MirrorMask (2005)

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

MirrorMask (2005)

Post by Stewball »

Surreal, stunning and BIZARRE, yet so captivating I spent all my time just trying to keep up and take it all in. One of a kind. There's nothing to really compare it to, but if Lewis Carroll had possessed CGI, and if Alice had been 15, it would have looked like this. It never made it passed 50 screens in the US even with Henson's name on it. WTF? Supposed to be straight to DVD. (I'm assuming the buildings at Brighton UK are/were not in such a dilapidated state in 2003 when it was filmed or the present.)

I think this is the first movie I've ever bought the DVD of after only seeing it at home (on the INDIE Image Channel BTW. ) I've bought them cold a few times and always regretted it.

martryn
1993 Ratings

Re: MirrorMask (2005)

Post by martryn »

I actually wish they had a larger budget to work with. I liked the ideas of all the visuals, but they didn't even come close to integrating stuff seamlessly, and that largely spoiled the illusion for me. And I wasn't a fan of the main character. The idea of someone escaping from an abnormal life of excitement and adventure to join the "real world" is intriguing, though.

I don't know. Movie felt like it was half done. On one hand you've got great visuals and themes that really toy with the imagination, but on the other, the lack of a budget seriously hampered the special effects and the script seemed very erratic. I couldn't really follow the characters' motivations or goals, or even buy into their reactions to the events occurring around them.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

martryn wrote:I actually wish they had a larger budget to work with. I liked the ideas of all the visuals, but they didn't even come close to integrating stuff seamlessly, and that largely spoiled the illusion for me. And I wasn't a fan of the main character. The idea of someone escaping from an abnormal life of excitement and adventure to join the "real world" is intriguing, though.

I don't know. Movie felt like it was half done. On one hand you've got great visuals and themes that really toy with the imagination, but on the other, the lack of a budget seriously hampered the special effects and the script seemed very erratic. I couldn't really follow the characters' motivations or goals, or even buy into their reactions to the events occurring around them.

Perhaps it's no coincidence that low budget movies are often bizarre, which can also be a script short-cut. It is what it is. (Ooooo, profundity so early in the morning.)

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

Not much to add but thought I'd join the chorus of approval. Caught this last Saturday morning and really liked it, easily beat Stardust and Coraline to become my favourite Gaiman-based film yet. Gonna pick up Neverwhere (1996) now.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Gaiman eh, well, guess I can't say I never heard of him now, but I could have a few minutes ago. Have to check Neverwhere out.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Neverwhere has some great ideas, but the BBC budget kills the production. Read the book instead.

I'm a big fan of Gaiman, but I found MirrorMask a little too "kiddy" for my tastes.

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

TheDenizen wrote:Neverwhere has some great ideas, but the BBC budget kills the production. Read the book instead.

I'm a big fan of Gaiman, but I found MirrorMask a little too "kiddy" for my tastes.

Thanks D., seen enough of your reviews to know you know your shiz here. Just placed Neverwhere into the 'to watch' pile indefinitely. Problem is finding time to read; I've had American Gods in the 'to read' pile for nearly two years. If I don't read that before the (possible) glossy HBO adaptation I'll miss an opportunity at hipster-style smugness :lol:

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Cool. I read a ton of books as well as watching movies...I'm pretty sure I've read just about everything Gaiman has published. American Gods is better than Neverwhere IMO...read that first :P

Ag0stoMesmer
4943 Ratings

Post by Ag0stoMesmer »

Well, I still haven't found who 'borrowed' my copy of American Gods and now it's happening, Anansi Boys too -both telly shows though, for the best I guess.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Cautiously optimistic for an American Gods series.... :)