s stand-up act turned into a sitcom. When it's funny, it's hilarious. When it's not funny, it's not funny on purpose. And then it's poignant. Also It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has some of the most crass and depraved humor you can find on television. Watch the Dumpster Baby episode and try not to laugh. Definitely not your typical sitcoms.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

I found this old Twin Peaks thread.

Looks like Carnivale's been mentioned, but The Prisoner.

And I have no excuse not to watch Lain this year. The first episode was fully immersive when sleep-deprived.