Zero Dark Thirty

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Zero Dark Thirty

Post by ShogunRua »

ayall wrote:I'm nowhere near sane. :lol:

Or interesting. Or intelligent. Or with anything valid to add to the discussion.

3DRevelation wrote:I must be unfactual. I personally think The Hurt Locker is better than Citizen Kane. And it isn't even a slight difference. The Hurt Locker is in my tier 10 while Citizen Kane is in my tier 6. IMO Citizen Kane is vastly overrated. Just another piece of evidence that film opinion is subjective. In fact I'm not even sure how one can be objective about film. Every film impacts people differently.

While I do love Citizen Kane, I always like to inform people that no less an authority than Ingmar Bergman HATED Citizen Kane.

This presents a huge conundrum for those people who don't think for themselves and rely on arguments about what "respectable critics" believe. On the one hand, Citizen Kane is a unanimously well-loved film among critics.

On the other hand, arguably the greatest director to ever live, Bergman, who knew a hundred times more about cinema than an Ebert does, thought it was crap.

And yes, I rated The Hurt Locker very slightly higher than Citizen Kane as well.

Dunder74
1281 Ratings

Post by Dunder74 »

Hey ShogunRua, why do you like The Hurt Locker?

I thought it was pretty forgettable because the tension never hit me. I also like films because directors will sometimes try a funny trick with the camera. Bigelow's direction in The Hurt Locker, however, was so boring.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Dunder74 wrote:Hey ShogunRua, why do you like The Hurt Locker?

I thought it was pretty forgettable because the tension never hit me.

Indeed, if you never felt the tension, it's little surprise you weren't impressed. For me, "The Hurt Locker" is the most tense film I have ever seen. The tension was like a tsunami wave; at times, damn never overwhelming.

No film that I have seen was so good in conveying the tension as well as the confusion of war. And all those little details...wonderful. What was the nature of that boy vendor? What really happened to him? Who was lying? Who was telling the truth? Riveting stuff.

There are a lot of other things I loved about the film (Renner's performance, the ending), but that was what really made it such a stand-out masterpiece.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Dunder74 wrote:I thought it was pretty forgettable because the tension never hit me. I also like films because directors will sometimes try a funny trick with the camera. Bigelow's direction in The Hurt Locker, however, was so boring.

I can only conclude that what you like and don't like is directly proportional to its Glib Factor (GF) being high or low.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

does ayall have aspergers?

ayall
1652 Ratings

Post by ayall »

Pickpocket wrote:does ayall have aspergers?

not medically declared.

I just see no reason to get upset and hurl insults on an inter-web forum.

I enjoy trolling as much as the next guy, but i guess my life doesn't suck so much that i feel the need to take out my anger and frustrations on anonymous strangers.

I obviously know, and have stated numerous times, that taste in the arts (such as movies and music) is extremely subjective and based on individual preferences (obviously some people like Ashley Simpsons singing, though I doubt I'll ever understand why).

As for some members on this forum needing to be mean/malicious, i think it speaks more volume about the poster then the target.
Quoting one of my favorite films, The Social Network; "You write your snide bullshit from a dark room because that's what the angry do nowadays."

I enjoy less moderated public forums such as Criticker because of my staunch support in the Freedom of Speech, but most forums i post to these days are hidden in private (invite only) communities that are heavily moderated to keep out trolls, which i must admit tend to yield a much more inclusive environment.

ayall
1652 Ratings

Post by ayall »

movieboy wrote:
ayall wrote:I enjoy trolling as much as the next guy, but i guess my life doesn't suck so much that i feel the need to take out my anger and frustrations on anonymous strangers.

You mean like this - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2707&p=29847#p29870

Yes, exactly like your "non-sequitur" comment ;)

movieboy wrote:I have a problem with is assuming that putting in a "no offense meant" disclaimer is enough to hide the maliciousness. You really need to be less angry

what exactly was so malicious? or angry?
saying THL is a good film but doesn't belong in "top 50 masterpieces of all time"?
that's not even specifying film masterpieces, which i gave the benefit of the doubt.
comparing THL to Sistine Chapel? hahaha

movieboy wrote:present something concrete reasons as compared to just saying some critic liked it or disliked it.

Well, this isn't THL thread, but i stated concrete reasons why Bigelow isn't anything special.
her mediocre (nothing special production ability), her obsession with the US military and her distorted one sided point of view. I referenced other critics, because you can find specific reasons there if that's what you're looking for.

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

Dunder74 wrote:Hey ShogunRua, why do you like The Hurt Locker?

I thought it was pretty forgettable because the tension never hit me. I also like films because directors will sometimes try a funny trick with the camera. Bigelow's direction in The Hurt Locker, however, was so boring.

She did use funny camera tricks for the hurt locker. High speed, excessive shakiness/zooming, weird angles/perspective, etc. The lack of theses types of annoying tricks is one small reason the 0Dark30 is better than THL.

Dunder74
1281 Ratings

Post by Dunder74 »

Stewball wrote:
Dunder74 wrote:I thought it was pretty forgettable because the tension never hit me. I also like films because directors will sometimes try a funny trick with the camera. Bigelow's direction in The Hurt Locker, however, was so boring.

I can only conclude that what you like and don't like is directly proportional to its Glib Factor (GF) being high or low.

Am I correct in assuming that by a high or low Glib Factor you mean the degree to which a director makes his/her film obvious or superficial?

That conclusion is a bit unfounded, wouldn't you say? All I meant by that statement was films can be bettered through a creative director.

Bojangles wrote:She did use funny camera tricks for the hurt locker. High speed, excessive shakiness/zooming, weird angles/perspective, etc. The lack of theses types of annoying tricks is one small reason the 0Dark30 is better than THL.

Oh come on, shaky cam is such a cheap trick. I don't remember the weird angles you mentioned, though. I should rewatch the film before going to see Zero Dark Thirty.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Dunder74 wrote:Am I correct in assuming that by a high or low Glib Factor you mean the degree to which a director makes his/her film obvious or superficial?

More like how a critic bases their critique on nonchalant, offhand, superficial, slippery and cavalier motivations.Image