Recent dramas with MANLY men

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Recent dramas with MANLY men

Post by ShogunRua »

Komond wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:
Komond wrote:
Who cares if it was sarcastic, you were assuming there was no options of that kind of movie so I was willing to help you being enlighted,

Of course; you are so terribly wise! By the way, you might look less stupid if you actually learned how to spell "enlightened".

Sorry, English is not my first language,

It's not my first language, either.

Komond wrote:Also, True Grit is not a remake, it's based in a book previous to both films.

It is a remake. That's what we call any new version of a previous film bearing an identical title and very similar plot. Yes, it's also an adaptation of a book, but this is not mutually exclusive.

Komond wrote:About the movies seen, I'm just surprised you talk about how recent films doesn't portray men the way you think they look manly,

Except I never said this at all. edkrak did.

And the context in which you chortled down your nose at me for not having seen those modern films had absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand. It's silly to pretend otherwise.

Komond wrote:About the rest I just read you calling me dumb troll or arrogant child... and who know what's next, when I was actually explaining my point using arguments just to be called things in change, so I don't think you deserve more time that I gave you, any reasonable person would stop after receiving that kind of answer, actually. You don't like me and I don't like you, fine.

A fine way way to avoid defending your ridiculous, incorrect assumptions and deliberate misrepresentations of what both myself and edkrak wrote.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Komond wrote:
Stewball wrote:The Flowers of War?

I will include some spoilers for this movie http://www.criticker.com/film/The_Flowers_of_War/ so those who didn't watch it better not read it:

[spoiler]Bale character isn't an independent man? Also, he's key to the saving of all the girls.

We have the boy, but being underage we can also agree he's quite brave and also able to sacrifice for a greater good. Not dominant, but again, he's not even an adult yet, he's not dominant because he's a minor in war time.

Then, most of the men that appear in the movie, though secondary, they're all soldiers, militars, far from what would be called emasculated or not-dominant (many are even abusive, considering it a movie about a infamous massive rape).[/spoiler]

Are soldiers who rape and murder unarmed women manly? (Were members of the Nazi SS manly?) The women had the characteristics of what most would think of as manly. Note the title, The Flowers of War.

EbelC
3530 Ratings

Post by EbelC »

Stewball wrote:
Are soldiers who rape and murder unarmed women manly? (Were members of the Nazi SS manly?) The women had the characteristics of what most would think of as manly. Note the title, The Flowers of War.

I didn't say they were manly, I say they weren't emasculated or not dominant.

Then, most of the men that appear in the movie, though secondary, they're all soldiers, militars, far from what would be called emasculated or not-dominant (many are even abusive, considering it a movie about a infamous massive rape).

Anyway, they're not the main characters, and even considering the title (as far as I'm know the term flower is always used in literature as something "weak" and "delicate", also in this particular case obviously apply for something weak and beautiful trapped in the middle of a horrible and hard thing as war, so if I note the title it doesn't actually help) and what one would expect for an asian movie called "Flowers of War", the main character is white and a male (Bale) and he has the characteristics of a manly character. Was the question for movies without strong female characters, or was it a question for movies with manly and dominant man characters? In that case, The Flowers of War applies, because that's the way men are portrayed.

The way to show I'm wrong would be showing me the Flowers of War:
a) Has no men characters (that's obviosly false considering the leading role, and any cast list will show other men characters)
b) The men are portrayed as emasculated, not dominant men (I don't see you have prooved that's wrong, not even remember scenes that show them that way).

Also, for the record, criminality, violence and rape are characteristics that appear in a much higher value in men than women (as shown in many studies all around the world, I've never seen a source that prooved they were shown in the same amount in both sex or were higher in women), so despite what we like, the characteristics apply more to one sex than the other. Maybe you don't like to consider it manly (despite the statistics), but there's no place in world you can consider it femenine. If you have to put it in some pole, that pole is statistically the male one.

nauru
1667 Ratings

Post by nauru »

John Adams
The Company
Game Change
The Grey
The Fighter
Die Fälscher (2007)

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

I recommend Bronson starring Tom Hardy, however, Tom Hardy has been known to fuck men, ie, he is a bisexual, so, you might dislike the movie on that principal alone.
Last edited by Suture Self on Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Pink Narcissus.

Suture Self
2709 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

Criminal5 wrote:Pink Narcissus.

This man doesn't do ANYTHING for women. Men, on the other hand...hehehehe. ;]